Ford Explorer servicing cd/dvd ??

Old March 5th 05, 04:02 AM

Default Ford Explorer servicing cd/dvd ??

I am an Explorer newbie, and need to start working on my '98 XLT. Can't
afford $105/hr just to diagnose, more to work on the car, as my local
dealers are telling me. I have low to average mechanical skills, but
don't take on anything major at all.

I have heard about a Ford Explorer servicing cd/dvd. Does anyone know
where to get it? Is it good? Or would it be better to get a good shop
manual?
Sorry for all the questions, but what's the best shop manual?

Thanks,
Allen

Old March 5th 05, 04:29 AM
Jim Warman

http://www.helmsinc.com The manuals aren't cheap.... the manuals are
written with the understanding that the end user has good basic mechanical
skills and will have access to some specialized tools.

Helms prints the factory authorized manuals for Ford... they do contain
typos and inappropriate test procedures in some instances.

oups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 04:43 AM
Joe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7958224206
Ebay $7 Shipped, Covers all 98 Ford Trucks/Vans/SUVs
Item number: 7958224206

Good Luck,
Joe

Old March 5th 05, 04:46 AM
Joe

Also, if you ever have your check engine light illuminate. Bring it to
checker/AutoZone for a free scan. Dealer will charge you $100 right
there

Old March 5th 05, 02:29 PM
Charlie Bress

How long to you keep a car?
That comes into the question of how much to spend on the manual.
I have a 92, bought new and still going with just over 170K.
I bought the Helm's manual.
Yes, they are expensive and as Jim pointed out have typos and errors.
But my take is this "how many hours (read that as cost) of shop time do I
have to avoid to pay for the manuals?"
Realize that in the Helm manuals there are many books in the set.
I have three: Body/Chassis/Electrical, Engine, and Electrical & Vacuum
Troubleshooting.
Between these and the advice on this NG I can tell what I can fix and what
needs professional help.
Also by reading up on a problem, I can avoid a snow job when taking it in.

Charlie

oups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 05:03 PM

Thanks, just sent for it

Old March 5th 05, 05:04 PM

thanks

Old March 5th 05, 05:05 PM

I live in Northern cal, I don't know if we have checker. We have a lot
of Kragen's and Pep Boys

Old March 5th 05, 05:06 PM

I got the cd from Ebay, $6.99, if it's no good, I'm only out a few
bucks.

Old March 5th 05, 05:46 PM
Joe

> I got the cd from Ebay, $6.99, if it's no good, I'm only out a few
> bucks.

This CD has proved very helpful with my 97. Covers: Chassis,
Powertrain, Electrical, Body/Paint. BTW, I believe Kragen Auto is the
same as Checker
Good Luck,
Joe

This is an example of the detail it goes in to for something as simple
as the horn..

=AB1997 Explorer/Mountaineer Table of Contents=BB
=ABGroup 4: Electrical=BB
=ABSection 413-06: HORN

VEHICLE APPLICATION
Explorer, Mountaineer

-DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION-
Horn System
Dual, electrically operated horns are mounted in the left front corner
above the fender apron.

Horn Switch, Steering Wheel Mounted
The horn blow switches (13A875) are underneath the driver side air bag
module (043B13) in the steering wheel (3600). The switches are powered
through the air bag sliding contact (14A664) and ground through the
steering column.

-DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING- <You can select one of these and it will help
you step by step>

=B2 Electrical Schematic Reference(s)

=B2 Inspection and Verification

=B2 Symptom Chart

=B2 Pinpoint Tests

=B2 PINPOINT TEST A: HORN DOES NOT SOUND (Index)

=B2 PINPOINT TEST B: HORN SOUNDS CONTINUOUSLY (Index)

=B2 REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

-REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION- <BTW, this section has pictures>
Removal

1. Raise and support the hood.

=B5 2. Remove the horn bracket bolt.

=B5 3. Remove the fender apron bolts.

=B5 4. Position the fender apron aside.

=B5 5. Remove the horn.

1 Disconnect the electrical connector.

2 Remove the horn.

Installation

=B5 1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

=B5 Refer to corresponding illustration.
=20

-SPECIFICATIONS-
This covers torque specs etc.