Airbag warning light.

Old October 24th 04, 12:13 PM
Alfa71

Default Airbag warning light.

Yesterday I changed one of the small light bulbs that
illuminates the speedometer. Quite an easy process,
just 3 screws and two connectors to disconnect.
Only trouble is that now, after remounting everything,
I have the red and yellow airbag warning lights on.
I checked connections again behind the dash-speedometer
and all is ok. Infact all lights work and turn off after check
control, but these two remain lit up.
I aslo checked the n°1 and n° 10 fuse (they're supposed to be
protecting the Airbag system) and they are both intact.
Anyone had a similar experience ? can somebody help me ?
Only thing I can point out is that it could be a different lamp power
(they come from my old AUDI 80!!) and could have probably
caused a higher current absorbtion damaging some other circuit.
Could it be ?

Thanks for any advice or help, Tony (Italy)

Old October 24th 04, 01:23 PM
Carl Farrington

Alfa71 wrote:
> Yesterday I changed one of the small light bulbs that
> illuminates the speedometer. Quite an easy process,
> just 3 screws and two connectors to disconnect.
> Only trouble is that now, after remounting everything,
> I have the red and yellow airbag warning lights on.
> I checked connections again behind the dash-speedometer
> and all is ok. Infact all lights work and turn off after check
> control, but these two remain lit up.
> I aslo checked the n°1 and n° 10 fuse (they're supposed to be
> protecting the Airbag system) and they are both intact.
> Anyone had a similar experience ? can somebody help me ?
> Only thing I can point out is that it could be a different lamp power
> (they come from my old AUDI 80!!) and could have probably
> caused a higher current absorbtion damaging some other circuit.
> Could it be ?
>
> Thanks for any advice or help, Tony (Italy)

Sounds like you had the key in the ignition and turned to ACC or ON or
whatever when you disconnected the odo stuff. On the Supra it's simply a
matter of alternating two pins (TC & AB) in the DIAG port to the ground
terminal of the battery.

I'm sure there will be a similar procedure for the Alfa, but I don't know
exactly what it is. If you can't do it yourself then a dealer should be able
to do it for you. HTH

Old October 25th 04, 07:53 AM
Buzzardous Cross

I remember reading somewhere that the airbag warning light is quite a
stickler. So once it's on, it stays on even after the cause has been
removed or rectified. This typically happens when the airbag
connection under the front seats are slightly off due to oxidation
etc. I think the only way is to take it in and have them use the
Examiner to reset the warning light.

BC

Old October 25th 04, 10:20 AM
Jacopo

It's another *common* problem with 156s, the only thing you can do is reset
the warning light with the examiner.

--
Jacopo
Prato, Italia

Old October 25th 04, 08:54 PM
Alfa71

> It's another *common* problem with 156s, the only thing you can do is

reset
> the warning light with the examiner.

Thanks a lot for you advice guys.... I took the car to my
mechanic this morning. He connected up the Diagnosis system and resetted the
fault for me.
Thanks again.

Tony (Italy)

Old October 26th 04, 01:48 AM
Carl Farrington

Alfa71 wrote:
>> It's another *common* problem with 156s, the only thing you can do
>> is reset the warning light with the examiner.

> Thanks a lot for you advice guys.... I took the car to my
> mechanic this morning. He connected up the Diagnosis system and
> resetted the fault for me.
> Thanks again.
>
> Tony (Italy)

It's what happens if you have the ignition on with the odometer
disconnected. Trust me. Next time make sure you don't turn the ignition
(even half-turned to power the electrics) with the odo disconnected.

My Supra does it (when alarm was fitted, and when I was fitting my radio
too), and when I went to have my Alfa GTV mileage adjusted, I asked the chap
if I could turn the key a bit so I could light a cigarette while he had the
odometer out, and he said "No because your airbag light will come on and
stay on."

Old October 26th 04, 10:25 AM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "Carl Farrington" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:48:39 +0100
> Subject: Airbag warning light.
>
> Alfa71 wrote:
>>> It's another *common* problem with 156s, the only thing you can do
>>> is reset the warning light with the examiner.

>> Thanks a lot for you advice guys.... I took the car to my
>> mechanic this morning. He connected up the Diagnosis system and
>> resetted the fault for me.
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Tony (Italy)

> It's what happens if you have the ignition on with the odometer
> disconnected. Trust me. Next time make sure you don't turn the ignition
> (even half-turned to power the electrics) with the odo disconnected.
>
> My Supra does it (when alarm was fitted, and when I was fitting my radio
> too), and when I went to have my Alfa GTV mileage adjusted,

<snip>

Were you changing the mileage to get a more accurate impression of how many
miles the engine felt like it had done?

Old October 26th 04, 08:13 PM
Carl Farrington

Tom Boltwood wrote:
>> From: "Carl Farrington" >
>> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
>> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:48:39 +0100
>> Subject: Airbag warning light.

>>> Thanks a lot for you advice guys.... I took the car to my
>>> mechanic this morning. He connected up the Diagnosis system and
>>> resetted the fault for me.
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Tony (Italy)

>> It's what happens if you have the ignition on with the odometer
>> disconnected. Trust me. Next time make sure you don't turn the
>> ignition (even half-turned to power the electrics) with the odo
>> disconnected.
>>
>> My Supra does it (when alarm was fitted, and when I was fitting my
>> radio too), and when I went to have my Alfa GTV mileage adjusted,

> <snip>
>
> Were you changing the mileage to get a more accurate impression of
> how many miles the engine felt like it had done?

yeah.. I added a few thou