grrrr this is driving me insane here

Old May 24th 04, 01:55 PM
chatterx

Default grrrr this is driving me insane here

First off before anyone asks, I am not getting any codes

1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.2 turbo 2 manual 555 tranny

When I am driving and push in the clutch the car will bog down to about 500
rpm sometimes and almost stall, sometimes it will go back up to normal idle
speed sometimes not. or sometimes when I am letting it sit there and idle it
will sometimes drop like that but not as severe. but when it does that when
driving the oil pressure will drop down all the way to nothing. I check my
oil and it seems to be a bit thin, and it has somewhat of a gassy smell, I
checked the oil due to the oil pressure dropping but also the lifters seem
to rattle after driving for a bit

I did some fuel pressure readings and it is 58lbs vacuum unhooked and 46
line hooked up. when i shut the engine off the guage will shoot up to near
60 (line hooked up) and will gradually drop down to zero after about 40
minutes. Car is running 804 injectors which flow 4% over stock injectors I
think.

I hooked up a air fuel gauge to possibly explain the problem and when I push
in the clutch or just let off the gas after boosting when driving the gauge
will show full rich, so I am thinking it is flooding out (isnt it supposed
to be away from rich when decelerating??). When I do give it gas the gauge
will read lean for a second or two and then go to full rich, however when I
just have the foot on the gas enough to keep my current speed it will bounce
back and forth between lean and rich which is what I think it is supposed to
do. When I let it sit there and idle after the car warms up it will also
bounce but sometimes stay in rich for a second then back down to lean for a
second then bounce and repeat which I think this is normal but maybe not.

The car used to run full rich all the time until I unhooked my charcoal
cannister, I found this out when I noticed the cannister was spittiing out
some of the charcoal. So for now I have those lines capped off. after doing
this and changing oil, the gas in the oil problem is not as bad but there is
still a small amoun of gas in the oil which is enough to break down the
viscosity of the oil.

Timing is dead on both cam and ignition timing (set at 12)

My vacuum is at 14 - 16 pounds (I remember reading that vacuum is supposed
to be at 18 during idle). Vacuum lines have all been replaced with silicon
vacuum lines and no leaks can be heard. vacuum lines are hooked up right per
the diagram on my car.

the car is only boosting to 7lbs (should go to 14) but I have a adjustable
wastegate arm which I have not done the fine adjusting yet, but it was
adjusted accordingly to the picture turbos unleashed sent me. If I unhook
the line the car will boost to about 10 - 11.

I noticed the other day the the exhaust was spitting out some black carbon
deposits so I took the cat off to see if it was plugged, nope its pretty
clear, thought maybe this was a part of the problem but nope.

Here is what I have done so far to the motor.

Newly rebuilt about 230 miles ago compression is at 120 120 115 120
new oil pump
new .30 over pistons and new wrist pins
rods resized when arp rod bolts were added
all new bearings (clearances were all well in tolerance)
new timing belt
new cam and lifters
rebuilt turbo via turbos unleashed with lightend shaft option added
Large can wastegate actuator with adjustable arm
Stainless steel lines for the turbo oil and coolant
new 804 injectors added about 2 years ago
Valve job
all new gaskets
new head bolts
K&N air filter
radiator flushed
Intercooler cleaned out ant checked
Head pressure tested
New rotor, cap, wires, and stock champion plugs
Stage 3 ECU (car did all this with stock ecu too)
new starter
New clutch set
new 120 amp alternator
distributor is fairly new (it was on before I go tthe car but it has
remanfactured stamped on it)
new oil pressure sending unit

I would say screw it and sell the thing but I have allot invested in it, and
its just boggling my mind of what the problem can be here, sorry if this
post is a bit long but I figured I would give all info so someone could see
what has been done so far.

I am just at my wits end here about what it could be.

Old May 24th 04, 11:30 PM
JB³

do you have a bad speed sensor or is it unplugged?? this will give your
engine the fast drop below idle if it is not connected when you push the
clutch at speed. but if it does it when you are not moving, well, disregard.

JB

Old May 24th 04, 11:30 PM
JB³

Old May 25th 04, 09:51 AM
chatterx

yes the speedometer works, it had a new speed sensor put in about a year
ago, though.

Old May 25th 04, 09:51 AM
chatterx

Old May 26th 04, 03:23 PM