Need help on finding aluminum sheet metal.

Old July 18th 04, 09:09 PM
John

Default Need help on finding aluminum sheet metal.

I need help finding a aluminum sheet metal source. I've tried yellow pages for
my area and asking around. I havent yet gone to google to see if I can just
order it, I'd like to save on shipping. Home Depot only carries galvaninzed
steel in my area. Any ideas on what store, or type of store I might be able to
find this at?

TIA,

~John
Old July 18th 04, 11:33 PM
kim gross

How large of a piece do you need. My local home depots and Lowes both
carry aluminum flashing rolls that are up to 24 inchs wide.

The other place to try would be a metal fabrication shop and see if they
can get it for you.

kim

Old July 19th 04, 12:01 AM
John

aluminum flashing rolls that are up to 24 inchs wide.

Thats about what I need. I'm retrofitting a new reflector under my hood.
Thanks, I had forgotten about those.
~John
Old July 19th 04, 12:26 AM
Mark

In our area Lowe's does carry alum polished in different thickness and
sizes. You could also go to McMaster Carr.com they will ship you what you
need

Good luck

Old July 20th 04, 04:49 AM
Bob

I was fearfull of having a wooden cover for my canopy with all the MH
lighting and the cover catching on fire. I replaced the wood cover with
3/16" thick aluminum and mounted my lights directly to the aluminum cover.
Now I can go to work in the morning without the fear of my house catching
fire. I did this after I noticed black colored spots on the wood cover. Any
welding shop can get you some.

Old July 20th 04, 07:07 PM
John

Thanks all for your replies. I was able to find a 24"x24" sheet of aluminum at
Lowes for $17. I also grabbed polishing compound 5 & 6 to mirror finish the
surface while I was there.
~John
Old July 21st 04, 01:20 PM
Marc Levenson

John, let me know how you liked it. I may be in the same
boat, and have never tried to polish the aluminum to a
mirror finish. Do you use a buffing wheel on a grinder or
drill, or is this all done by hand?

Marc

--
Personal Page: