PCV Valve Screen in Ford 5.0 Liter

Old August 19th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
swimdad16

Default PCV Valve Screen in Ford 5.0 Liter

I've read a couple of items that say there is a screen ahead of the PCV
valve that causes problems when it gets blocked.

I pulled the PCV valve from the valve cover and I removed the fitting that
screws into the read of the intake manifold. I can't find a screen in either
opening.

Which end of the "system" is this screen supposed to be? Valve cover or
intake manifold?

Old August 19th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> I've read a couple of items that say there is a screen ahead of the PCV
> valve that causes problems when it gets blocked.
>
> I pulled the PCV valve from the valve cover and I removed the fitting that
> screws into the read of the intake manifold. I can't find a screen in either
> opening.
>
> Which end of the "system" is this screen supposed to be? Valve cover or
> intake manifold?

On our ford van the PCV filter was inside the air filter housing. The
only way to see it was to open up the air filter assembly. It looked
like a miniature version of the air cleaner element.

Chris

Old August 20th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob La Rocca

On my "new" '93 mustang 5.0 convertible I bought a bunch of tune up parts
including the pcv screen. I found it in the intake manifold, under the PCV
valve. Take the grommet out and look into the intake. You may see a mesh
plug that just sits in there. Pull it out with a long nose pliers and pop
in the new filter. Replace the pcv grommet and valve while you are in there
and you're good to go.

Literature says this filter plugs up and causes high crankcase pressures and
poor ventilation so its cheap insurance to replace it.

Good luck
--
Bob La Rocca
Lindenhurst, NY
. ..

Old August 20th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
swimdad16

Does your PCV valve connect into the manifold or the valve cover?

The valve/grommet on the truck is in the valve cover. The part that screws
into the manifold is a fitting with a 90 degree bend in it.... It faces the
firewall so I can't actually see into the manifold.

The manifold also covers most of the valve cover so I can't actually see
into the valve cover. I can feel a baffle inside the valve cover but there's
no screen.

Old August 20th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

"swimdad16" wrote

> The valve/grommet on the truck is in the valve cover. The part that screws
> into the manifold is a fitting with a 90 degree bend in it.... It faces

the
> firewall so I can't actually see into the manifold.

> > On my "new" '93 mustang 5.0 convertible I bought a bunch of tune up

parts
> > including the pcv screen. I found it in the intake manifold, under the
> > PCV valve. Take the grommet out and look into the intake.

Maybe the trucks are different. You're still talking about a 93 F150, right?
On many other 5.0s, the PCV valve is in the rear center of the manifold,
a total pain to get to unless you lay on top of the engine. The "screen" is
little metal-mesh filled can that drops in the hole just under the PCV
valve.
It looks like: http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Airtex/6P1257.jpg
And it goes in he http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1/pcv-grommet.jpg
Maybe the mechanics bitched so much about the PCV that Ford moved
it back to the valve cover, where it used to be for decades.

Old August 22nd 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
swimdad16

Yep it's a 93 F-150... but the PCV is in the right valve cover and there a
tapped fitting into the intake... doesn't look anything like the pics you
posted.

Is your Mustang Fuel Injected? The truck is... maybe that's the difference.