valves or pinging?

Old August 10th 05, 03:45 AM
chibitul

Default valves or pinging?

Hi, how can I tell the difference between valve misadjusment and
pinging? next time I fill up I am going to try higher octane, 93
instead of 87, if the noise goes away I conclude it is pinging, if the
noise remains I think it must be the valves. is this logic correct or
faulty? thanks

Old August 10th 05, 04:13 AM
jim beam

chibitul wrote:
> Hi, how can I tell the difference between valve misadjusment and
> pinging? next time I fill up I am going to try higher octane, 93
> instead of 87, if the noise goes away I conclude it is pinging, if the
> noise remains I think it must be the valves. is this logic correct or
> faulty? thanks

valve adjustment does not affect pinging. nor does bad valve adjustment
sound like pinging either. pinging is detonation, much like the noise a
diesel makes. if you're getting it, either your timing is wrong [most
likely], your combustion chambers are coked up, your oxygen sensor is
failing and you're getting too lean a mixture, or there is something
seriously wrong with your gasoline. high octane is more detonation
resistant than low octane so yes, if the noise goes away, it's
detonation with low octane gas.

again, don't get fixated on the valves. they rattle, they don't ping.

Old August 10th 05, 11:57 AM
High Tech Misfit

chibitul wrote:

> Thanks, I also noticed that this noise occurs under load when I push
> the gas pedal, but if I push even harder it goes away! In other words
> only in a certain range of acceleration, too little or too much and the
> noise is gone.
>
> Also, it is hard to describe the noise, but to me it sounds like a
> vibrator or something like that, i.e. one of those electric thingie
> used used for engraving or marking, (don't think of the vibrator some
> might use in bed!!!); is that pinging?

I have always compared the sound of pinging to beans being shaken in a tin
can. If that's what your pinging sounds like, either your timing is off, or
perhaps you have a cheap quality gas brand (not necessarily low octane) in
the tank. My '93 Accord exhibited the same symptoms with cheap quality gas.
Old August 10th 05, 05:28 PM
Jason

In article .com>,
"chibitul" > wrote:

> Hi, how can I tell the difference between valve misadjusment and
> pinging? next time I fill up I am going to try higher octane, 93
> instead of 87, if the noise goes away I conclude it is pinging, if the
> noise remains I think it must be the valves. is this logic correct or
> faulty? thanks

You did not mention the type of car you have. I have a 99 Accord and it
came from the factory with a Knock Sensor. If your vehicle came from the
factory with a knock sensor--it might be defective. I believe it works by
retarding the timing when the sensor detects pinging or knocking. After
the sensor determines that the knocking or pinging has gone away--the
timing returns to normal.
If the knock sensor is broken, you will have pinging and knocking problems.

If you decide to trade in the car, make sure the car you buy came from the
factory with a knock sensor.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old August 10th 05, 10:49 PM
chibitul

1997 Civic LX 5-speed Manual Transmission, US model. does it come with
a knock (ping) sensor or not? Thanks