jeep cherokee engine coolant leak

Old March 5th 05, 06:42 PM
brwnstar

Default jeep cherokee engine coolant leak

In Oct. '04 had engine coolant leaking resulting in new radiator/hoses;
two weeks later leaking and then had water pump replaced; within one
month leaking and had head gasket replaced. Currently leaking- freezer
plug. Couldn't all of these have been dectected the first visit so I
am not paying for all this labor to still fix a leak? Jeep Cherokee
1998 -- sick of leaking.

--
brwnstar
brwnstar's Profile: http://www.automotivenewsgroups.com/....php?userid=23

Old March 5th 05, 07:42 PM
HarryS

There are several things that causes the leaks you have described. The
first is a major over heating and the second is not flushing and chainging
your antifreexze every two years and yes even the extended Life DEXCool.
Acids build up attacking all tour internal parts of your engine and eats its
way through the weak points, gaskets, freeze plugs, and pump seals. See the
link and get some test strips or flush and clean every two years or the
problem will get worse.
http://www.diywatertesting.com/coolt...st_strips.html

HarryS

Old March 5th 05, 08:27 PM
Snow

Sounds like my power steering leak on my 93 Cherokee. replaced the press.
line now have to replace my return line and next item will be the reservoir
(I have to modify it now..damn plastic crap.)

To answer your question, no these things may be the result of first fixing
the rad it could now hold a higher pressure, causing the next weakest link
to leak and so on.

Snow...

Old March 7th 05, 09:32 PM

: In Oct. '04 had engine coolant leaking resulting in new radiator/hoses;
: two weeks later leaking and then had water pump replaced; within one
: month leaking and had head gasket replaced. Currently leaking- freezer
: plug. Couldn't all of these have been dectected the first visit so I
: am not paying for all this labor to still fix a leak? Jeep Cherokee
: 1998 -- sick of leaking.

Sounds like the engine was mistreated by either serious overheating or
by lack of proper amount of antifreeze in it.

Old March 8th 05, 02:04 PM
Mike Romain

Wow! How bad was it frozen up?

With all those things blown out, you could even be looking at a cracked
block or cracked head before you are finished with it, you have nasty
damage by the sounds of it.

If the frost plugs are popped, you have to remove the engine to replace
all of them. :-(

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's