91 Jetta coupe-gutless

Old June 26th 05, 07:47 PM
gutlessjetta

Default 91 Jetta coupe-gutless

Hi I have a 91 Jetta coupe 8v,it has a problem I can't seem to figure
out,i just woke up one morning and it was like this, its gutless as
hell until the high rpm's and even then doesnt seem right, car seems to
be running ok otherwise but when i kick it down it seems to
spiratically lurch forward in very small spurts it seems to be getting
worse as time goes by,almost to the point of struggling up hills
etc,Ive replaced the coil,wires,plugs,etc its not the 02 sensor cause
that was unplugged when i bought it a few months ago,,good fuses, found
a chaffed wire going to the air intake control box,fixed that,the cat
isnt clogged,car doesnt smoke,burn oil,no vacuum leaks(fixed them
too)the knock sensor wire looks like it could be toast,other than that
i really dont know,dont have any way to test the fuel system,it seems
ok though the fuel pump,etc cage is not very attatched,maybe a
grounding issue there?seems like its something dumb like that,any
feedback is greatly appeciated as I can't afford to pay a mechanic to
troubleshoot this prob

Old June 27th 05, 03:19 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

check out the boot from the airbox to the throttle body
it might be cracking

or fuel pressure regulator leaking fuel through vacuum hose.

a coupe huh? got a picture?

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

ups.com...

Old June 27th 05, 05:56 PM
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

"gutlessjetta" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi I have a 91 Jetta coupe 8v,it has a problem I can't seem to figure
> out,i just woke up one morning and it was like this, its gutless as
> hell until the high rpm's and even then doesnt seem right, car seems to
> be running ok otherwise but when i kick it down it seems to
> spiratically lurch forward in very small spurts it seems to be getting
> worse as time goes by,almost to the point of struggling up hills
> etc,Ive replaced the coil,wires,plugs,etc its not the 02 sensor cause

Did you replace the distributor too? Try that too, and don't forget a new
rotor and cap.

Old June 27th 05, 07:52 PM
Rob Guenther

Replace those two temperature sensors (one is blue the other is black) on
the main rad line... These caused all sorts of problems with my 1991 Golf,
no power below 3500rpm... They are dirt cheap, even from a dealer.

Distributor/wires/plugs etc... probably will help, but this sounds like the
same computer problem I was having.

Old June 27th 05, 11:19 PM
gutlessjetta

checked ALL intake pieces and vacuum lines,theyre all good,no fuel
leakage anywhere,the wires distibutor cap and rotor are almost brand
new,I did have to replace the coil recently (it died overnight too??)
replaced it twice just to make sure after this happened lol, after
driving it today i noticed it was behaving as you posted no power until
the higher rpm,and once i was up to speed it seemed somewhat normal,
but still not the jazz it should have,I'll try replacing those temp
sensors,I'm really wonding about the knock sensor the wire looks fried,
anyone have one of them go b4? Theres also the issue of the muffler it
getting progressivly louder, its where the manifold meets the pipe so I
assume its the gasket, maybe the other spring clip is missing I havent
seen it from underneath yet, but I'm wondering if that would cause or
contribute signifigantly to the gutlessness? lol when ever I find the
source of this problem and fix it, the old peice is meeting DR HAMMER!!!

Old June 27th 05, 11:34 PM
VW FREAK

ck that the timing belt has not jumped time?

-Ken
oups.com...

Old June 28th 05, 07:28 PM
gutlessjetta

i doubt it has,but ill check it if it becomes necessary(I dont have the
gear/know how lol)

Old June 28th 05, 07:31 PM
gutlessjetta

Old June 28th 05, 09:12 PM
Rob Guenther

Would this not affect all RPMs?
om...

Old June 29th 05, 03:10 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes the Knock Sensor will affect the spark advance and will cause a loss of
engine performance. You can check that with an adjustable timing light and
a Bentley manual.

A clogged exhaust will cause more exhaust noise at the manifold if it has a
leaky gasket.
Also a leak in front of the 02 sensor might cause running problems too.

Remember that the fuel pressure regulator can leak fuel and it will go into
the vacuum line and then into the intake manifold.

good luck
--
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"gutlessjetta" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> checked ALL intake pieces and vacuum lines,theyre all good,no fuel
> leakage anywhere,the wires distibutor cap and rotor are almost brand
> new,I did have to replace the coil recently (it died overnight too??)
> replaced it twice just to make sure after this happened lol, after
> driving it today i noticed it was behaving as you posted no power until
> the higher rpm,and once i was up to speed it seemed somewhat normal,
> but still not the jazz it should have,I'll try replacing those temp
> sensors,I'm really wonding about the knock sensor the wire looks fried,
> anyone have one of them go b4? Theres also the issue of the muffler it
> getting progressivly louder, its where the manifold meets the pipe so I
> assume its the gasket, maybe the other spring clip is missing I havent
> seen it from underneath yet, but I'm wondering if that would cause or
> contribute signifigantly to the gutlessness? lol when ever I find the
> source of this problem and fix it, the old peice is meeting DR HAMMER!!!

90 Jetta Idle problem on startup / 98 Jetta ignition key question Lee VW water cooled 2 June 14th 05 12:36 PM
Is the NEW Jetta as good as it sounds? [email protected] VW water cooled 1 June 6th 05 02:58 PM
330 coupe Paul Aspinall BMW 2 April 25th 05 07:46 PM
'95 Jetta III + OBD + clearing code2 XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 3 April 7th 05 12:23 PM
2005 Jetta GL & GLS compare to MKV amty VW water cooled 5 October 1st 04 12:27 AM