Front Wiring Harness Question - Help Please!

Old August 24th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default Front Wiring Harness Question - Help Please!

What if I buy a main wiring harness for my Beetle, and later on I want
to replace the front trunk area wires?
Is there a front wiring harness I can buy?
TIA

Old August 25th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Ok, my posts usually suck.. so I tried not to reply to yours.. I see it
has been all day and still no-one else responded.. So even though my
posts usually suck, I am going to give it a whirl.

First, WHY??

If you buy a brand new wiring harness kit, it will have the wires to
re-do the front in the trunk also? I have never seen just a front kit
sold.. I can only reccomend if the wiring harness for the entire car
for some reason is not what you want, or is not as good as you want..
to simply replace each wire in the trunk one by one. So you dont mix
them up or put them in the wrong place. You can get some nice
connectors, or even heat shrink tubing to help make it look nice.

What exactly are you up to that will need wires in a brand new harness
replaced in short near future?

Old August 25th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

> If you buy a brand new wiring harness kit, it will have the wires to

I am trying to save up for something else.

I have never seen just a front kit
> sold.. I can only reccomend if the wiring harness for the entire car
> for some reason is not what you want, or is not as good as you want..
> to simply replace each wire in the trunk one by one. So you dont mix
> them up or put them in the wrong place. You can get some nice
> connectors, or even heat shrink tubing to help make it look nice.

That's what I had planned and to put wire loom ove the wires to make
them into a cable.

> What exactly are you up to that will need wires in a brand new harness
> replaced in short near future?

The wires don't look so bad on the outside.
When I was replacing the connectors on the turn signals last Fall, the
wires looked really old inside the insulation.
it can wait.
Thanks all the same.

Old August 25th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

I eventually might try one of those inexpensive $65.00 kits from J.C.
WhipMe or from Latest Rage.
It most likely would not fit but, I might get color coded wires that
way.

Old August 29th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

jcwhipme - that's a good one. I wouldn't trust them, maybe they are
good, but good wiring harnes is not just wires it's also how well
install is documented and whether wires are properly color coded. This
is not just for purists, but also being able to use manual as reference
after replacing the wiring.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1628 has quite a few and
unless you have early model prices are not that bad. Just compare to a
others and you'll see that pricing is good given the fact that you will
have correct replacement.

I have used one of those kits and it was pretty well documented with
step by step instructions as well as color coding.

Just save up and get a right kit.

Good luck,
Anton