Mysterious dead battery in 2000 Honda Accord

Old August 19th 10, 03:41 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_3_]

Default Mysterious dead battery in 2000 Honda Accord

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:28:03 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message
>

>>> That is pretty much the experience I have had with them. Maybe a few
>>> more
>>> years
>>> but not too much. The heat, the abuse, etc just seem to limit them.

>> Here in New England, batteries from Sears, AutoZone, etc seem to last ~5
>> years or so,
>>
>> I bought a genuine Toyota battery for my old Corolla in 1999. It drove
>> until 2004, sat for 2 years and then the battery was pulled and put in my
>> Mazda in Dec 2006. I just replaced it two weeks ago.

> That would seem to be very good performance for a battery that was left
> unattended for a couple of years. I rather doubt that most would
> give this type of service, granted the same conditions.

I should have bought another. Made by Exide, I believe.

Old August 19th 10, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

>>> Here in New England, batteries from Sears, AutoZone, etc seem to last ~5
>>> years or so,
>>>
>>> I bought a genuine Toyota battery for my old Corolla in 1999. It drove
>>> until 2004, sat for 2 years and then the battery was pulled and put in my
>>> Mazda in Dec 2006. I just replaced it two weeks ago.

>> That would seem to be very good performance for a battery that was left
>> unattended for a couple of years. I rather doubt that most would
>> give this type of service, granted the same conditions.

> I should have bought another. Made by Exide, I believe.

Exide, (Willard), batteries used to have an excellent reputation. I've
just not seen them around for a few years and suspect todays Exide may
not resemble those of yesteryear.

Other battery brands that I have found with good longevity include those
from the old Wester Auto, Sears Die Hard and current "gold" AutoZone.

But, my Honda guru sells Interstate and I get a break. We'll see as I
have never been particularly impressed with this brand.

(Anything Paul Harvey plugged, watch out!)

JT

Old August 19th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

In years past, I have bought three new Interstate batteries before.In my
opinion, they are much overated and not worth the extra money.About two
years ago, I bought an Autozone ''gold'' battery for my 1983 Dodge
van.The battery was made by Johnson Controls company.A very good
battery, in my opinion.
cuhulin

Old May 12th 14, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
> wrote:

>Having same promble with my 2000 V6 honda accord.bought a new ba3,alternator.charging system good.some1 please assit me am going crazy.08165222175

And, so, when you put an ammeter in series with the battery and leave the car
alone for a few minutes for everything to shut down, what is the current
draw?

And, when you start pulling fuses out one by one, which fuse is the big load
downstream from?

My favorite ones over the years have been the light in the glove compartment
stuck on (and you can't see it because the compartment is closed) and the
electric lock heater switch stuck closed.
--scott

Old May 13th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MLD

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> > wrote:

>>Having same promble with my 2000 V6 honda accord.bought a new
>>ba3,alternator.charging system good.some1 please assit me am going
>>crazy.08165222175

> And, so, when you put an ammeter in series with the battery and leave the
> car
> alone for a few minutes for everything to shut down, what is the current
> draw?
>
> And, when you start pulling fuses out one by one, which fuse is the big
> load
> downstream from?
>
> My favorite ones over the years have been the light in the glove
> compartment
> stuck on (and you can't see it because the compartment is closed) and the
> electric lock heater switch stuck closed.
> --scott

Add to that the trunk light not shutting off draining the battery every few
days. Took a while to find this one.
MLD