156 - screeching starter motor?

Old August 29th 04, 10:10 AM
fmt

Default 156 - screeching starter motor?

My 2.0 TS has started giving a high pitched screeching noise whenever
I start it...more so from cold, but can be at anytime.
The car always fires up first time, but just as it does so, a screech,
lasting about 1 second, comes from the engine bay.
Any ideas? Is it serious? I bought the car with a warranty, will
this sort of thing be covered?
Thanks
all
Trev
Old August 29th 04, 12:09 PM
Simon Mason

"fmt" > wrote in message
m...
> My 2.0 TS has started giving a high pitched screeching noise whenever
> I start it...more so from cold, but can be at anytime.
> The car always fires up first time, but just as it does so, a screech,
> lasting about 1 second, comes from the engine bay.
> Any ideas? Is it serious? I bought the car with a warranty, will
> this sort of thing be covered?

Mine did the same under warranty, but it's not covered as it's "wear and
tear". You will need to get the starter motor shaft cleaned as the ring is
sticking and not retracting due to the dirt on the shaft. Costs about 40 -
70 quid as it's a pain to get off. Try and see if you can get it done under
warranty, but don't be surprised if you can't.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old August 29th 04, 01:32 PM
Catman

fmt wrote:

> My 2.0 TS has started giving a high pitched screeching noise whenever
> I start it...more so from cold, but can be at anytime.
> The car always fires up first time, but just as it does so, a screech,
> lasting about 1 second, comes from the engine bay.
> Any ideas? Is it serious? I bought the car with a warranty, will
> this sort of thing be covered?

If it's not the starter ring sticking,as suggested, I reckon it couldbe the
alternator drive belt slipping (if it has one) That should be dead simple
to fix.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS (two off)
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 29th 04, 09:02 PM
Ppelectron

>> My 2.0 TS has started giving a high pitched screeching noise whenever
>> I start it...more so from cold, but can be at anytime.
>> The car always fires up first time, but just as it does so, a screech,
>> lasting about 1 second, comes from the engine bay.
>> Any ideas? Is it serious? I bought the car with a warranty, will
>> this sort of thing be covered?

I have the same problem on my 156 V6. I woud agree with the two previous
answers you got. i.e. if the noise is a grating, crunching noise like two gears
not quite engaging, then the starter motor needs to be removed and cleaned up.
If the sound is really a rubber on metal squeal, which can be aggravated by
revving the engine and is possibly worse in wet weather, then check the
auxiliary belt tension. These faults generate quite different noises if you
know what to listen for.
Old September 10th 04, 03:43 PM
Azzy

I have an alfa 156 selespeed which had a similar problem (screeching
starter) but only on cold starting. I booked the car in at Alfa & they
repaired the starter - still didn't sort out the problem. Booked it in
again & they changed the cambelt tensioner & all belts - still didn't sort
out the problem. I instructed them to do as Simon & ppelectron advised
(striping & cleaning) & presto its sorted. All the other work cost approx
$2000. Fortunatley it was time to do the cambelt anyway. The repair &
clean of the starter only cost $100. Thx guys.

Old September 30th 04, 11:06 PM
Martin Livingtone

My 156 V6 starter motor "chirruped" like a bird occasionally when starting.
Took it into the local Alfa dealer who said it was a known problem and
changed it for me under warranty. No probs. The only thing I have had
changed in 95,000 miles.

Martin