Going away but what about fish?

Old November 6th 03, 06:13 PM
axemanchris

Default Going away but what about fish?

I think your fish can last quite nicely without food for 5 days. Don't
worry about them & have a great vacation!

Jacqui

"Dave Leason" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All

Any info much appreciated. At christmas we are going away for about 5
days, in the past my parents have come round (2 mins round corner) to feed
the gold fish and 2 cats. But this week we have been told they wont be

doing
it any more as they dont want to.

We are sorting out a cattery for the cats (hopefully) but what about our
precious fish?? What can we give them that will last about 5 days? ive

seen
the fish feeder things that apparently last while you go away, or what

about
putting in a couple of 'real' plants for them to munch on or some

cucumber?

any help much appreciated!!

Kellie

Old November 7th 03, 12:53 AM
Magic menagerie

The food will go bad... We have tried the time released food, but for some
reason it doesn't last as long as it says it will... The 7 day food is gone in
about 3 days, and the 14 day is gone in about 6. There is also a mechanical
feeder if you want to go crazy. You load it up with the food and it rotates
and drops it in on a timer... Otherwise, they should be just fine...
Old November 7th 03, 03:27 AM
Zookeeper

Dave Leason wrote:
Any info much appreciated. At christmas we are going away for about 5
days ...

We are sorting out a cattery for the cats (hopefully) but what about our
precious fish?? What can we give them that will last about 5 days? ...

Kellie, cats and goldfish can successfully be left for 5-7 days. Cats
only need food, water and a clean litter box to start with, and goldfish
need nothing extra. Are your cats accustomed to staying somewhere else?
Our cats would be more stressed by going to a cattery than staying at
home "alone." You might want to consider confining the cats to just one
or two rooms. Goldfish can go days without extra food. To be on the safe
side, you can also lower the aquarium temperature to slow their metabolism.

If you were to be gone 7-14 days, cats would need someone to check on
them; goldfish would need the addition of a new plant or two that they
could nibble on while you're gone. What size is your tank? and how many
fish?
--
Zk

Old November 7th 03, 01:51 PM
Dave Leason

Thank you for all replies!

small goldfish.

Our house is not designed to be able to confine the cats to just a couple of
rooms unfortunaltly. the problem with leaving them while I go to visit my
parents for a few days over christmas is they get quite lonely, they are
used to my in laws but as my 1st post mentioned, they are being a bit
awkward this year (it is the first year we have taken our 2 yr old daughter
to spend xmas with my parents so i think thats what my in laws problem is!)

I didnt realise goldfish would be ok without actually feeding them for a few
days, yes I think leaving a cucumber would not be very wise, didnt think
about the rotting! but maybe I will put in a plant to set my mind at ease
for the few days! any recommendations for plants? we usually have artificial
ones you see!

As for the cats, they definatly need somewhere to stay or someone to come
around as they need fresh food each morning and need their litter box
cleaning each day!

But thanks for the info about Jelly and Jackson (the fish, my daughter named
them!!)

Kellie

Old November 7th 03, 02:11 PM
Geezer From The Freezer

Dave,

If you decide to use plants, can I advise you to rinse them very thoroughly
with hot (not boiling) water only. This will hopefully wash off any
snail eggs etc...

Also if you feed your fish just before leaving, don't be tempted to
give them a little bit more - they won't need it, and it could
fowl up the water. Also consider doing a 30% water change the day before
leaving just to ensure water quality is good.
Old November 7th 03, 02:49 PM

dont do anything extra for the GF. My husband left a couple GF at school for a
couple months this summer with no food and they were fine. dont put anything in the
tank that could get ripped apart and clog the filter. aeration is the single most
important item for leaving GF alone. if the power goes out and filter doesnt come
on, at least the aeration will and the fish will be fine.
do a water change before you go, turn down the heat and that let the water temp drop
slowly down while you are gone you will come back to very frisky GF.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old November 7th 03, 03:15 PM
Geezer From The Freezer

got to admit. Ingrids suggestion was better than mine!
Old November 7th 03, 07:35 PM
Dave Leason

Once again, thank you!
I will keep all of these suggestions in mid, but from what youve all said,
for 4 , possibly 5 days it seems like my little common goldies will be just
fine without me and my daughter t pster them.
I would never add a little extra food as i know it causes all sorts of
problems and thanks for the tip about washing the plant if i do get one.
youve set my mind at ease!

Kellie

Old November 7th 03, 11:33 PM
Donald Kerns

Dave Leason wrote:

I will keep all of these suggestions in mid, but from what youve all
said, for 4 , possibly 5 days it seems like my little common goldies
will be just fine without me and my daughter t pster them.

What REALLY sucks is going away for a week and having the tanks look
better when you come back. ;-)

Personal experience.

-D
--
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving
that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the