Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

Old July 20th 06, 03:43 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
[email protected]

Default Texas driver's license to jump up to a whopping $100 or more

Driver license costs could go up
Reason: New federal anti-terrorism law
By Mike Ward
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, July 20, 2006

Texans could soon get a jolt when they apply for a driver's license. Or
maybe not.

State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, was quoted Wednesday as
saying Department of Public Safety officials alerted her that the cost
of a license could jump from $24 for six years to a whopping $100 or
more.

Reason: A new federal anti-terrorism law requiring all states' driver's
licenses to be the same and much more sophisticated. Read that as more
costly.

"We're looking at a huge, unfunded mandate," she told the San Antonio
Express-News.

Even so, state officials quickly insisted that the $100 estimate is not
a certainty, or even a good estimate, perhaps, since federal rules
covering the new licenses have not been approved.

They noted that any increase in the cost of licenses would have to be
approved by the Texas Legislature, an unlikely group to quadruple the
cost if public outrage were to surface as expected over such a steep
increase.

"DPS has done some modeling of costs, but the exact regulations are
still in the rulemaking process, so it's premature to have hard and
fast estimates," said Rachael Novier, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick
Perry.

She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
making our driver's licenses more secure."

Lisa Block, a spokeswoman for DPS, was similarly noncommittal on any
estimates.

"We're looking at the (federal) requirements and how we will respond to
those requirements," she said. "We're still formulating the estimates.
.. . . Any numbers we have are estimates. Nothing is finalized."

A Homeland Security representative in Washington said Wednesday that
the change in federal law stemmed from the report of the Sept. 11
commission, which studied the terrorist attacks. Citing the fact that
all but one of the Sept. 11 hijackers had obtained driver's licenses or
other state identity cards, the commission recommended standardizing
all state licenses and improving verification of applicants'
backgrounds.

Van de Putte was traveling Wednesday and could not be reached for
comment.

She told the Express-News that she was told the higher costs will stem
from already approved federal regulations that will require DPS to
begin more closely checking driver's license applications . That, she
said, could result in longer lines not only for new applicants but for
those who renew as well.

DPS officials estimated the change will cost Texas about $168 million
the first year and $104 million a year after that, the senator was
quoted as saying.

Texas has about 16 million licensed drivers. Last year the state issued
700,000 new licenses and processed 2.6 million renewals.

By the numbers:
Driver's license costs

The price of a driver's license in Texas since the first one was issued
in 1935:

1935: 25 cents a year
1942: $3 for two years
1968: $6 for four years, $3 for two years
1974: $7 for four years
1984: $10 for four years
1985: $16 for four years
1998: $24 for six years, $4 per year

Source: Texas Department of Public Safety

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...20license.html

Old July 20th 06, 06:39 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, wrote:
> Driver license costs could go up
> Reason: New federal anti-terrorism law
> By Mike Ward
> AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
> Thursday, July 20, 2006

<....>

Just the back-doored national ID.... all hail REAL-ID

Old July 21st 06, 05:20 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE

On 20 Jul 2006 07:43:35 -0700, wrote:

>Driver license costs could go up
>Reason: New federal anti-terrorism law
>By Mike Ward
>AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
>Thursday, July 20, 2006
>
>Texans could soon get a jolt when they apply for a driver's license. Or
>maybe not.
>
>State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, was quoted Wednesday as
>saying Department of Public Safety officials alerted her that the cost
>of a license could jump from $24 for six years to a whopping $100 or
>more.
>
>Reason: A new federal anti-terrorism law requiring all states' driver's
>licenses to be the same and much more sophisticated. Read that as more
>costly.
>
>"We're looking at a huge, unfunded mandate," she told the San Antonio
>Express-News.
>
>Even so, state officials quickly insisted that the $100 estimate is not
>a certainty, or even a good estimate, perhaps, since federal rules
>covering the new licenses have not been approved.
>
>They noted that any increase in the cost of licenses would have to be
>approved by the Texas Legislature, an unlikely group to quadruple the
>cost if public outrage were to surface as expected over such a steep
>increase.

The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
violation in the last 6 years. Make the criminals pay thru the nose
not the law-abiding citizens.
Old July 21st 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Loco laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE proud graduate of the South Hampton
Institute of Technology ****ted the following bull**** in
rec.autos.driving:

> The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
> but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
> violation in the last 6 years. Make the criminals pay thru the nose
> not the law-abiding citizens.

By that logic, based on your admissions here, I estimate that your
license would cost about $724.00, or about two or three of your welfare
checks for the year. Are you ready to walk that talk; or just walk
everywhere you go?

--
"My tars have been bald for two years.
Every month i glue some sandpaper to them and

--Laura Buch murdered her boyfriend
/ laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE 10/25/05

Message ID:
http://tinyurl.com/7p7xq
Old July 21st 06, 02:55 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
rick++

It could backfire too. There are some areas in the SW states where you
lucky
to find half the cars and drivers with legal registrations. Raising
prices will
have even less register. Dont even bother asking about insurance.

Old July 21st 06, 03:54 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics
John F. Carr

In article >,
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:
>The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
>but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
>violation in the last 6 years.

The fee IS based on your driving record. Texas has had a "driver
responsibility" tax on license points for a few years now. Three
speeding tickets = $300. See
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/drp/drp.htm

The base fee is rising because government grows to meet revenue
and the money from the last tax increase has already been spent.

--
John Carr )
Old July 21st 06, 07:34 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.economics

On 21 Jul 2006 14:54:13 GMT, (John F. Carr) wrote:

>In article >,
>laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:
>>The fee should be based on your driving record. Charge a base of $24
>>but when it's time to renew add another $100 for each traffic
>>violation in the last 6 years.

>The fee IS based on your driving record. Texas has had a "driver
>responsibility" tax on license points for a few years now. Three
>speeding tickets = $300. See

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/drp/drp.htm

>The base fee is rising because government grows to meet revenue
>and the money from the last tax increase has already been spent.

The base fee shouldn't rise. If they need more money take it out of
the speeders and duis and other highway criminals. Leave us
law-abiding citizens alone.

Old July 21st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Loco laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE, proud graduate of the South
Hampton Institute of Technology told this lie in rec.autos.driving:

> Leave us law-abiding citizens alone.

You got alot of nerve calling yourself a "law abiding citizan," you
criminal.

"> Have you ever driven a car faster than the legal speed limit?

Yes, but never deliberately. In fact i got a speeding ticket about 5
years ago for doing 41 in a 25. I just about kicked the cops teeth in
cause i was sure he was lying. No way the SL on this wide open
stretch could be 25, i thought."

Pride of America (c.k.a. "laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMOCIDE), 10/3/2002
http://tinyurl.com/5u4wg

Connecting POA to LBMHB/lbVH:
See the following: http://tinyurl.com/ahphj
Old July 22nd 06, 08:13 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
Billzz

"Dennis M" > wrote in message
> >She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
>>cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
>>making our driver's licenses more secure."

> Glad to hear that, in the future maybe privileged people like George W.
> Bush and his wife won't be able to wipe their records clean of infractions
> both in Texas and other states by uniquely being issued brand new Texas
> drivers licenses.

I lived in Texas for ten years (and had a son who got tickets) and do not
believe that renewal has anything to do with "wipe their records clean." I
think that you have some political agenda.

Old July 22nd 06, 01:45 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.economics
Morton Davis

"Dennis M" > wrote in message
> >She said Perry is going to ask the Department of Homeland Security "to
> >cover cost increases from any change they make, though he supports
> >making our driver's licenses more secure."

> Glad to hear that, in the future maybe privileged people like George W.
> Bush and his wife won't be able to wipe their records clean of infractions
> both in Texas and other states by uniquely being issued brand new Texas
> drivers licenses.

What infractions were "wiped clean"?

Does Texas use the point-system? [email protected] Driving 19 May 26th 05 07:27 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 02:37 AM
Check your drivers license Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 January 15th 05 05:18 PM