1993 90s Instrument Panel

Old February 21st 05, 04:22 AM
Tracy

Default 1993 90s Instrument Panel

I need some help. I push the button next to the trip odometer and then my
speedometer dropped to zero and the main odometer along with the trip
odometer will not work. Can someone tell me what the button is I pushed is
called and How can I get the speed and odometer working again.
thanks for your help in advance.

Old February 21st 05, 05:23 AM
Grizzly

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:22:38 -0800, "Tracy" >
wrote:

>I need some help. I push the button next to the trip odometer and then my
>speedometer dropped to zero and the main odometer along with the trip
>odometer will not work. Can someone tell me what the button is I pushed is
>called and How can I get the speed and odometer working again.
>thanks for your help in advance.

Did you do this while the car was moving? Doing this may damage the
gears within the odometer.

Old February 21st 05, 11:22 AM
R@L

"Grizzly" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:22:38 -0800, "Tracy" >
> wrote:
>
>>I need some help. I push the button next to the trip odometer and then my
>>speedometer dropped to zero and the main odometer along with the trip
>>odometer will not work. Can someone tell me what the button is I pushed
>>is
>>called and How can I get the speed and odometer working again.
>>thanks for your help in advance.

> Did you do this while the car was moving? Doing this may damage the
> gears within the odometer.

Funny, everybody pushes the button while driving....

Ronald

Old February 21st 05, 02:32 PM
Steve Sears

You shouldn't on the older cars.........
Since the speedometer "went to zero" it suggests that it was "not zero" when
the button was pushed. Sounds like Tracy busted the trip odometer. There's
lots of stuff on Audifans about busting the trip while doing a rolling
reset - it pushes a plastic gear up a metal shaft in the assembly and it
fails to reingage with the motor that drives the odometer. I have never
heard that the speedometer drops to zero, but it was a good clue to have.
Now Tracy can either live without the odometer (so long as the speedo isn't
totally toast) or get a replacement instrument cluster OR (my personal fave)
take it apart and see how it works (and maybe even fix it!) - it might be a
good thing to have a spare as backup, in case the fix doesn't work (search
www.car-part.com) See:
http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/cluster-T89.htm
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
"R@L" > wrote in message
l...
------8<------snip

Old February 21st 05, 04:09 PM
R@L

"Steve Sears" > wrote in message
> You shouldn't on the older cars.........
> Since the speedometer "went to zero" it suggests that it was "not zero"
> when
> the button was pushed. Sounds like Tracy busted the trip odometer.
> There's
> lots of stuff on Audifans about busting the trip while doing a rolling
> reset - it pushes a plastic gear up a metal shaft in the assembly and it
> fails to reingage with the motor that drives the odometer. I have never
> heard that the speedometer drops to zero, but it was a good clue to have.
> Now Tracy can either live without the odometer (so long as the speedo
> isn't
> totally toast) or get a replacement instrument cluster OR (my personal
> fave)
> take it apart and see how it works (and maybe even fix it!) - it might be
> good thing to have a spare as backup, in case the fix doesn't work (search
> www.car-part.com) See:
> http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/cluster-T89.htm
> Cheers!
> Steve Sears
> 1987 Audi 5kTQ
> 1980 Audi 5k
> 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
> (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
> "R@L" > wrote in message
> l...
> ------8<------snip
>> > Did you do this while the car was moving? Doing this may damage the
>> > gears within the odometer.
>> >

>> Funny, everybody pushes the button while driving....
>>
>> Ronald

I guess it is something that 'might' happen but normally doesn't.

Ronald

Old February 21st 05, 04:54 PM
Grizzly

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:22:22 +0100, "R@L" > wrote:

>"Grizzly" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:22:38 -0800, "Tracy" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I need some help. I push the button next to the trip odometer and then my
>>>speedometer dropped to zero and the main odometer along with the trip
>>>odometer will not work. Can someone tell me what the button is I pushed
>>>is
>>>called and How can I get the speed and odometer working again.
>>>thanks for your help in advance.

>> Did you do this while the car was moving? Doing this may damage the
>> gears within the odometer.
>>

>Funny, everybody pushes the button while driving....

I did until I had a similar occurrence to the above.

water leaks into front of instrument panel jdcamper Saturn 0 December 29th 04 04:52 AM
'93 Dodgem Caravan Instrument Panel Ruge Dodge 2 October 12th 04 12:16 AM
Instrument Panel Cover Dan BMW 1 October 4th 04 03:45 PM
Repairing or Replacing the Digital instrument panel on a 1988 Chevy Beretta GT shdwaror General 0 March 3rd 04 03:01 PM