Interior Light Delay unit - Golf III - Where is it?

Old January 9th 05, 09:49 PM
Matt B.

"Ingo Braune" > wrote in message
> Ah, yes I forgot about the fact that production for the US moved to Mexico
> while the A2 was still in production. But AFAIK the mexican A2s share the
> electrical differences to the european A2s that the US-built had - like
> individual bulb holders in the tail-lights

Yes but that more has to do with how VW decided to meet US lighting
requirements and since US or Euro tails would meet local (Mexican) market
rules too, that's why the Mexican plant turned out Golfs with US-style
tails.

>and something with fusible links at the battery.

Not that I know of there. My '91 is the same CEII system as on late Euro
A2s. I've never seen fusible links near the battery on my car.

> Now this might have been what you call base model, but as I already wrote
> in my other posting you could go way more "base" in europe.

Sounds like it.

Our "base" Golf from '88 to '89 was basically a 2-door (don't think there
was a "base" 4-door those years) and the most obvious giveaway other than
the badge was just "Golf" was no right hand mirror. Can't remember what all
the other differences were...maybe a clock instead of a tach? Dunno.

Old January 9th 05, 11:12 PM
Ingo Braune

Matt B. wrote:
> "Ingo Braune" > wrote in message
>
>>Ah, yes I forgot about the fact that production for the US moved to Mexico
>>while the A2 was still in production. But AFAIK the mexican A2s share the
>>electrical differences to the european A2s that the US-built had - like
>>individual bulb holders in the tail-lights

> Yes but that more has to do with how VW decided to meet US lighting
> requirements and since US or Euro tails would meet local (Mexican) market
> rules too, that's why the Mexican plant turned out Golfs with US-style
> tails.

yes, that makes sense, but the move Westmoreland to Mexico was in July
1988 - as I just googled -

> My '91 is the same CEII system as on late Euro A2s.

and the CEII did come one year later Aug. 1989 with the 1990 model of
the A2 - in europe that was.
Now all we need is somebody with a August 1988 to July 1989 A2 made in
Mexico, to confirm wheter those's electrics were more euro- or US-style
prior to the introduction of the CEII. ;-)

> I've never seen fusible links near the battery on my car.

Again this makes sense on a CEII.

>>Now this might have been what you call base model, but as I already wrote
>>in my other posting you could go way more "base" in europe.

> Sounds like it.
>
> Our "base" Golf from '88 to '89 was basically a 2-door (don't think there
> was a "base" 4-door those years) and the most obvious giveaway other than
> the badge was just "Golf" was no right hand mirror. Can't remember what all
> the other differences were...maybe a clock instead of a tach? Dunno.

So you got at least a clock on the base model.

Ingo

Old January 10th 05, 02:44 AM
Matt B.

"Ingo Braune" > wrote in message
>Now all we need is somebody with a August 1988 to July 1989 A2 made in
>Mexico, to confirm wheter those's electrics were more euro- or US-style
>prior to the introduction of the CEII. ;-)

If the Bentley for US models is to be believed and if the fuse/relay panels
are also an indicator of the electrical system, here's how it breaks down
the different ones into groups.

Jettas had two styles of fuse/relay panels:
1985 to January 1989 (VIN 1G-KW400 000) Jetta
January 1989 through 1992 (VIN 1G-KW400 001) Jetta

Golfs and GTIs went through three groups:
1985 Golf/GTI (US production)
1986-1989 Golf/GTI (US production (same as the '85 panels but some
locations/functions changed))

1989 Golf/GTI (Mexico production, and a quick glance shows that it looks
like the '85 to January '89 Jetta one)
1990 through 1991 Golf/GTI (presumably Mexico production, same as the last
Jetta panel).

-Matt

Sending Unit for 37 Pierce Arrow steve silevrman Antique cars 2 November 22nd 04 06:09 PM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM
Temp. sending unit location 1966 AMC Ambassador w/ 287 V8 Jimmy Antique cars 0 October 14th 03 07:43 PM