Intrepid '99 Steering wheel play

Old September 18th 04, 09:27 PM
JM

Default Intrepid '99 Steering wheel play

Just bought a 99 Intrepid, 73K miles. There is about 1 1/2 inches free play
in the steering wheel, but the wheels are tight compared to each other. No
abnormal tire wear either. I have been reading on this group about inner tie
rod bushing wear (which the dealer says MIGHT be the issue) but unless my
logic is way off, wouldn't a worn inner tie rod bushing cause tore wear and
mis-adjusted toe alignment? What else might cause play in the steering
wheel? Other than this one small issue, the car is in top condition.

Is there anything I need to be concerned with or watch out for? This is not
my first Dodge, I have had a 96 Caravan, and I currently drive a 94 Dakota
(190K mile on the original automatic tranny and counting). I usually do ALL
my own work so I am not afraid to tear in and do whatever maintenance I need
to to prevent the major repairs later.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Jim

steering wheel makes scraping sound RgvKid BMW 0 December 29th 04 04:45 PM
steering wheel noise mdsarnelli BMW 6 October 8th 04 10:18 PM
Removing Steering wheel play on a 71 Rclink Corvette 6 September 21st 04 02:38 PM
'87 5000 cd Quatro steering wheel re fasten The Bald Ass Prairie Farm Audi 2 August 28th 04 09:20 PM