E85 vs Gasoline - credible numbers?

Old September 11th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Solar Flare[_1_]

Default E85 vs Gasoline - credible numbers?

How many hours in a year?

LOL

Old September 11th 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Joe Fischer[_1_]

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:50:26 -0400, "Solar Flare"
> wrote:

>Why would we subtract Hours from the megawatts?

>>> Raw solar power MEGAWATT-hours per acre per day.
>>> 8,863 MEGAWATT-Hours per year per acre.

Because megawatt hours per acre per year is a gross
estimate, and varies from place to place and from year to year.

Megawatts per acre is a much more definitive statement,
while the sun shines.

But it isn't all that many megawatts, is it?

43,000 times about 100 = 4.3 megawatts thermal?

At 10 percent efficiency, 430 KW electric?

Joe Fischer

Old September 11th 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Solar Flare[_1_]

How many hours did you subtract from the Megawatts and what quantity
did it yield?

Old September 11th 06, 10:34 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Lloyd Parker

In article >,
Steve > wrote:
>Lloyd Parker wrote:
>
>>>Just the heat
>>>generated by turning the knob can set it off and cause a fire/explosion.
>>>

>> But not O2 at 1 atm. Otherwise nobody could breathe it without combustion.
>>

>Nobody DOES breathe PURE 02 at 1 atmosphere. Even wearing an O2 mask,
>there is dilution with nitrogen (primarily) and all the other gasses
>that make up the soup we call "air."
>
>I agree that technically you are correct- there is an activation energy
>required to start combustion when pure o2 and a fuel are mixed, but the
>PRACTICAL result is that its much easier to light a mixture of 02 and
>fuel than air and fuel. Whoever said that you don't need ANY activator
>was certainly wrong, but the activator can be much more trivial.

Ever use an oxy-acetylene torch? Or an atomic esmission spectrometer? Oxygen
and acetylene. Do they ignite spontaneously at the tip of the burner? No.
Requires a spark or a flame.
Old September 11th 06, 02:24 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Lloyd Parker

In article >,
Joe Fischer > wrote:
>On Mon, (Lloyd Parker) wrote:

>>Ever use an oxy-acetylene torch?

> Yes, 65 years ago, and the gauges say definitely to
>use NO oil, even at the 10 or 20 PSI at the gauge, a fire
>could start spontaneously.

Yes, because with the O2 at high pressure, it is much more reactive. When it
comes out of the burner, it is at atmospheric pressure.

>> Or an atomic esmission spectrometer? Oxygen
>>and acetylene. Do they ignite spontaneously at the tip of the burner? No.
>>Requires a spark or a flame.

> For your information, oily rags can start burning
>without a spark, and coal piled only 10 feet high can
>start burning spontaneously.

From the DOE:

The coal's temperature begins to climb above ambient. At about 150-300
degrees F, it begins to give off minute, but measurable, quantities of
gas--aerosols, hydrogen, and CO(2)--precursors of combustion. As the
temperature increases further--at about 600-700 degrees F--relatively,
large, visible particulates are emitted. Soon, as the heating rate
increases in intensity to about 750-800 degrees F, incipient combustion,
and ultimately self-ignition and flame, will occur.

So gotta get to pretty high temp.

> Combustion is a normal process in decay

What does this mean?

>and in
>the presence of any organic material, and regardless if
>it takes at least a static spark, hydrocarbons are less
>safe if exposed to pure oxygen, and not even safe
>in air under certain conditions.

So cut down all the trees?

Old September 11th 06, 02:25 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Lloyd Parker

In article >,
jim > wrote:

wrote:

>> "Lloyd Parker" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Ever use an oxy-acetylene torch? Or an atomic esmission spectrometer?
>> > Oxygen
>> > and acetylene. Do they ignite spontaneously at the tip of the burner?
>> > No.
>> > Requires a spark or a flame.

>> Actually, since you insist on saying irrelevant pedantic things, I thought
>> I'd chime in one of my own.... Oxygen and acetylene _will_ spontaneously
>> ignite without an ignition source, under the right conditions.

>So will diesel fuel. Happens all the time
>
>-jim

At 1 atm?

News==----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

Newsgroups

Old September 11th 06, 04:47 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem

"Lloyd Parker" > wrote in message

> Ever use an oxy-acetylene torch? Or an atomic esmission spectrometer?
> Oxygen
> and acetylene. Do they ignite spontaneously at the tip of the burner?
> No.
> Requires a spark or a flame.

Actually, since you insist on saying irrelevant pedantic things, I thought
I'd chime in one of my own.... Oxygen and acetylene _will_ spontaneously
ignite without an ignition source, under the right conditions. Do you know
what that condition is and why? It's another p-chem concept that you might
have forgotten. Hydrogen will do it too.

Eric Lucas

Old September 11th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
ghostwriter

wrote:
> "ghostwriter" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> >> Can ethanol be polymerized up to something approximately like
> >> octane?

> > Yes, but increasing the energy density means a loss in absolute energy
> > output. Thats a waste in the case of ethanol

> Yes, as an example, ethanol can be dehydrated to ethylene, which can be
> oligomerized to octene (which can be further hydrogenated to octane if
> necessary).
>
> This increases energy density modestly (about 30 % by the deltaH(combustion)
> numbers). I'm not sure what you mean "a loss in absolute energy output",
> but the process I just described does consume considerable energy. Perhaps
> you meant "a loss in total energy when summed across the cycle." However,
> that is trivially true for any processing step, even for your F-T example,
> since the syngas must have come from something lower in energy like
> methanol. In fact, any conversion step involves a loss in total energy,
> unless there is some mechanism to introduce energy into the system (for
> example, plant photosynthesis).

1kg of ethanol burns for 409cals, it can be converted to 0.6kg of
ethylene and 0.4kg of water. Ethylene burns at 370cals/kg so that gives
off 225cals. A little more than 50% eifficient assuming you achieve
100% yeild (which you cant) and dont have to input heat to drive the
reacion (which you must). Thats before you add any other steps, I am
using the 1982 edition of the CRC handbook, but I doubt much has
changed.

F-T-diesel is actually worse from a total energy efficiency standpoint,
but works out better since it isnt necessary to ferment and distill
anything to produce syngas. A syngas generator doesnt care what the
feedstock is, whereas a dehydration system would only run on straight
ethanol. Diesel also has much higher energy density than ethanol.

Ethanol is useful because it is well understood and easy to produce on
a relativly low capital budget. F-T is only efficient as a large scale
process currently, since cleaning the syngas so that it doesnt poision
the catayst is a difficult and intensive process.

In the end it comes down to priorities and available resourses not to
any paticular advantage to either system.

Japanese Make Gasoline From Cattle Dung laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 9 March 6th 06 02:19 AM
Gasoline reported to "spoil" after only one month in your tank [email protected] Technology 4 September 6th 05 07:08 PM
We're at War - Ration Gasoline! MoPar Man Chrysler 4 August 22nd 05 03:43 AM
Top Tier Fuel Don Stauffer Technology 7 August 4th 05 05:19 AM
Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 09:58 AM