How do you seal the bead of a newly installed tire

Old April 27th 14, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ahmed E. Souaiaia

Default How do you seal the bead of a newly installed tire

I managed to manually slip a P255/60R16 tire onto the wheel but
when I put compressed air into the Shraeder valve (even with the
valve stem removed), all the air leaks out before the bead will
seal.

What's the trick to seal the bead so I can fill it up?
Old April 27th 14, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Ahmed E. Souaiaia wrote:
> I managed to manually slip a P255/60R16 tire onto the wheel but
> when I put compressed air into the Shraeder valve (even with the
> valve stem removed), all the air leaks out before the bead will
> seal.
>
> What's the trick to seal the bead so I can fill it up?

Put a rope or cable around the tire then use a large screw driver
or piece of pipe to tighten it up.
Lube the beads with soap, too.
Old April 27th 14, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 4/26/2014 8:28 PM, Ahmed E. Souaiaia wrote:
> I managed to manually slip a P255/60R16 tire onto the wheel but
> when I put compressed air into the Shraeder valve (even with the
> valve stem removed), all the air leaks out before the bead will
> seal.
>
> What's the trick to seal the bead so I can fill it up?

If you have a nylon packing band or something like it, cinch
it around the tire tightly then air it.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old May 3rd 14, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ahmed E. Souaiaia

Paul in Houston TX wrote, on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 20:41:48 -0500:

> Put a rope or cable around the tire then use a large screw driver
> or piece of pipe to tighten it up.

OK. I'll try, and report back.

It was hard to get the tire OFF the wheel, even with two people
and long tire irons, but it was really easy to get it back on.

Now, I'm just trying to fill it with air!

Old May 3rd 14, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 02 May 2014 20:52:02 -0500, "Ahmed E. Souaiaia"
> wrote:

>Paul in Houston TX wrote, on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 20:41:48 -0500:
>
>> Put a rope or cable around the tire then use a large screw driver
>> or piece of pipe to tighten it up.

>OK. I'll try, and report back.
>
>It was hard to get the tire OFF the wheel, even with two people
>and long tire irons, but it was really easy to get it back on.
>
>Now, I'm just trying to fill it with air!

This is how you do it. People have done it this way for years when
they had no better way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMsBSbFq-g
Old May 3rd 14, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Fri, 02 May 2014 20:52:02 -0500, "Ahmed E. Souaiaia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Paul in Houston TX wrote, on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 20:41:48 -0500:
>>
>>> Put a rope or cable around the tire then use a large screw driver
>>> or piece of pipe to tighten it up.

>> OK. I'll try, and report back.
>>
>> It was hard to get the tire OFF the wheel, even with two people
>> and long tire irons, but it was really easy to get it back on.
>>
>> Now, I'm just trying to fill it with air!

> This is how you do it. People have done it this way for years when
> they had no better way.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMsBSbFq-g

That works but if you overdue the ether you can destroy the tire and rim.

For stubborn ones I like to use an old tire. Set the mounted tire onto
the old tire with the larger offset side down. Lube the bead/rim area,
Now stand on the rim. You want to try to seat one side as far as
possible. Now flip the tire over lube the bead and GENTLY push on the
rim enough to bring the other bead ring up onto the rim. Now add air and
move the rim around a bit till it seats. Now add air to seat the beads
fully.

--
Steve W.

Recipe for a Coming National Crime Wave: 1. Saute 1 economic collapse. 2. Add 1 gun-grabbing left-wing "black" president. 3. Blend in terrorist pals, millions of newly-"empowered" ghetto blacks + 25 million newly amnestied [email protected] Driving 0 November 9th 08 09:12 AM
rear main seal (replacement with one piece seal) [email protected] Jeep 2 March 17th 07 04:32 PM
How to seat a bead. JohnH Driving 2 June 2nd 05 08:42 PM
diesel rabbit oil seal leak confirmation and seal replacement Robert Young VW water cooled 0 May 18th 05 06:19 AM
Stock GSA - bead separation Dave Jeep 6 January 4th 05 04:12 PM