E85 for 94 Saturn

Old August 3rd 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

Default E85 for 94 Saturn

"wavy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After looking over the following data, I've concluded that E85 EXISTS
> only so that the current bureaucratic slimeballs of stupidity can claim
> that "They are doing SOMETHING..." (when the current unsustainable
> situation is just fine with congress and the PREZ & the big oil
> connections)
> <snip>

There is no doubt much truth in that statement. But none of that would
matter if there were a clamor from consumers for an alternative, so I blame
us consumers more than I blame the politicians. <g>

Old August 5th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

On 2 Aug 2006 21:52:52 -0700, "wavy" > wrote:

>After looking over the following data, I've concluded that E85 EXISTS
>only so that the current bureaucratic slimeballs of stupidity can claim
>that "They are doing SOMETHING..." (when the current unsustainable
>situation is just fine with congress and the PREZ & the big oil
>connections)
>http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/FFV2000.shtml
>
>Your vehicle would burn SO much more E85 than straight gasoline, that
>you'd save money by spending $3 per gallon of gasoline than spending
>$2.50 per gallon for E85!
>Lets suppose your car gets 25mpg driving to work and back every day.
>At $3 per gallon, that's 12 cents per mile.
>Your 25mpg car MIGHT get something like 20mpg on E85. At $2.50 per
>gallon, that's 12.5 cents per mile.
>So 10,000 miles later you'll have spent $1200 on gasoline or $1250 on
>E85. You havent saved SQUAT.
>(and the 20mpg on E85 in a car that otherwise would get 25mpg on
>gasoline - that might be with a tailwind mostly going downhill)
>
>For E85 to be cost effective, it would have about 2/3 (or less) of the
>price of gasoline.
>-WaV

You have found out the truth. I expect people in dark suits wearing
dark sunglasses will be arriving soon. They might referrer to you as
"Mr. Anderson", but they really want you. Should have taken the blue
pill.

Face the truth. Recycling plastic bottles causes higher oil/energy
costs and more air pollution, since it takes a lot of energy to reduce
them back to raw material. Yet we do it.

Using products made from recycled plastics, verses virgin plastics,
costs more. To environment, to the manufacturer, and to the consumer.
Yet we do it.

Knowledge, education, and understanding is not the fuel for change.
Personal feelings, and being indoctrinated into the system, makes for
change. Special interest groups run this country, and like the
Soviets of the 90's - < 10% of the people impose their will on 100% of
us.

Expect E85 imposed as an option, and expect the yearly costs for using
gasoline to be adjusted up( via taxes, regulation, etc) to force E85
to be the cheaper fuel.

Wow, I've turned very cynical in my old age.

imho,

tom

Old August 11th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ned[_1_]

wavy wrote:
>What would it take to get a 94 or 95 SC2 to run on E85?
>Change in Fuel Delivery? Modified PCM?
>E85 is now available in my area and its CHEAPER (not cheaper ENOUGH,
>though)!
>-WaVy

WaVy, check out http://flextek.com/index.htm
they sell a conversion for most fuel injected vehicles
its a bit pricey, but I am going to try it .
just need to figure out how to unplug my injectors to
match the plugs with their kit [this is my first fi car].
it also comes with fuel system conditioner and oil
treatment to get your engine ready for E85.

Ned
1996 sl2, 5sp

Old August 11th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ned[_1_]

wavy wrote:
>After looking over the following data, I've concluded that E85 EXISTS
>only so that the current bureaucratic slimeballs of stupidity can claim
>that "They are doing SOMETHING..." (when the current unsustainable
>situation is just fine with congress and the PREZ & the big oil
>connections)
>http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/FFV2000.shtml
>
>Your vehicle would burn SO much more E85 than straight gasoline, that
>you'd save money by spending $3 per gallon of gasoline than spending
>$2.50 per gallon for E85!
>Lets suppose your car gets 25mpg driving to work and back every day.
>At $3 per gallon, that's 12 cents per mile.
>Your 25mpg car MIGHT get something like 20mpg on E85. At $2.50 per
>gallon, that's 12.5 cents per mile.
>So 10,000 miles later you'll have spent $1200 on gasoline or $1250 on
>E85. You havent saved SQUAT.
>(and the 20mpg on E85 in a car that otherwise would get 25mpg on
>gasoline - that might be with a tailwind mostly going downhill)
>
>For E85 to be cost effective, it would have about 2/3 (or less) of the
>price of gasoline.
>-WaV

OOp's, missed that you had already found the flextek site.
The flextek people say you only lose 2 or 3 mpg, but the
real issue as you said is cost effectiveness. There seems
like there will be a break in price in the next 2 years.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...7959/index.htm

this is a good article and not the only one I have read that
talks about new cellulosic ethanol plants being built and the
price of ethanol dropping.

I for one like the idea of my fuel money staying in the Americas.

Also if you have a good supply of E85 handy, I have 2 stations localy,
you could modify your engine to take advantage of E85's 105 octane.
Running 10:1 compression should bring your mpg back up.

--
Ned
1996 sl2, 5sp