93 Saturn SL2 belt noise

Old July 17th 05, 07:32 AM
yk

Default 93 Saturn SL2 belt noise

My saturn makes a huge noise, probably from one of belts, after starting
engine, especially when the engine is still cool. It lasts for about 100
yards and eventually goes away. What could be the problem? Do I need to
replace belts? If so, which one ? It has automatic transmission and AC
if that matters. TIA.

Old July 17th 05, 04:42 PM
Kevin M. Keller

"yk" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
with:

Do I need to replace belts? If so, which one ?

Yes, you need to replace the belt. There is only one, and it's quite easy
to do.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old July 17th 05, 05:46 PM
Lane

It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common
problem.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old July 17th 05, 10:31 PM
Kevin M. Keller

"Lane" > typed until their fingers bled, and
came up with:

> It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common
> problem.

Or the belt tensioner. those wear out as well.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old July 18th 05, 06:26 AM
yk

"Kevin M. Keller" > wrote in message
> "Lane" > typed until their fingers bled, and
> came up with:
>
> > It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common
> > problem.
> >

> Or the belt tensioner. those wear out as well.

Are they, belt tensioner and idler pullley easy to replace as well ?
Thanks.

Old July 19th 05, 02:03 AM
Fred V.

In my case it was the belt tensioner. Easy to replace
but I needed a offset wrench to get at the nuts to
get it out.

Fred, 94 SC2

Old July 20th 05, 01:13 AM
Kevin M. Keller

"yk" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
with:

> Are they, belt tensioner and idler pullley easy to replace as well ?
> Thanks.

actually, yes. once the belt is off, the idler is 1 bolt, the tensioner is
2 - but they are a bit of a pain to get to.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old July 27th 05, 03:04 AM
yk

It was a tensioner. Replacing it solved the problem. Thanks.