89 jeep wrangler

Old July 19th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default 89 jeep wrangler

i just purchased 89 jeep wranlger 4cyl 2.5 liter,it has a hole in the
block.
what would you recommend doing? buying a recond. long block or try to
find a donor motor? does this have ax5 or ax15 tranny? first time jeep
owner
thanks leo

Old July 19th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Leo,

You can buy a complete 2.5 very cheap, a lot of people upgrade to the I6 or
v8's from the 2.5 and want to sell them. I would probably tear down and go
through a used one. You can get a brand new one on eBay for around $1200USD.
The trans is the AX5. Always replace the slave when you replace the clutch
on the AX5 of that vintage..

HTH

Carl

oups.com...

Old July 19th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

Keeping firmly in mind Novak are known LIARS, and full-of-****
Pollacks, this seems true:

The Novak Guide to the
Aisin-Warner AX5 Transmission

The Jeep AX-4 & AX-5 TransmissionThe Aisin Warner AX5 transmission was
a standard shift, five-speed transmission introduced in the 1984 XJ
Cherokee Jeep, and found in the 1984 to 2006 Jeep XJ, YJ & TJ models.
It is a light-duty transmission found behind the AMC 150 (2.5L) I4
engine. It was also found behind the GM 2.8L 60 degree V6 (early XJ
only).

The AX5 is prevalent, but sadly it's strength is minimal, making it a
questionable off-road transmission. Failures behind even stock engines
are not uncommon. We do not make any conversions components available
to retain the AX5 with six or eight cylinder engines.

Note that there is an AX4 transmission in early XJ models, which is
essentially the AX5, minus its overdriven fifth gear.

Features
The AX5 is a split-case, top shifting, overdrive transmission with the
shifter being located in the rear section of the transmission. The AX5
is fully synchronized in all gears. All gears are helically cut.

Identification
The AX5 transmission case is 16-1/2" long. It features a cast aluminum
case with a cast-iron mid-plate. The case is ribbed and features the
shifter in the rear quarter of the assembly. In the vein of newer
transmissions, the AX5 uses dowel pins for bellhousing alignment.

The Jeep AX5 has a 21 spline output shaft for connecting to the
transfer case input shaft. The AX5 was used with an internal
slave/throwout assembly up through the 1994 model year. In 1995, a more
conventional slave cylinder and cross-arm were used. The input shaft is
a 14 spline and its stickout length is 7-1/2".

The AX5 looks similar to the AX15 and are they are occasionally
confused in identification as well as interchange.

Transfer Case Compatibility
The Jeep AX5 was factory-married to the Jeep Jeep New Process (aka New
Venture) Model 231 transfer case.

Because of the weaknesses of this transmission, we do not make adapter
assemblies to join it to other transfer cases.

Engine Compatibility and Adaptability
AMC / Mopar Jeep
As the AX5 was married to the Jeep engines mentioned above, it is OEM
compatible with them.

Individuals, hoping to replace their AX5 occasionally assume the AX15
will replace it directly. The bellhousing patterns and spline counts
between these similar appearing transmissions are deceivingly close,
but not compatible.

The current, best all-around strategy for replacing the AX5 is to
replace it and 2.5L with an engine and transmission whose strengths are
better matched for the duties of a Jeep, as discussed below.

GM
Because of the transmission's weak service record behind even stock
Jeep powerplants, we do not offer any conversion to V6 or V8 power.
This is essentially a small car transmission in a truck. The customer's
efforts and funds are best spent converting to a stronger transmission
during the engine upgrade. This is not a difficult thing at all and
these details are discussed in the following articles:

Old July 19th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

Earle Horton wrote:
> You have the AX5. Don't listen to Ludwig. He is the group idiot. The
> stock transmission is fine for use with the stock engine, especially since
> there is hardly anything else that will fit without a lot of trouble. Do
> replace the clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder when you have the
> engine out, and clean the inside of the bell housing real well before
> assembly.

Playing to the gas again?

> Do you have a hole in the block from a connecting rod coming loose, or from
> freeze damage? Sometimes freeze damage can be repaired, if you can find
> someone expert in brazing cast iron. Otherwise, do you have engine
> rebuilders with a real good reputation locally? Find a core somewhere, and
> have the local guys rebuild it for you. Save on shipping, and have someone
> local you can complain to if it comes to that. Sometimes the recycling
> yards will install a used engine with a 30-day warranty, but you take your
> chances going that route.
>
> If you want to upgrade your power train, the Jeep Conversion Manual sold by
> Advance Adapters is a good educational resource. http://advanceadapters.com
> It's only $10.

A good used factory engine would be the way to go, particularly if the
AX5 came with it.

I did express doubts about Novak, but he has a point: behind the 4,
for girly driving, it's probably OK.

Old July 19th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

[...]

Earle

oups.com...

Old July 21st 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Bret Ludwig" > wrote in message
s.com...

---snippy---

> I did express doubts about Novak, but he has a point: behind
> the 4, for girly driving, it's probably OK.

You "express doubts" about people the same way I do, with one minor
difference. When I go after someone, they deserve it. I am pretty sure you
are not worth my trouble though.

Earle