Early GTV: Buying Advice

Old June 28th 04, 08:29 AM
Simon C

Default Early GTV: Buying Advice

Hi all

I am looking to buy a late 60's/early 70's GTV (1750 or 2000) and would
appreciate some buying advice/tips.

I am not that mechanically-minded, so would like to know what should I look
for in a car of that age and type.

I have a seen a couple on the internet starting from early GBP4000 mark to
just over GBP5000. Is this fair for a well restored version?

I know I should've attended the Alfa day to get a good look around, but I
got my June's and July's mixed up earlier in the month, so didn't make it!
Are there any other events in the pipeline?

Any advice is appreciated (apart from learning my calendar!!).

Cheers

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Old June 28th 04, 11:37 AM
Phil Speight

Cheque for rust .Bottom of the wings , around front and rear screens , front
and rear valances , all over the doors
and under the radiator and last but not least THE SILLS!
Then cheque everywhere else.
Some panels are hard to find as are door frames and some of the trim. From
what I can gather a lot of the restorations are not good - and I should now
because
the one I bought had been put together by a butcher.
I`m sorting it out but only because I bought it cheap enough to make it a
viable proposition.
Be careful.
Cheers
Phil

Old June 29th 04, 09:20 PM

"Simon C" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all
>
> I am looking to buy a late 60's/early 70's GTV (1750 or 2000) and would
> appreciate some buying advice/tips.
>
> I am not that mechanically-minded, so would like to know what should I look
> for in a car of that age and type.
>
> I have a seen a couple on the internet starting from early GBP4000 mark to
> just over GBP5000. Is this fair for a well restored version?
>
> I know I should've attended the Alfa day to get a good look around, but I
> got my June's and July's mixed up earlier in the month, so didn't make it!
> Are there any other events in the pipeline?
>
> Any advice is appreciated (apart from learning my calendar!!).
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon C
> 156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
> To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Hi Simon,
As one of our friends say, check the chassis under the radiator.
The floor panels front and rear, n/s and o/s.
Also the spare wheel well rots away. some old Ford Cortina wells fit.
£5000 should get you a good car, but check it out carefully.
If you do find a good one I'm sure you will enjoy it, I had a 2000GTV
for 8 years and have been tempted to buy another but sadly I am to old
to keep working on it, as you have to to keep it in tip top condition.
Mechanicaly they were better than most cars of that year [1965/1975].
People often call the Italian cars for rotting, but how many '65 fords
are still running and able to top 120mph and 130bhp. Infact Ford
didn't have a decent twin cam, and they had to go to Lotus for help.
Good luck, John, UK.

156 Child seat advice please Martin Alfa Romeo 4 August 6th 04 01:21 PM
Tyre Advice, Please. Ross Alfa Romeo 11 June 4th 04 04:17 PM
Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice. MeatballTurbo Alfa Romeo 59 May 25th 04 10:55 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM
Alfa 33 Permanent 4 Advice Please rossco103 Alfa Romeo 0 April 26th 04 01:53 PM