1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 Acceleration Hesitates from a stop

Old August 7th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jimmy the Hand

Default 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 Acceleration Hesitates from a stop

> > > it
> > > gas.
> > > cuts
> > > is

> > > and
> > > owner
> > > properly?

Forget about the spark plugs unless you pull one out and it is
digustingly dirty. My '94 Explorer has the exact same problem. I
still haven't found the answer for it. The MAF is a great place to
start. Don't bother adapting any of your existing torx fittings for it
though. Just grab a punch and gently tap down the existing little
annoying middle tit on the two MAF sensor screws. They will crumble
like soft POS white metal that they are and you should be able to get a
regular torx on it after that(at least that's what I did). I'm not
guranteeing that this is going to fix your sluggish gas pedal(mine is
still like that) but it may help. Try what the other posters have said
first(because it is great information) and then post back with any
other problems. I'm not a mechanic but I have first hand experience
with the dreaded '94 Exlporer. Good luck.

Old August 7th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

alright i'm going to attempt to clean it today.

found a TSB on this:
http://v8sho.com/SHO/TSB982310MassAi...tamination.htm

i'm going to clean it with either maf cleaner or electronic parts
cleaner. in that tsb it says if i disconnect the maf connector and take
it for a drive and if the problems go away it's contanimated. they say
to replace it but i will just clean it. also

"DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. IT WILL ERASE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY AND
RESET LONG TERM FUEL TRIM AND BARO TO THEIR STARTING/BASE VALUES."

i've also heard by disconnecting the battery it is a good thing for the
computer to reread the values. whats your take on this?

Old August 7th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

also, how long would it take to reread the fuel ratings and such? will
mileage suck for a while?

Old August 7th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

ok puled the MAF out (didn't pull it out of the tube it sits in) just
disconnected it from the filter and the pip and sprayed the filaments
through the mesh shield and it seems to run awesome. Starts right off
the line.

next question, how do you adjust the gas pedal? it seems like i have to
touch it a bit more than usual before the revs go up or the engine
responds. This problem was there before, or is this normal on
explorers?

Old August 8th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dicko

My '94 is prone to the quite common "sticky butterfly plate in the
throttle body problem". All you do is pull off the air hose from the
front of the throttle body and spray the heck out of it with a
throttle body safe cleaner. There's a coating on the inside of the
throttle body that you dont want to disolve. I also lightly wipe with
a paper towel too to get some of the goop off. Concentrate where the
butterfly plate contacts the body housing. I have to repeat about
every 6 months.

dickm

Old August 8th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jimmy the Hand

jsanders wrote:
> alright i'm going to attempt to clean it today.
>
> found a TSB on this:
> http://v8sho.com/SHO/TSB982310MassAi...tamination.htm
>
> i'm going to clean it with either maf cleaner or electronic parts
> cleaner. in that tsb it says if i disconnect the maf connector and take
> it for a drive and if the problems go away it's contanimated. they say
> to replace it but i will just clean it. also
>
> "DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. IT WILL ERASE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY AND
> RESET LONG TERM FUEL TRIM AND BARO TO THEIR STARTING/BASE VALUES."
>
> i've also heard by disconnecting the battery it is a good thing for the
> computer to reread the values. whats your take on this?

I've disconnected and reconnected my batter a few times. I've never
noticed a large drop in fuel mileage or vehicle response. I've also
heard about this before but don't want to say much more due to my lack
of knowledge it.

Old August 8th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

hmm, interesting. anyway, it seemed to be a bit more hesitant, like the
timing was off just after i cleaned the maf, but after i took it for a
drive, it seemed to work itself out. anyway, hopefully the computer
will learn everything the way it should be because its going on a
1200km trip today and tomorrow, and coming back in a couple of weeks.
so 2400km.surely it will take some statistics, because before the tune
up it only got about 300km (186 miles) on the tank. Thats like 9 miles
per gallon.

Old August 10th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

Thanks a lot for your help guys! I heard before the tune up and the maf
was cleaned, it would get about 320km (198 miles) on 19 gallons of gas.
(9 - 10 MPG) Now, the update is 370km (229 miles) on 1/2 tank of gas,
which would be 9.5 gallons i suppose. (22 - 24 MPG) Thats highway
mileage though, but thats awesome for an explorer!