98 Chrylser Cirrus(Dodge Stratus look alike) rear brake problem

Old July 24th 05, 10:07 PM
audeogod

Default 98 Chrylser Cirrus(Dodge Stratus look alike) rear brake problem

Hello all. New to the forum. I have a 98 Chrysler Cirrus that has a
problem with the rear passenger side brakes.

3 times now, I have replaced the wheel cylinder, brake shoes, springs, and
the drum, and 4 times now(yeah, it's burnt up again) it has burnt
completely up because of a shoe that is dragging against the drum
constantly and building up heat and then destroying everything inside of
the drum. Everything was put back new each time except for the brake
adjuster, which all the local autoparts stores tell me they cannot order.

I know it was put back together correctly because if you've ever seen this
particular set of shoes, they only fit one way. And the left driver's side
has given me no problems at all, and I was the one that did the work on it
when I changed it all as well. It got a new drum, shoes, and springs
only, no wheel cylinder was necessary.

It's also been suggested that the rubber hose that connects to the metal
tubing that goes to the wheel cylinder may be clogged or is collapsing and
not letting fluid flow backwards out of the wheel cylinder when the brake
is released. I have not changed it yet either. But I did feel of the
hose, for whatever good that will do, and it did not feel weak and did not
collapse under my squeezing pressure. Visibly, it looks fine.

Has anybody ever had this happen, and what do you do about it?? Change
hose?? Try to get a new adjuster from a dealer or a junkyard??

Thanks for any replies.

Old July 24th 05, 10:52 PM
maxpower

"audeogod" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hello all. New to the forum. I have a 98 Chrysler Cirrus that has a
> problem with the rear passenger side brakes.
>
> 3 times now, I have replaced the wheel cylinder, brake shoes, springs, and
> the drum, and 4 times now(yeah, it's burnt up again) it has burnt
> completely up because of a shoe that is dragging against the drum
> constantly and building up heat and then destroying everything inside of
> the drum. Everything was put back new each time except for the brake
> adjuster, which all the local autoparts stores tell me they cannot order.
>
> I know it was put back together correctly because if you've ever seen this
> particular set of shoes, they only fit one way. And the left driver's

side
> has given me no problems at all, and I was the one that did the work on it
> when I changed it all as well. It got a new drum, shoes, and springs
> only, no wheel cylinder was necessary.
>
> It's also been suggested that the rubber hose that connects to the metal
> tubing that goes to the wheel cylinder may be clogged or is collapsing and
> not letting fluid flow backwards out of the wheel cylinder when the brake
> is released. I have not changed it yet either. But I did feel of the
> hose, for whatever good that will do, and it did not feel weak and did not
> collapse under my squeezing pressure. Visibly, it looks fine.
>
> Has anybody ever had this happen, and what do you do about it?? Change
> hose?? Try to get a new adjuster from a dealer or a junkyard??
>
> Thanks for any replies.

Do you use the emergency brake when you park this vehicle? Possible cable
hanging up on that side.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old July 24th 05, 11:03 PM
SRG

I had a 97 Stratus, the only thing I can tell you is that you should check
to make sure the ends of the shoes are properly placed against the bottom
pins. I once had replaced the shoes, felt that one was dragging, and found
that I had somehow got the drum on with the bottom of one shoe not back
where it belonged.

If you have ABS, there might be something wrong with the control unit.

SRG

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 24th 05, 11:12 PM
audeogod

OK, I hadn't thought of the E-brake causing a problem. I never use it at
all though, so it's unlikely, but I'll remember it anyway. I gotta get
this fixed.

Also, the shoes were put in place exactly where they belong. But I do
have ABS, don't know if it's front and rear, or just front only(do they
make it front only?). The ABS has been acting up lately coming on when
it's not needed and almost causing me to not stop and hit people instead.
I would begin to stop, and the car would slow down, then the ABS would kick
in and it would roll through a stopsign and almost cause a wreck. So I
pulled the ABS 40 amp fuse and now it doesn't work at all. Basically just
like regular power brakes only. ABS light is still on though, but I
thought that with the fuse out it would be like the car does not have ABS
at all.

Old July 25th 05, 02:52 AM
audeogod

Well guys, wish me luck. I did a little research on the internet and found
out that there was a recall on my car for the right rear(passenger) side
brake lines. Seems that they can rub against the exaust and cause a hole
in the brake line.

A few months ago we went through the car seemingly losing or using brake
fluid. We would refill it when this happened. It didn't cause a problem
at the time though and we forgot about it until I just read the recall
notice.

My thinking is if there is a small hole in the brake line, it could have
introduced debris into the line and possibly would be causing a clogged
line in the rear now. Right where my problems are all located at. That
would explain the fluid losses from before as well. It may even leak a
little from time to time now cause occasionally I do add some to it. But
not a lot so I didn't make the connection.

Of course I'm just guessing cause I'm not a mechanic short of just
replacing parts anyway. And maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking. But if
it turns out to be cause of this, I'll be glad.

Old July 25th 05, 09:23 AM
maxpower

"audeogod" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Well guys, wish me luck. I did a little research on the internet and

found
> out that there was a recall on my car for the right rear(passenger) side
> brake lines. Seems that they can rub against the exaust and cause a hole
> in the brake line.
>
> A few months ago we went through the car seemingly losing or using brake
> fluid. We would refill it when this happened. It didn't cause a problem
> at the time though and we forgot about it until I just read the recall
> notice.
>
> My thinking is if there is a small hole in the brake line, it could have
> introduced debris into the line and possibly would be causing a clogged
> line in the rear now.

Wishfull thinking.. causing the problem? I dont think so. ..causing loss of
fluid? absulutely

Old July 26th 05, 01:56 AM
tim bur

i have seen this before on the rear brake assembly look at the top were the
brake line runs thru the little tab attached to the strut the bracket is bent
into much pinching the rubber line and cutting off the bacflow of brake fliud
resulting in the shoes dragging all this of course is untrue if the drums have
been machined over the max allowence

Old July 27th 05, 12:05 AM
audeogod

Well, I got the drum and wheel cylinder warranty replaced from the
autoparts store where I got them a month ago, and bought new brake shoes
and springs to go with them. Also ordered(will be here tomorrow) a new
rear brake hose, the rubber line only.

I disconnected the hose from the wheel cylinder and had someone push the
brake with it this way. Barely any fluid came out. Just dribbled a
little. Then I disconnected the hose from the metal brake line and had
them hit the brake again. This time fluid shot out of the line like a
fire hose. I reconnected the rubber line back up and repeated the test
and the fluid just dribbled.

So I concluded that the rubber hose is collapsing internally, or is
clogged. Either way, I'm getting a new one and will post back if this
fixes it or not.

Only thing left to replace would be the adjuster, and it seems to be
working fine. Otherwise, I could run a new metal line all the way back
from the master cylinder. The line looks fine though and fluid flows
freely through it. I don't think it's that at all.

Old July 30th 05, 07:43 PM
audeogod

Well, today I went to the autoparts store for the second(more like 5 - 6)
time to pick up my part I ordered. The first time, I ordered a rear brake
hose for my car with ABS front and rear, cause that's what the dealership
told me it has based on the VIN. The part came in, looked just like mine
except that the end that connects to the wheel cylinder looked like it was
made to fit a caliper instead.

So they checked in the computer and found one that connects to a wheel
cylinder and that part said it was for a car without ABS. I said whatever
and ordered it cause it looked like it would fit. It came in today and I
went to get it and it fits the wheel cylinder, but the other end won't
connect to my brake line without removing an adapter that was on the old
line. The first new part(ABS) had come with this adapter, but the second
new part(non-ABS) did not. I figured I'd unscrew mine and put it on this
line. I tried that but my old line fit into the adapter with a male
fitting and the new line has a female fitting on it. So that won't work
either!!

Now that's two parts, one with ABS and one without ABS. There's no other
way, and neither one fits my car. They checked the previous model year's
part, 97, and also the next year model's part, 99, and it's the same way
as the 98 listings. Then they checked the left rear instead of the right
rear and found one made to fit right on both ends, but the attaching
brackets are different based on left side assembly. You can get it for
the left side but not the right??? That's weird!

Then here's the funny part, they actually suggested I order the one for
the driver's side and when it comes in, MODIFY it to fit my passenger's
side by prying off the mounting brackets(two of them) and reuse my old
ones with the new part. These are not bolted on so it would come off
easily. They are crimped on. And if it doesn't work, then I'm just out
the money cause it's not returnable once it's been modified. I said no to
that and just got a refund on the unusable part I ordered.

Then I went to my brother-in-law's house with my old brake line and pried
off the connecting parts they suggested to remove before just to see if
they would come off without damaging them or the line. I figured what
have I got to lose cause the old part doesn't work anyway. Then when I
done that, the line freed up enough for air to flow through it, so I blew
it out with an air compressor and now it flows freely. I guess the
crimped on connector was restricting fluid flow somehow. Don't know why
cause it's worked fine all this time until now. But it had the line
flattened way out. I reconnected it again, but loosly so it just holds
the line up. That's all it needs anyway.

Then I reconnected it to the car and reassembled all my brake shoes,
springs, wheel cylinder, and drum. Now I'm waiting on my wife to come
home and assist with bleeding the brakes to see if it's going to work. If
not, at least the car is drivable again for short distances and can get to
a mechanic cause if it doesn't work this time, it's going to get fixed by
someone else or driven off a cliff and insurance claimed.

Old July 30th 05, 08:00 PM
maxpower

"audeogod" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Well, today I went to the autoparts store for the second(more like 5 - 6)
> time to pick up my part I ordered. The first time, I ordered a rear brake
> hose for my car with ABS front and rear, cause that's what the dealership
> told me it has based on the VIN. The part came in, looked just like mine
> except that the end that connects to the wheel cylinder looked like it was
> made to fit a caliper instead.

If your vehicle has ABS it is front and rear, you cant get just one axle
with ABS.
And you shouldnt have to tell them to go by the vin #, you know if the car
has ABS or not, thats what the idiot lites are for if your not sure.
And thats why you should stay away from after market auto parts stores. If
you went to the dealer you should have gotten the part on the first go
around.Sounds like a horror stoy from the get go with the auto parts store.
4764178 Right hose w/ABS w/drum
4764179 left hose w/ABS w/drum
4616064 right hose w/oABS w/drum
4616065 left hose w/o ABS w/drum