Are subframes OEM on 1999 Convertibles?

Old March 17th 05, 03:18 AM
DevilPaul

Default Are subframes OEM on 1999 Convertibles?

I have a 1999 3.8L V6 convertible "35th Anniversary" Mustang that I bought used in 2000 with 17,000 miles on it. Back in late January I got into an accident and my car wound up bouncing off of a guard rail on the drivers side. Here's my problem - I brought it to a local body shop who contracted the alignment out to a Midas. Well, the Midas guys called me up and said the alignment couldn't be done without customizing the car. The issue? Subframe supports on the bottom of the car. There are 2 that run parallel with the body on both sides and one large one underneath the engine. I did not put these on and I highly doubt that the previous owner did as that was a rental car company. The Midas refused to do the alignment and then the body shop owner contracted the job to a Monroe Muffler who also refused to do it. I got my car back on Monday and the alignment still isn't done. I can tell it's out of whack and I'm taking it to a Ford dealer on Friday to get the alignment done with the body shop footing the bill. Does anyone know if these subframes are OEM? I don't see how they wouldn't be as it's a convertible car and it would make sense to have them to keep down body flex.

--
Paul

Old March 17th 05, 03:37 AM
Dinsdale

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:18:50 GMT, "DevilPaul" >
wrote:

>I have a 1999 3.8L V6 convertible "35th Anniversary" Mustang that I bought used in 2000 with 17,000 miles on it. Back in late January I got into an accident and my car wound up bouncing off of a guard rail on the drivers side. Here's my problem - I brought it to a local body shop who contracted the alignment out to a Midas. Well, the Midas guys called me up and said the alignment couldn't be done without customizing the car. The issue? Subframe supports on the bottom of the car. There are 2 that run parallel with the body on both sides and one large one underneath the engine. I did not put these on and I highly doubt that the previous owner did as that was a rental car company. The Midas refused to do the alignment and then the body shop owner contracted the job to a Monroe Muffler who also refused to do it. I got my car back on Monday and the alignment still isn't done. I can tell it's out of whack and I'm taking it to a Ford dealer on Friday to get the alignment done with the body
>shop footing the bill. Does anyone know if these subframes are OEM? I don't see how they wouldn't be as it's a convertible car and it would make sense to have them to keep down body flex.

Has the body shop verified that the unibody is within spec?
Old March 17th 05, 03:51 AM
DevilPaul

"Dinsdale" > wrote in message
> Has the body shop verified that the unibody is within spec?

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by that. This is the first time I've ever
been in an accident so I'm a little, uh, naive.

--
Paul

Old March 17th 05, 04:55 AM
SVTKate

I seriously doubt that they are factory.
Have you thought to ask the guys at the dealership shop if they are aware of
anything like that included as standard equipment?

Kate
OH... and you are probabaly better off that Midas refused to work on your
car.
Talk about a rip off outfit. Those *******s make a living taking advantage
of peple that don't know anything about their cars.

Old March 17th 05, 06:31 AM
Brent P

In article >, DevilPaul wrote:
> alignment and then the body shop owner contracted the job to a Monroe =
> Muffler who also refused to do it. I got my car back on Monday and the =
> alignment still isn't done. I can tell it's out of whack and I'm taking =
> it to a Ford dealer on Friday to get the alignment done with the body =
> shop footing the bill. Does anyone know if these subframes are OEM? I =
> don't see how they wouldn't be as it's a convertible car and it would =
> make sense to have them to keep down body flex.

Convertibles do come with some rather weak subframe connectors as I recall. Nothing
like the aftermarket ones. If you could put pictures up on the web, that would help.

Old March 17th 05, 07:40 AM

1999 and later 'verts have OEM subframe connectors and a k-member
brace. The SFCs are thin-walled square tube and are bolted on. The
k-member brace is a stamped and welded piece the binds the rear of the
k-member to the front subframe. It is also bolted on and covers most of
the underside of the oil pan.

Old March 17th 05, 02:22 PM
SVTKate

So...
If they are bolted on, what's the problem?
The shop should take them off and straighten the car, check the subs for
damage and replace them if needed.

oups.com...

Old March 17th 05, 05:15 PM

I agree . I don't get the issue either. The frames are straight or
they are not and the only way to tell is to attempt an alignment or
check the shape of the structure. Do the shops mention have some sort
of guarantee to make a car reach a proper alignment? That might explain
their reluctance to touch a car that's been damaged .

Dan
2003 Cobra convertible
With some stuff and things

Old March 17th 05, 05:26 PM
Musttanguy

The thin wall bolt on sub frame connectors are indeed factory original
on the 99+ convertibles.
Both shops unwillingness to align this car because of this is obviously
a plessing in disquise. This is just another example of why these shops
have the reputation they do. I see no reason the front end alignment
can't be set due to subs being installed even if they were
aftermarket.If the car is out of spec send it back to the body/frame
shop, but atleast check the damn thing and note it on paper work. Just
be thankful the car will now be checked by someone alittle more
knowledgable/competent. I would let the body shop know how unsatisfied
you were with their choice of alignment shops. I would not send a
vehicle to another shop that I don't a good relationship with and have
first hand experience with and shops like this would cease to get
referrals.

Tim (Musttanguy)
PonyPerformance.com

Old March 17th 05, 10:20 PM
SVTKate

One other thing in addition to Tim's sound advice.

Sometime soon after your car went into the shop, they should have put it on
a frame rack and measured it. It may have even been part of the original
estimate.
When they finished the job, they should have done the same. Someplace in
between the two it would have been up on the rack for repairs. There should
be printouts of the first and the last time it was measured. Ask for copies
of them. I would also ask them to put it back on the rack when you can be
there and have them hand you a current printout of the cars measurements.
They will have to reach a certain percentage of 100% before they are
considered properly repaired.
If they are unwilling to comply, then call your insurance adjuster and tell
him/her what is going on Explain the problem that you are having and they
will look into it for you and back you up. It may be more difficult if you
are a claimant. if this is the case, you should have your insurance company
call the adjuster. As a general rule more will get accomplished that way.

If the shop doesn't have a good frame rack, request that the car be taken to
a better shop. One with the proper equipment to do the job right.

After you get this information, you will be able to tell if the body is
still bent out of whack or not.

If so, THAT is what makes me suspect that the alignment shops are trying to
avoid. I think that they know they cannot get it back to specs because it
still ahs some damage and they will not be able to get it right - ever.

Just my opion, only worth the paper it's printed on.

Kate

oups.com...