1993 firing problem. I need HELP

Old May 30th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dferdon

Default 1993 firing problem. I need HELP

I have a 1993 spd. 4.0 that will turn over but not start. for a while I
was able to bump the selenoid and provided there was fire from the plug
wire to the coil pack, it would crank up. When that no longer worked and
there was no fire to the coil,I replaced the coil pack. I cranked up once.
The second time I tried to take off in , it acted the same way. Turn over
but not fire up. Plenty of gas, New fuel pump and filter, new plugs and
wires, timing chain okay just no fire. Does anyone know whats going on
with this thing? I'm truely beginning to believe my truck is possessed!!!
Help !!!

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...ford.explorer/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old May 30th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"dferdon" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I have a 1993 spd. 4.0 that will turn over but not start. for a while I
> was able to bump the selenoid and provided there was fire from the plug
> wire to the coil pack, it would crank up. When that no longer worked and
> there was no fire to the coil,I replaced the coil pack. I cranked up once.
> The second time I tried to take off in , it acted the same way. Turn over
> but not fire up. Plenty of gas, New fuel pump and filter, new plugs and
> wires, timing chain okay just no fire. Does anyone know whats going on
> with this thing? I'm truely beginning to believe my truck is possessed!!!
> Help !!!

Just off the top of my head a couple of things that could cause it to not
fire would be a bad battery, bad battery cable(s), or a bad crankshaft
position sensor. Or possibly a bad wire somewhere (rats?) . Sometimes the
battery will have enough juice to turn the engine but (I guess) the computer
will just say no to sparks if the battery voltage is too low. Some people
have argued with me on this but it has happened to me. Jump starting may
or may not help as long as the bad battery is still in there and connected.
These engines are also notorious for bad battery cables, especially the
positive cable. I don't remember the exact symptoms of a bad ignition
switch but I would not rule that out either.

Old May 31st 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dferdon

Hmmm I never thought about a low battery. When I first started having this
trouble, I could easily start the truck by jumping the selenoid with a
screw driver. It worked for a short time, the got progressively harder.
When I put on the new coil pack, I was back to being able to start it
easily jumping the selenoid. What about the ignition control module or the
SPOUT connector? I dont know much about these two and dont want to disturb
them until Im more sure what their functions are.

Old May 31st 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MARVIN HUNT

try getting your ecm checked (computer) could have a fault in the
ignition processor, it sends a faint signal to your coil pack and tells
it when to turn off and on im almost 100% positive this is the problem.
location is under passenger side of dash located on kick panel. part is
only like 10 bucks at the junkyard.

Old June 2nd 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"dferdon" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hmmm I never thought about a low battery. When I first started having this
> trouble, I could easily start the truck by jumping the selenoid with a
> screw driver. It worked for a short time, the got progressively harder.
> When I put on the new coil pack, I was back to being able to start it
> easily jumping the selenoid. What about the ignition control module or the
> SPOUT connector? I dont know much about these two and dont want to disturb
> them until Im more sure what their functions are.
>
> --
> Message posted using

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...ford.explorer/
> More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

If you didn't yet check the crankshaft position sensor I'm not certain where
it is on your engine but on the '97 4.0 it's in the front, underneath,
pointing at the crankshaft pulley. It has two wires. Possible problems
might be a damaged wire, bad sensor, or dirty connection. If the computer
doesn't know what the crankshaft position is it won't spark. The cheapest,
easiest thing to do would be to check it for damage and clean the
connection.

Other than that I'd say it's time to get your error codes read. The codes
should point to whatever is at fault. Many auto parts stores will read the
codes for free so they can sell you parts.

1993 audi 90 v-6 problem Ardo Audi 1 September 4th 06 05:10 AM
1993 Buick, two pistons not firing (Distributorless Ignition System question) [email protected] Technology 4 January 6th 06 07:18 PM
Starting problem with E36 325 (1993) Andy BMW 2 November 4th 05 08:42 PM
1993 explorer XLT problem Stan Ford Explorer 3 May 31st 05 02:07 PM
1993 S4 Braking Problem.... The Rogue Audi 1 May 20th 04 06:32 AM