Jumper Cables hooked up wrong.

Old May 31st 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Jumper Cables hooked up wrong.

AZ Nomad > wrote:
>On Wed, 30 May 2007 13:46:59 GMT, Pop` > wrote:
>>deadcar wrote:
>>> So I hooked my jumper cables up wrong last night in the dark, and
>>> didn't notice the smoke until after trying to crank the dead
>>> Mitsubishi Mirage. The car with the good battery was a Toyota
>>> Corolla... The Toyota is fine, but the Mirage is dead. What did I
>>> do? Can it be fixed? It melted the rubber on the jumper cables.

>>First, learn the "touch tip" method of connecting batteries. Had you
>>touched the last jumper connection briefly and removed it, there would have
>>been so many sparks you'd have known there was an issue.
>> Then, learn to LOOK carefully.

>**** that. A better technique is to learn the difference between red
>and black. Unless it is pitch dark with a new moon and somehow the car
>with the good battery has no working headlights, this is trivial.

Yes, until you encounter the car whose owner used a red cable as a ground
connection because that's what he had around that day. I'll tell you,
THAT was an exciting experience.

>The Mirage will require that every electrical component with any semiconductors
>be checked. That includes the alternator, engine computer, ignition system,
>fuel pump, etc.

Yup.
--scott
Old May 31st 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Donald Lewis

On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:27:45 GMT, > wrote:

>"Donald Lewis" > wrote in message
>
>> Huh????
>>
>> Don
>> www.donsautomotive.com

>It would seem to me, Don,that if he put the jumpers on wrong, he is
>essentially connecting
>the batteries in a series circuit and is darn lucky that a battery didn't
>explode.

Typical crappy jumper cables will limit the peak current. Probably
were crappy since they melted. If they had been "00" gauge with
really stout clamps a battery explosion would be more likely and the
jumpers would not have melted.

>I am not sure which 'main fuse'

Fuse for alternator output and possibly other functions -- frequently
blows and saves the alternator.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old May 31st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

> wrote in
t:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>
>> An ignition device in a fairly OLD system, that's what. Like from
>> 1975 or earlier.
>>
>> OP did not give age of either vehicle in this dust-up.
>>
>> Don't think Mitsubishi ever sold a "Mirage" in North America. OP
>> appears

>> be posting from South-Eastern US, so the car may be a gray-market
>> import.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger

> That is pretty old. I remember the oil Kettering systems had
> resistors that decreased current during 'run', but were switched out
> of the circuit during 'start' conditions.

I believe it cut battery voltage to the coil to 8V during run, but was
bypassed to allow a full 12V during crank.

> I guess that is what he was
> referring to. But if so, it
> has nothing to do with a backward battery jump.

So Don has said, too.

--
Tegger

Old May 31st 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

deadcar wrote:
> So I hooked my jumper cables up wrong last night in the dark, and
> didn't notice the smoke until after trying to crank the dead
> Mitsubishi Mirage. The car with the good battery was a Toyota
> Corolla... The Toyota is fine, but the Mirage is dead. What did I
> do? Can it be fixed? It melted the rubber on the jumper cables.

Wow....

OK, normally when that happens the fuse link wires blow out.

These wires are normally at the end of one of the positive battery
cables either at a power distribution box or starter solenoid.

These wires will be on the same bolt as the batter cable and are about
8" long, fat and soft with a big tube crimp connector where they join
the harness pieces they protect.

The fuse link wire can be bought in bulk and new pieces crimped in or
sometimes the dealers sell them. At the cost the dealers want, I
usually visit the junk yard first.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 1st 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Donald Lewis" > wrote in message
> >I am not sure which 'main fuse'

> Fuse for alternator output and possibly other functions -- frequently
> blows and saves the alternator.

I dont believe I have such a fused circuit in my car. Will have to look at
the schematic.
Battery hooks directly to the alternator.

Jumper cables vs jumper battery? [email protected] Technology 12 November 10th 06 08:19 PM
BMW E39 Cables petrus BMW 1 May 11th 06 12:52 PM
What's a dummy lamp and an enthusiast jumper? meirman Chrysler 2 August 17th 05 06:07 PM
Clutch Cables? Becky Carter Hickman-Jones VW water cooled 5 October 23rd 04 01:36 AM
Driving without EGR valve hooked up the_brewmaster Saturn 4 July 19th 04 05:34 AM