have a rear axle and differential?

Old July 5th 05, 10:21 PM
js5895

Default have a rear axle and differential?

Hi,

Does the 1997 Ford Taurus have a rear axle and differential?

Thanks, for your help.

Old July 6th 05, 01:40 AM
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Yes to both questions.
But the differential is not in the rear axle.

Erich

oups.com...

Old July 6th 05, 02:22 AM

Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:
> Yes to both questions.
> But the differential is not in the rear axle.
>
> Erich
>
> "js5895" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does the 1997 Ford Taurus have a rear axle and differential?
> >
> > Thanks, for your help.

I've got a 93 taurus.. now the 97 is the newer body style, but I don't
believe they stopped using the indie rear suspension.. without a solid
beam connecting the two rear tires I don't know that I would consider
it having a rear 'axle'.

Jim

Old July 6th 05, 04:50 PM
js5895

Two rear axles, one on each side of the differential, right?

Old July 6th 05, 05:16 PM
Mike Romain

Not on a front wheel drive car.....

You only have spindles to hold bearings like mentioned, no axles in the
rear.

You do have 2 'front' axles though, one on each side of the front
differential.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 7th 05, 11:04 AM

Mike Romain wrote:
> Not on a front wheel drive car.....
>
> You only have spindles to hold bearings like mentioned, no axles in the
> rear.

Some FWD cars did have a solid beam across the rear to which both
spindles attached.. VW rabbit, K-cars, Omni, Chrysler Minivans I
think.. I would consider that an axle, even though it doesn't have a
diff.

Jim

Old July 7th 05, 11:05 AM