Traction

Old September 12th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scotty[_1_]

Default Traction

I drive a 1997 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, 2 1/2" lift, 31" tires, front
swaybar disconnects, otherwise stock. I drive two-track roads for
hunting, camping and fishing in all kinds of weather. I have also done
Moab Jeep Safari three times and have been able to negotiate 3 1/2
rated trails without getting hung-up. I try to drive with a light
foot. Where I live winter with icey roads can happen anytime between
Sep 1 and May 31. I have recently been considering some sort of locker
or limited slip. As I see it, I can do a rear ARB with all the bells
and whistles or a front and rear limited slip for about the same price.
These things are new to me, and I am the only Jeeper in my small town
so I have no one to turn to for real life experiences. What are the
advantages/disadvantages of each? Will I be satisfied with the limited
slip as I try new and maybe tougher trails? A person I talked with at
a Six States Distributors recomended an electric locker. From what I
have read about these is that they function as a limited slip until
activated, but they seem cheaper than an ARB. Any help and advice is
appreciated.

Old September 12th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

Adding a locker to the POS cheap ass rear axle you have can over stress it
to the point of destruction, even with a four banger. If you like to
fishtail a lot on icy roads, then a limited slip on the back only might not
be a bad idea. If you like to go sideways, put one on the front too.

If you seriously want to increase the off road ability of your Jeep, then an
axle upgrade sounds like a good idea.

Earle

ups.com...

Old September 13th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I really prefer my open diffs for the snow. I have a CJ7 as my daily
driver up here in Canada. With my 33x9.5" muds in snow, a TJ locked
front and rear can more or less keep up if they don't slide sideways off
the trail....

If I went for a locker I would go electric or cable only. As it is, I
use 2 wheel drive at lots of intersections because 4x4 can end up
plowing the front wheels straight when turning left at intersections.
With a locker, that kind of slushy turn would be impossible.

I have been 'stuck' on slushy ice with one front wheel and one back
wheel spinning away and the boys going for the straps and I have hit the
brake pedal hard while goosing the gas to get all 4 wheels tossing
rooster tails and away I go.

This method loads up the spinning wheel until the torque equals the
break away torque needed for the tire not spinning and gets the diff to
lock up both axles. The owners manual says you can use the emergency
brake to do this, but I have better luck with the brake pedal.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 13th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Daniel Bibbens

"Scotty" > writes:

> I drive a 1997 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, 2 1/2" lift, 31" tires, front
> swaybar disconnects, otherwise stock. I drive two-track roads for
>
> [..snipped..]
>
> These things are new to me, and I am the only Jeeper in my small
> town so I have no one to turn to for real life experiences. What
> are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Will I be satisfied with
> the limited slip as I try new and maybe tougher trails? A person I
>
> [..snipped..]

I have a setup similar to yours except that I have a Dana 44 with
limited-slip differential on the rear axle. My TJ is a 2004. I go
off-roading nearly every weekend in Southern California (where I
live). Here is the sum of my experience: Excellent tires and excellent
articulation will get you very far. Practice will take you farther
still, and a good line through/over an obstacle gets easier to spot
with experience.

I regularly ride "Black Diamond" (3 on a scale from 1 to 3 -- 3 being
toughest) trails here. I've not gotten stuck but have had to make a
second try on a couple of occasions. The limited-slip diff is nice to
have and it is my opinion, based on my experience and from observing
others, that a full lockers will offer an advantage ONLY at the margin
and in rare circumstances vs. limited-slip.

I prefer narrow tires and the lowest center of gravity possible (the
math seems natural to me). The only change I am considering is the
addition of an OX locker (engaged manually with a cable, not air or
electicity) to the front axle (which is open now), though I doubt I'll
ever use it. I'd invest in this order: tires (I have Mickey Thompson
Baja Claw radials and LOVE them), articulation, hi-lift jack, winch,
and then limited-slip differential(s).
Old September 13th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

A limited slip is garbage off road. It doesn't have the holding power it
needs to really get the traction you need in extreme 4-wheeling. I wheeled
my 89 YJ open front and rear on 33's but I had to really rev the engine and
rock over a lot of obstacles that I could have crawled up if I had been
locked.

To the OP- Look into a Lockright locker in the rear. It locks under power,
unlocks when you release the gas pedal. Its cheap, $250. Why get the cheap
one? When your D35 breaks, you won't be out too much $$ so you can upgrade
to a D44/ Ford 8.8. No, there is nothing you can do to keeep your D35 from
breaking. Taking it easy will extend it's life, but a locked D35 is a
ticking time bomb.

Lastly, unless it was special order or all ready swapped out, you have the
D35.

HTH,

Carl

Old September 13th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scotty[_1_]

It does have the D35.

Old September 13th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scotty[_1_]

I learned the brake thing "back in the day" when the Olds Toronado was
revolutionary with front wheel drive and everything else had rear wheel
drive and still use it today. Thanks for the input.

Old September 13th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Be sure and take a camera with you so you may add a broken picture
to: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 13th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

He might do okay with the lockright or the no-slip (both by Richmond) as
long as he stays with 31s and keeps out of the rocks.

If you watch all Bill's videos and look at all the pix you will come to the
conclusion that most of the guys pictured were trying to break their axles
and were excited when they did.

ups.com...

Old September 13th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

A Lock Rite is a light weight locker but it is still a locker. A Trak-Lok
is what I recommend for the D-35, but you are still going to go sideways.

Earle

"billy ray" > wrote in message
> He might do okay with the lockright or the no-slip (both by Richmond) as
> long as he stays with 31s and keeps out of the rocks.
>
> If you watch all Bill's videos and look at all the pix you will come to

the
> conclusion that most of the guys pictured were trying to break their axles
> and were excited when they did.
>
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > It does have the D35.
> >
> > Carl wrote:
> >> A limited slip is garbage off road. It doesn't have the holding power

it
> >> needs to really get the traction you need in extreme 4-wheeling. I
> >> wheeled
> >> my 89 YJ open front and rear on 33's but I had to really rev the engine
> >> and
> >> rock over a lot of obstacles that I could have crawled up if I had been
> >> locked.
> >>
> >> To the OP- Look into a Lockright locker in the rear. It locks under
> >> power,
> >> unlocks when you release the gas pedal. Its cheap, $250. Why get the
> >> cheap
> >> one? When your D35 breaks, you won't be out too much $$ so you can
> >> upgrade
> >> to a D44/ Ford 8.8. No, there is nothing you can do to keeep your D35
> >> from
> >> breaking. Taking it easy will extend it's life, but a locked D35 is a
> >> ticking time bomb.
> >>
> >> Lastly, unless it was special order or all ready swapped out, you have
> >> the
> >> D35.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> Carl

excellent

margin

I'll

2006 Mustang GT wont break traction. Erimikos Ford Mustang 40 May 12th 06 05:19 AM
diference between brake assist and VSA? harry Honda 4 March 16th 06 03:54 AM
TRAC traction. Does it affect mileage?? TSMANGOD Saturn 8 January 17th 05 01:58 AM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 05:42 PM
Serious off-road traction tires Jim 4x4 20 September 13th 04 04:20 PM