First Look Review

Old October 29th 04, 08:50 PM
Mitch_A

Default First Look Review

Whats in German? The screenshots (from Steve's post) all showed English
menu's. The Docs arent real important to me as I can just come here and ask
Uwe If thats all thats in German Im going to place an order very soon.

I sure like the sound of the warp free collision detection. No more cars
flying off the track with a slight touch :-) Thats one thing I sure wont
miss from Papy multi.

itch

Old October 30th 04, 03:12 AM
Chad Rogers

Mitch,

The release next week is the German version which is rumored to be
exclusively in German, menus, garage, crew etc. Might be a challenge, but I
am not willing to wait 3-4 months for a copy.

Chad

m...

Old October 30th 04, 03:24 AM
Mitch_A

Id have to wait. I can barely understand English :-)

Mitch

Old November 1st 04, 09:35 AM
Stephen F.

Speaking of German, AutoBild (popular car magazine in Germany) had a two
page article on GTR, praising it for its accuracy. They had a few GTR
drivers testing it out. Of course, not all car magazine writers are as good
as our Mr. Smith at separating the wheat from the chaff, but I find it
promising that it is getting this kind of media attention.

Stephen

p.s. they also praised "modest" system requirements

Old November 2nd 04, 06:29 AM
ymenard

>"Mitch_A" > wrote
> I sure like the sound of the warp free collision detection. No more cars
> flying off the track with a slight touch :-) Thats one thing I sure wont
> miss from Papy multi.

I don't see why you hated it for Papy, as what they wrote is *exactly* the
same thing as what Papy does. "Warp free collision detection" = eliminated
the zig-zagging with a prediction code. Prediction coding smoothes
everything but adds an element where cars can for an instant turn inside
each other if they reappear correctly and create impossible physical
collisions.

No prediction coding simply make for something else... WARP. Perhaps in a
perfect network with unlimited bandwidth it's possible (ex : a LAN type
system which btw even isn't perfect and still needs a prediction code), but
on the Internet you have to have a prediction code.

It's the basis that makes any simracing community live. Without this,
multiplayer racing will never be good even if there's a good set of
community tools. Without it, when the server loses a fraction of where
somebody is or misses a fraction of the relay of somebody else, the cars
will be shown erratically (warping). Prediction code, smoothes everything
out and eliminated extreme warping. You often see that in GPL as they
increase the bandwidth requirement. Cars zig-zag around the corners, they
turn in a very "stairway" style.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old November 2nd 04, 12:40 PM
Steve Smith

Well stated, François!

.. .

Old November 2nd 04, 05:59 PM
Mitch_A

You missed my point completely, or I missed yours but to say Papy is the
same is the opposite of what Ive seen.

Slight touch and you opponent goes flying off the track and the magic cars
that blend with each other quite happily till collision detection catches up
then whaaaammmm. Off you both go spinning round and round.

On the other hand GTR sounds like when the cars rub they actually do rub and
not blend with each other then the resulting crash.

Mitch

.. .

Old November 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
JP

ymenard > wrote in message
.. .
> >"Mitch_A" > wrote
> > I sure like the sound of the warp free collision detection. No more

cars
> > flying off the track with a slight touch :-) Thats one thing I sure

wont
> > miss from Papy multi.

> I don't see why you hated it for Papy, as what they wrote is *exactly* the
> same thing as what Papy does. "Warp free collision detection" =

eliminated
> the zig-zagging with a prediction code. Prediction coding smoothes
> everything but adds an element where cars can for an instant turn inside
> each other if they reappear correctly and create impossible physical
> collisions.
>

> No prediction coding simply make for something else... WARP. Perhaps in a
> perfect network with unlimited bandwidth it's possible (ex : a LAN type
> system which btw even isn't perfect and still needs a prediction code),

but
> on the Internet you have to have a prediction code.
>

> It's the basis that makes any simracing community live. Without this,
> multiplayer racing will never be good even if there's a good set of
> community tools. Without it, when the server loses a fraction of where
> somebody is or misses a fraction of the relay of somebody else, the cars
> will be shown erratically (warping). Prediction code, smoothes everything
> out and eliminated extreme warping. You often see that in GPL as they
> increase the bandwidth requirement. Cars zig-zag around the corners, they
> turn in a very "stairway" style.
>

> --
> -- François Ménard <ymenard>
> -- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez
> Corporation - helping America into the New World...

Other games handled this better (Heat, i.e.) so Papy should have been able
to you'd think.