2001 A4 2.8 throttle fix or chip

Old November 21st 04, 05:50 AM
RapidRon

Default 2001 A4 2.8 throttle fix or chip

I still hate the throttle control on my '01 A4 2.8 after owning it for 6
months. Is there any way to gain some improvement in the drive by wire
throttle? Is there a chip available for this engine that can help civilize
it (erratic, unpredictable, sluggish, laggy and jumpy with a mind of its
own).

This car should be fun to drive, not a pain.

RapidRon

--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply

Old November 21st 04, 05:57 PM
daytripper

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:50:55 -0600, "RapidRon" >
wrote:

>I still hate the throttle control on my '01 A4 2.8 after owning it for 6
>months. Is there any way to gain some improvement in the drive by wire
>throttle? Is there a chip available for this engine that can help civilize
>it (erratic, unpredictable, sluggish, laggy and jumpy with a mind of its
>own).
>
>This car should be fun to drive, not a pain.

Indeed, I'd suspect there is something uniquely disfunctional with your A4...
Old November 22nd 04, 01:37 AM
Wayne Crannell

In article >,
daytripper > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:50:55 -0600, "RapidRon" >
> wrote:
>
> >I still hate the throttle control on my '01 A4 2.8 after owning it for 6
> >months. Is there any way to gain some improvement in the drive by wire
> >throttle? Is there a chip available for this engine that can help civilize
> >it (erratic, unpredictable, sluggish, laggy and jumpy with a mind of its
> >own).
> >
> >This car should be fun to drive, not a pain.

> Indeed, I'd suspect there is something uniquely disfunctional with your A4...

Nope...I have the same car, same year, and mine does it too. An
incredibly annoying lag in throttle response. (our A6 doesn't do it)
Then it jumps or grabs or whatever. There are times pulling into traffic
that you wonder if you are going to make it. The turbo can be chipped
but the 2.8 really can't...well, it can, but you're wasting a buttload
of money just to smooth out the throttle since the chip is made to do a
lot of things for the turbo that it obviously won't do for the 2.8. And
the dealer looked dumber than a box of doorknobs when I tried to get the
throttle adjusted.

We own two Audis but as of next summer will own none. Cars that cost
this much should drive better and last longer than your average Honda. I
just read an article on certified pre-owned cars where Audi was shown to
have the best program with 301 different checks. Maybe they ought to
apply the same standard to the first time they inspect them...or maybe
the problem is that they NEED 301 checks.

The veneer of existential "cool" that comes from driving an Audi wears
off when windows start going down by themselves (A6), the front end
falls apart at 30k miles (A6), the seats come loose (A4), and the they
rattle like a mid-70s Ford (both).

--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX
Old November 22nd 04, 01:20 PM
Pete

"Wayne Crannell" > wrote
> Nope...I have the same car, same year, and mine does it too. An
> incredibly annoying lag in throttle response. (our A6 doesn't do it)
> Then it jumps or grabs or whatever. There are times pulling into traffic
> that you wonder if you are going to make it.

LOL! I have to agree with this somewhat. My '01 A4 1.8TQ's DBW throttle
isn't the best, especially when you try to get going fast, like whey
applying full throttle. The computer seems to get confused and it takes it
a while to figure out that you just stomped your foot on the gas pedal.
Chipping a car didn't fix that either. But overall it's not too bad, me
thinks. It could definitely use an improvement though. That's why many
people prefer a '99.5 A4 (mechanical throttle) as apposed to the newer model
years.

I also wonder if RapidRon's car is an automatic and he's talking about auto
tranny lag maybe?

> Maybe they ought to
> apply the same standard to the first time they inspect them...or maybe
> the problem is that they NEED 301 checks.

LOL again. Funny guy, but it's true. I love my A4 nonetheless. :-)

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 29th 04, 01:14 AM
David

German cars are all suffering from the same over infatuation with
technology.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.