Magnum

Old July 13th 05, 01:05 AM
mdrawson

Default Magnum

Anyone here bought a Magnum R/T?

What's been your experience? Any problems?

Old July 13th 05, 07:54 PM
Dan

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:05:29 -0400, "mdrawson" >
wrote:

>Anyone here bought a Magnum R/T?
>
>What's been your experience? Any problems?

1) Car runs like a scalded dog.
2) Early production models pulled to the right. Fixed by dealer.
Adjusted cradle and installed new alignment adjustment bolt.
3) Center rear seat belt retractor jammed first time granddaughter sat
in middle seat. Fixed by dealer.
4) Continental tires are prone to premature wear. Wear bars showing
at 20,000 miles.

Car is fun to drive, handles great, and gets reasonable mileage for a
4,400 pound wagon. And it's FAST.

Extra storage area under false floor in back is really handy for stuff
like a small emergency kit, jumper cables, etc., or small items you
don't want rolling around.

Dan
Old July 13th 05, 08:05 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:54:42 -0500, Dan wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:05:29 -0400, "mdrawson" >
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone here bought a Magnum R/T?
>>
>>What's been your experience? Any problems?
>>

> 1) Car runs like a scalded dog.
> 2) Early production models pulled to the right. Fixed by dealer.
> Adjusted cradle and installed new alignment adjustment bolt.
> 3) Center rear seat belt retractor jammed first time granddaughter sat
> in middle seat. Fixed by dealer.
> 4) Continental tires are prone to premature wear. Wear bars showing
> at 20,000 miles.
>
> Car is fun to drive, handles great, and gets reasonable mileage for a
> 4,400 pound wagon. And it's FAST.

Just curious what you consider reasonable mileage? I have a 300C, it has
the performance of a rocket unfortunately it also has the fuel economy of
a rocket. I'm getting less than 15MPG, 18 on the highway, my old
Concorde got 22, and 29 on the highway.

Old July 14th 05, 01:54 PM
mdrawson

Good input, thanx. I am curious about the mileage. The sticker says 25
highway (I'd use the car primarily as a road car).

news

Old July 14th 05, 07:27 PM
Dan

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:05:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:54:42 -0500, Dan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:05:29 -0400, "mdrawson" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone here bought a Magnum R/T?
>>>
>>>What's been your experience? Any problems?
>>>

>> 1) Car runs like a scalded dog.
>> 2) Early production models pulled to the right. Fixed by dealer.
>> Adjusted cradle and installed new alignment adjustment bolt.
>> 3) Center rear seat belt retractor jammed first time granddaughter sat
>> in middle seat. Fixed by dealer.
>> 4) Continental tires are prone to premature wear. Wear bars showing
>> at 20,000 miles.
>>
>> Car is fun to drive, handles great, and gets reasonable mileage for a
>> 4,400 pound wagon. And it's FAST.

>Just curious what you consider reasonable mileage? I have a 300C, it has
>the performance of a rocket unfortunately it also has the fuel economy of
>a rocket. I'm getting less than 15MPG, 18 on the highway, my old
>Concorde got 22, and 29 on the highway.

Do you have the 5.7 with multiple displacement system (MDS)?

I've got the 5.7L HEMI MDS in the RT. I get about 18 around town and
22/23 on trips. A good bit of "around town" is local interstate.
Trips have been 2 or three adults with enough luggage to fill a moving
van, driving 75 to 85 most of the way.

My milege is way better than the guys I know with the 5.7L in Dodge
trucks. I know a guy with a Magnum with the larger V-6 who says I'm
getting better mileage than he is.

Dan
Old July 14th 05, 10:32 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:27:35 -0500, Dan wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:05:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:54:42 -0500, Dan wrote:

>>> 1) Car runs like a scalded dog.
>>> 2) Early production models pulled to the right. Fixed by dealer.
>>> Adjusted cradle and installed new alignment adjustment bolt.
>>> 3) Center rear seat belt retractor jammed first time granddaughter sat
>>> in middle seat. Fixed by dealer.
>>> 4) Continental tires are prone to premature wear. Wear bars showing
>>> at 20,000 miles.
>>>
>>> Car is fun to drive, handles great, and gets reasonable mileage for a
>>> 4,400 pound wagon. And it's FAST.

>>Just curious what you consider reasonable mileage? I have a 300C, it has
>>the performance of a rocket unfortunately it also has the fuel economy of
>>a rocket. I'm getting less than 15MPG, 18 on the highway, my old
>>Concorde got 22, and 29 on the highway.
>>

> Do you have the 5.7 with multiple displacement system (MDS)?
>
> I've got the 5.7L HEMI MDS in the RT. I get about 18 around town and
> 22/23 on trips. A good bit of "around town" is local interstate.
> Trips have been 2 or three adults with enough luggage to fill a moving
> van, driving 75 to 85 most of the way.
>
> My milege is way better than the guys I know with the 5.7L in Dodge
> trucks. I know a guy with a Magnum with the larger V-6 who says I'm
> getting better mileage than he is.
>
> Dan

Yes I have the 5.7 HEMI with AWD. I've got a couple of long trips coming
up in the next couple of weeks, I'll see what I get on thiose. But so far
I've been getting between 14.7 and 16.
Old July 14th 05, 10:47 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:54:09 -0400, mdrawson wrote:

> Good input, thanx. I am curious about the mileage. The sticker says 25
> highway (I'd use the car primarily as a road car).
>
> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:54:42 -0500, Dan wrote:

>>> 1) Car runs like a scalded dog.
>>> 2) Early production models pulled to the right. Fixed by dealer.
>>> Adjusted cradle and installed new alignment adjustment bolt.
>>> 3) Center rear seat belt retractor jammed first time granddaughter sat
>>> in middle seat. Fixed by dealer.
>>> 4) Continental tires are prone to premature wear. Wear bars showing
>>> at 20,000 miles.
>>>
>>> Car is fun to drive, handles great, and gets reasonable mileage for a
>>> 4,400 pound wagon. And it's FAST.

>> Just curious what you consider reasonable mileage? I have a 300C, it has
>> the performance of a rocket unfortunately it also has the fuel economy of
>> a rocket. I'm getting less than 15MPG, 18 on the highway, my old
>> Concorde got 22, and 29 on the highway.

Before I bought my 300C I did a back of the envelope calculation to see if
the lousy mileage would pass my threshold of pain. I only drive 12000
miles a year, a figure thats been constant for 30 years. The difference
between the 300C and something more economical like an Acura TL (which
gets 22) is 250 gallons a year. If you assume $2.5 a gallon that's around
$650, if you assume $5 a gallon then a still only $1300 which isn't much
considering that the car costs $40,000. However there is the inconvenience
of having to fill up all the time, at 15MPG the range is pretty limited.

Old July 15th 05, 06:52 PM
Dan

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:32:28 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
> wrote:

SNIP

>> Do you have the 5.7 with multiple displacement system (MDS)?
>>
>> I've got the 5.7L HEMI MDS in the RT. I get about 18 around town and
>> 22/23 on trips. A good bit of "around town" is local interstate.
>> Trips have been 2 or three adults with enough luggage to fill a moving
>> van, driving 75 to 85 most of the way.
>>
>> My milege is way better than the guys I know with the 5.7L in Dodge
>> trucks. I know a guy with a Magnum with the larger V-6 who says I'm
>> getting better mileage than he is.
>>
>> Dan

>Yes I have the 5.7 HEMI with AWD. I've got a couple of long trips coming
>up in the next couple of weeks, I'll see what I get on thiose. But so far
>I've been getting between 14.7 and 16.

My Magnum RT is just rear wheel drive. I would expect slightly lower
gas mileage with 4WD, similar to the difference in gas mileage between
2WD and 4WD trucks. My kid the drag racer knows all the technical
terms to explain the difference. Something about "rotating weight" of
the drive train every time you accelerate from a stop. Anyway, 4WD
usually uses more gas.

Dan
Old August 5th 05, 09:15 PM
Steve

On a related note- are you Magnum owners happy with the capacity of the
air-conditioning system? Especially anyone in Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona.

I've had two Magnums as rentals now, and neither one seemed to have as
much A/C power as our 1993 LH car does, or as my '66 Polara. The Magnums
both eventually got cool, but took a LONG time to get really cold and
had to be kept on "max" for much longer than I'm used to. In fact, the
second rental was in Iowa during the recent "heat wave" (although it was
only 104, and it gets a lot hotter than that at home routinely) and it
pretty much HAD to be kept on "max" all the time. If the R/T has an
equally puny A/C system, I'm afraid its right off the list of possible
replacements for the '93 when the time comes. :-(

The first rental was a 3.5L car, and I was surprised that it was
reasonably peppy. The second was a 2.7L car, and I was ashamed to be
driving it... they REALLY shouldn't offer that engine in such a heavy car.
Old August 5th 05, 09:17 PM
Steve

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> Yes I have the 5.7 HEMI with AWD. I've got a couple of long trips coming
> up in the next couple of weeks, I'll see what I get on thiose. But so far
> I've been getting between 14.7 and 16.

Oh, AWD. Low mileage on that model is no surprise at all. I'd stick with
straight RWD.