Noise from rear on a 63

Old January 23rd 05, 08:29 PM
Gunnar

Default Noise from rear on a 63

I have a 63 conv. that I have had several years. I am now hearing a squeak
from the rear after I have driven it a few minutes. The squeak gets louder
the longer I drive it. I jacked up the rear and their is no noticeable play
in the rear wheels. Also there is no squeak heard while turning the wheels.
I tried greasing the U-joints but I could only get grease into 2 of the
joints. Is this how a rear wheel bearing failure starts or could it be
something else? I don't know of a vette mechanic locally.

Old January 24th 05, 09:08 AM
Barking Rats

In article >,
"Gunnar" (nospam)> wrote:

> I have a 63 conv. that I have had several years. I am now hearing a squeak
> from the rear after I have driven it a few minutes. The squeak gets louder
> the longer I drive it. I jacked up the rear and their is no noticeable play
> in the rear wheels. Also there is no squeak heard while turning the wheels.
> I tried greasing the U-joints but I could only get grease into 2 of the
> joints. Is this how a rear wheel bearing failure starts or could it be
> something else? I don't know of a vette mechanic locally.

In my experience, squeaks aren't generally suspension or drivetrain
related. If it *were* eminating from a rotating part, like a bearing or
U-joint, it's frequency would mimic any change in the car's speeds. (My
rear bearings had a growling/grinding sound when they went on my '67.)
There's not too much back there that isn't a rotating part...

Could it be your hardtop's or convertible top's rear bow
weatherstripping rubbing against the decklid? Another thought might be
the spare tire rubbing against it's housing walls. Try putting your knee
on the rear bumper and pushing the car up and down. Or stand at one of
the rear quarter panels and rock the car side to side.

(I suppose it could be a suspension bushing, but that wouldn't be a
squeak that is continuous as it would only occur when the parts are
moving substantially vertically - my '72 has a sorta squeak from the
poly bushings when I go over my driveway to street entrance at an angle.)
Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old January 24th 05, 10:57 PM
Who Me?

On my 64, I heard a noise coming from the rear after driving for a bit,
but I only heard it on turns...

All I needed was a differential fluid change.

I know this isn't exactly what you describe, but who knows..

Just wanted to get this info out there, cause it took me a long time to
find this simple fix...

Rick

Old January 24th 05, 11:57 PM
Zak

Haven't followed the entire thread, ... but
On my 78 I have to drain the differential fluid and put in a positraction
addition to stop the chatter about every 3-4 years. When the chatter is
there it sounds like grinding actually. Usually happens when starting out
again after stopping for a traffic light, then suddenly frees up again.

Regards.

"Who Me?" > wrote in news:1106607464.902479.225920
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: