Dead E30

Old April 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Dead E30

Earlier today, after running perfectly for months, my 1991 318is died. It
would not turn over but all the power items (windows, etc) worked... if a
little slow. Jumped it and it started right up and drove the 1/4 mile home.
haven't had it back out. I of course suspect the alternator so was
wondering if there is a way to check it on the car or if I need to take it
some where... or if there is something else entirely I should be looking at.
thanks

Matt

Old April 14th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

.. or if there is something else entirely I should be looking at.
> thanks
>
> Matt

Have the battery checked first.

Joe

Old April 14th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> Earlier today, after running perfectly for months, my 1991 318is died. It
> would not turn over but all the power items (windows, etc) worked... if a
> little slow. Jumped it and it started right up and drove the 1/4 mile home.
> haven't had it back out. I of course suspect the alternator so was
> wondering if there is a way to check it on the car or if I need to take it
> some where... or if there is something else entirely I should be looking at.

Much more likely to be the battery. The give little warning of failure.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old April 16th 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

John Burns wrote:
> > Earlier today, after running perfectly for months, my 1991 318is died. It
> > would not turn over but all the power items (windows, etc) worked... if a
> > little slow. Jumped it and it started right up and drove the 1/4 mile home.
> > haven't had it back out. I of course suspect the alternator so was
> > wondering if there is a way to check it on the car or if I need to take it
> > some where... or if there is something else entirely I should be looking at.

> Much more likely to be the battery. The give little warning of failure.
>
> --
> Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
> Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> Need Sun or HP Unix kit? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html
> www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

i had the same problem w. my '90 535i. It just needed a new battery.

Old April 16th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"guveneur" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Much more likely to be the battery. The give little warning of failure.
>>

> i had the same problem w. my '90 535i. It just needed a new battery.

Battery tested bad, so replaced it and it ran great all day yesterday..
today, same problem... Alt is next. Thanks