Adding NAV to 2006 530i E39

Old January 29th 06, 01:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Adding NAV to 2006 530i E39

Just bought a 2006 530i over the weekend but dealer was unable to
locate a unit with NAV built in (as well as some of the other options I
wanted). I was curious if there was a simple path to adding the NAV
function now that they already have the LCD dash screen and roof
antenna pre-installed. I would guess that the 2006 is mostly pre-wired,
ready to add features as needed.

Anyone look into the 2006 retrofit options yet?

Old January 29th 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

When the E60 was launched they didn't have the ability to get NAV into all
of the vehicles and they came up with a retrofit kit, the only one ever
made. Check with your dealership for availability and fitament.

oups.com...

Old January 31st 06, 11:55 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

CJ wrote:
> When the E60 was launched they didn't have the ability to get NAV into all
> of the vehicles and they came up with a retrofit kit, the only one ever
> made. Check with your dealership for availability and fitament.
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Just bought a 2006 530i over the weekend but dealer was unable to
> > locate a unit with NAV built in (as well as some of the other options I
> > wanted). I was curious if there was a simple path to adding the NAV
> > function now that they already have the LCD dash screen and roof
> > antenna pre-installed. I would guess that the 2006 is mostly pre-wired,
> > ready to add features as needed.
> >
> > Anyone look into the 2006 retrofit options yet?

There are other BMW retrofit packages available.
My '96 740 already had the TV screen and fitting the nav simply
involved pluggin the unit into the boot/trunk and fitting a GPS aerial.

Old January 31st 06, 01:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> CJ wrote:
>> When the E60 was launched they didn't have the ability to get NAV into
>> all
>> of the vehicles and they came up with a retrofit kit, the only one ever
>> made. Check with your dealership for availability and fitament.
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Just bought a 2006 530i over the weekend but dealer was unable to
>> > locate a unit with NAV built in (as well as some of the other options I
>> > wanted). I was curious if there was a simple path to adding the NAV
>> > function now that they already have the LCD dash screen and roof
>> > antenna pre-installed. I would guess that the 2006 is mostly pre-wired,
>> > ready to add features as needed.
>> >
>> > Anyone look into the 2006 retrofit options yet?
>> >

> There are other BMW retrofit packages available.
> My '96 740 already had the TV screen and fitting the nav simply
> involved pluggin the unit into the boot/trunk and fitting a GPS aerial.

How much was that?

Old February 1st 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > There are other BMW retrofit packages available.
> > My '96 740 already had the TV screen and fitting the nav simply
> > involved pluggin the unit into the boot/trunk and fitting a GPS aerial.
> >

> How much was that?

I bought a mark 1 unit (my '96 being so old was pre-wired for the mk1
system) off ebay for GBP100 or about ~US$200. Many people upgrade from
the earlier CD systems to the later DVD systems so they crop up on ebay
frequently but will be more expensive than the realtively crappy mk1
system. There are retrofit guides about if you search for them.
There's even a yahoo group for it.

Used sedan recommendation? 2000OdysseyLX Technology 48 December 16th 05 03:10 AM
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL steve_s Honda 1 September 30th 05 04:24 AM
2006 Accords And Camrys: When Will Be Showing Up ? Daniel J. Stern Driving 9 July 17th 05 04:18 AM
TDI and 2006 Diesel Regulations MB VW water cooled 12 October 31st 04 12:05 AM