Bandless automatic transmissions?

Old May 26th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

Default Bandless automatic transmissions?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/s...s+transmission
Old May 29th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

KG wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 21:36:54 GMT, wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 23 May 2007 11:49:19 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I know Honda and Toyota have used bandless automatics for at least 20
>>>years, and Chrysler's A604 was also bandless.
>>>
>>>Any other bandless automatics out there?

>>If you want to sit in front of the computer all day long to find out,
>>try this site...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

> Sorry for the off topic, but what is a Bandless automatic transmissions, and how do they differ
> from the normal band type transmission?
> *****************

They don't have bands ;-)

OK, I assume you want a little more info than that. In an automatic
transmission, gear ratios are changed by either holding or releasing
different parts of a planetary gearset. You can hold the sun gear and
drive the planet carrier and tap power off the ring gear (ratio
step-up), hold the ring gear, drive the sun gear and tap power off the
planet carrier (ratio step down), hold the planet carrier, drive the sun
gear, and tap power off the ring gear (reverse), and many other
combinations especially when two or more planetary sets are daisy-chained.

Bands are a convenient way to hold the ring gear locked, since the ring
gear forms the outside of the planetary gear package and the band can
just clamp down on it. The downside is that they're a little trickier to
modulate smoothly than clutch packs, so clutch packs are easier to
control via computer. Other than that, bands and clutch packs are pretty
much interchangeable. The downside to clutch packs, by the way, is that
they have more parasitic drag when released than bands usually do.

Old May 30th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
KG

On Tue, 29 May 2007 17:29:58 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>KG wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 21:36:54 GMT, wrote:

>>>If you want to sit in front of the computer all day long to find out,
>>>try this site...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

>> Sorry for the off topic, but what is a Bandless automatic transmissions, and how do they differ
>> from the normal band type transmission?
>> *****************

>They don't have bands ;-)
>
>OK, I assume you want a little more info than that. In an automatic
>transmission, gear ratios are changed by either holding or releasing
>different parts of a planetary gearset. You can hold the sun gear and
>drive the planet carrier and tap power off the ring gear (ratio
>step-up), hold the ring gear, drive the sun gear and tap power off the
>planet carrier (ratio step down), hold the planet carrier, drive the sun
>gear, and tap power off the ring gear (reverse), and many other
>combinations especially when two or more planetary sets are daisy-chained.
>
>Bands are a convenient way to hold the ring gear locked, since the ring
>gear forms the outside of the planetary gear package and the band can
>just clamp down on it. The downside is that they're a little trickier to
>modulate smoothly than clutch packs, so clutch packs are easier to
>control via computer. Other than that, bands and clutch packs are pretty
>much interchangeable. The downside to clutch packs, by the way, is that
>they have more parasitic drag when released than bands usually do.

THANK YOU for the informative response. That was just what I was looking for, a quick
knowledgeable summation.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.
Old May 30th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

What's the name of that Swedish company that makes motorcycles and small
engine tools,stuff like that? Huskvarner? (I could cheat and look it up)
They used to build some motorcycles that had bandless automatic
transmissions.DAF too.And there are Comet torque converters,automatic
bandless transmissions.A bunch of others too,I think.
cuhulin

automatic transmissions daddy Chrysler 3 May 18th 07 07:41 PM
Automatic transmissions [email protected] Mazda 17 February 21st 06 12:56 AM
Why do cars with automatic transmissions have tachometers? TLittle General 88 October 21st 05 12:45 AM
Why do cars with automatic transmissions have tachometers? TLittle Technology 92 October 21st 05 12:45 AM
92 automatic transmissions 4 cylinder WarbirdAL Ford Mustang 1 December 16th 04 02:15 PM