'63 bug - stock tire question

Old December 15th 04, 01:39 AM
Tock

I always used bias tubeless tires on my VW's (had 5 of 'em), and I read
somewhere along the way that the newer steel belted tires are a bit too hard
on the suspension system, as the bias tires absorb more road shock than
radials. I dunno if this is true or not, but it sounds reasonable to me.
When I get my next VW, I'll look for bias ply tires first, but if I
can't find any, well, I'll be ready to spring for extra suspension parts too
.. . .
-Tock

oups.com...

Old December 15th 04, 01:46 AM
Tock

www.coker.com is a tire company that makes stuff for antique and classic
cars. Click in the year and VW and you'll get your answer . . . they look
nice (big 3" sidewalls) but they're pricy. But ya, they can tell ya what
size you need.
=Tock

Old December 15th 04, 02:40 AM
Jim Adney

On 13 Dec 2004 10:18:21 -0800 "Dane Tyler" > wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I know this has been discussed at length before, but I just want to be
>sure before I put the tires on my '63, with the original wheels.
>
>Is it best to go with:
>
>1) Radials with tubes,
>2) Radials without tubes,
>3) Bias-belted without tubes.

Your original wheels lack the safety hump in the rim which will keep
radial tires from pulling sideways and deflating suddenly under hard
cornering. A tube would at least slow down the deflation, even though
it might well pop if you did this.

To use radial tires, it is recommended that you either have the safety
hump or use an inner tube. For some reason, bias ply tires don't have
this limitation. I don't know why.

Tubeless bias ply tires on these rims would be fine, but radials will
handle better, probably last longer, and get better gas mileage.

The correct size for your '63 is either 5.60-15 or 155R15.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old December 15th 04, 04:14 AM
John Crichton

Howard Rose wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:04:35 GMT, John Crichton >
> wrote:
>

>>I think I used to know what the tire size that originally shipped on a
>>'64/'65 Beetle but that info has apparently been erased.

> 5.60x15 crossply. Euro-spec cars had Michelin from 1965, but I
> believe US-spec cars had different ones?
>
> Unfortunately Michelin no longer make a 5.60x15 crossply tyre, but
> Camacs look almost identical.
>
> --
> Howard Rose
> 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
> 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe
> 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
> http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars on website)

So would say a brand new '65 Bug on the dealer's lot have whitewall or
blackwall tires?

Old December 15th 04, 04:42 AM
Dane Tyler

I've seen old pictures of both...I think they were an option.

Another question would be, when were the fat whitewalls replaced with
the thinner white walls? I would guess '66 or so...

Dane

Old December 15th 04, 06:08 AM
Tim Rogers

"Dane Tyler" > wrote in message

> Another question would be, when were the fat whitewalls replaced with
> the thinner white walls? I would guess '66 or so...

..................I'd say that they were starting to disappear about 5 or
more years earlier than '66.

Old December 15th 04, 02:29 PM
Howard Rose

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:14:06 GMT, John Crichton >
wrote:

>So would say a brand new '65 Bug on the dealer's lot have whitewall or
>blackwall tires?

In the UK, I don't think whitewalls were even an option!