1999 Saturn SL2 accelerates when hitting the braks

Old March 26th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Pete KE9OA

Default 1999 Saturn SL2 accelerates when hitting the braks

I don't understand this one. When I approach a stoplight and hit the brakes,
the motor starts revving up, as if I am hitting the gas pedal.
Another thing; my "check engine" light came on as soon as I left one of
these oil change places. I thought maybe a wire had been accidently knocked
of from a downstream sensor until the mechanic explained that there is no
downstream sensor.
OBD problem..........................O2 Sensor, slow response. I went down
into the oil change pit so I could get a better look at things. The mechanic
explained that this vehicle has only one O2 sensor, and that nobody had
knocked any wires off. It could have been a fluke. Is it true, that there is
only one O2 sensor on a 1999 SL2?
I am not sure what to make out of this one. Has anybody seen this problem?
Thanks in advance!

Pete

Old March 26th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

Pete KE9OA wrote:
> I don't understand this one. When I approach a stoplight and hit the brakes,
> the motor starts revving up, as if I am hitting the gas pedal.

does it happen all the time? If it happens more with one pair of shoes
they may be the problem... (I notice that I can heel-toe much better in
tennis shoes than boots or sandals).

> Is it true, that there is
> only one O2 sensor on a 1999 SL2?

There are 2 - one in the manifold, one after the catalytic converter.
Old March 28th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
njot

On Mar 26, 2:05 am, Kevin > wrote:
> Pete KE9OA wrote:
> > I don't understand this one. When I approach a stoplight and hit the brakes,
> > the motor starts revving up, as if I am hitting the gas pedal.

> does it happen all the time? If it happens more with one pair of shoes
> they may be the problem... (I notice that I can heel-toe much better in
> tennis shoes than boots or sandals).
>
> > Is it true, that there is
> > only one O2 sensor on a 1999 SL2?

> There are 2 - one in the manifold, one after the catalytic converter.

Most likely there's an air leak in the hose to the brake power
booster.
Check this first.

Old March 29th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Pete KE9OA

Thanks folks! I'll check these things out.

Pete

oups.com...

1999 Saturn turbo50 Saturn 2 December 14th 05 01:05 PM
Pulls when accelerates RobBob13 4x4 4 December 5th 05 10:05 PM
1999 saturn ls2? ganggreen82 Saturn 2 July 27th 05 01:12 PM
car accelerates too slow even if I floor the gas pedal Charles Technology 22 March 2nd 05 08:36 PM
1999 Saturn SL automatic littleone2 Saturn 2 August 9th 04 04:20 PM