Caravan Transmission Replacement by DIY??

Old January 29th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Caravan Transmission Replacement by DIY??

OK, here's a real ambiguous question to the group. My third car is a
91 Grand Caravan with 100K miles. It has been meticulously maintained
by me since new. I am a DIY with moderate capability. I have replaced
struts, half axels, ball joints, engine accessories, etc on my own. My
trans needs replacement. Does anyone have any comments for a DIY to
attempt a job like this? $1700 to $2000 is too much for me to shell
out. I can purchase a remanned unit for $600, but will have to install
it on my own. What do you people think? I know, it's a hard question
to answer not knowing my abilities. Has any DIY's attempted this in
their garage?

Old January 29th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

<<<dprkk
Jan 29, 8:44 am
OK, here's a real ambiguous question to the group. My third car is a
91 Grand Caravan with 100K miles. It has been meticulously maintained
by me since new. I am a DIY with moderate capability. I have replaced
struts, half axels, ball joints, engine accessories, etc on my own. My
trans needs replacement. Does anyone have any comments for a DIY to
attempt a job like this? $1700 to $2000 is too much for me to shell
out. I can purchase a remanned unit for $600, but will have to install
it on my own. What do you people think? I know, it's a hard question
to answer not knowing my abilities. Has any DIY's attempted this in
their garage? <<<<<<

The fact that you had to ask makes me lean toward advising against it.
The biggest question is do you have the tools it will take? You will
have to raise and support the front end of the van. You will have to
separately support the engine, because the mounts will have to be taken
off to pull the trans. You will need a jack to lower the trans and
raise the new one. Air tools are a definite plus. Other than the tools
and equipment, it's just simple mechanics.

Old January 29th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Well, let me say how I was going to attack this. I plan to put the
front end up on jackstands. Right now, I'm not sure if this will be
high enough. I did some reading on supporting the engine with chains
tied to a bar which will brace across the top of the engine
compartment. I have a floor jack and I plan to buy a trans lifting
adapter for the floor jack. Hopefully, when the axles are out, there
will be enough room to maneuver. Given that this can be done, will the
trans just slip right out after the bell housing bolts are removed?
And will the new trans slip right in? I guess the big question is
whether or not I'll kill myself from what I described so far. All
comments are appreciated whether you tell me to go ahead and try or say
you're nuts and forget it. Thanks.

Ken

Old January 29th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Seems a bit steep to me.. I just had my trans R+R and rebuilt by a local guy
for $950 nothing broken.. just "wear" parts ..... *however* it is a 3 speed,
he charges $1350 for the 4 speed electronic... I live in Chicago.. I would
think you could get a local shop to R+R a trans for $500 just about
anywhere.. Check around.. not a job you want to do by yourself.. *really*..
unless you have lots of time and patience.

May have to pull it back down to shim the converter.. stuff like that..
really nice to have help.. Some ideas courtesy of TM a regular here..

http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.co...s/project.html <<<- thanks
TED

Old January 29th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

TED,

Thanks for your narrative and your pictures. They were EXCELLENT! I
will definitely print and save for reference. I am probably doing this
for the same reasons you are. This is a hobby for me. My caravan has
more sentimental value than monetary. I live in the Naperville area.
Nobody cracks a hood around here(not even for oil changes). They pay
to have everything done. When I'm working on my car in the driveway, I
always get "looks" like you're not supposed to be doing this over here.
Too bad. I will just take it one step at a time and if it takes me a
few months, who cares. Thanks for boosting my confidence. If you
wouldn't mind a couple questions when I get into this project, please
let me know your email. I can be reached at .

Ken

Old January 29th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

<<<Well, let me say how I was going to attack this. I plan to put the
front end up on jackstands. Right now, I'm not sure if this will be
high enough. I did some reading on supporting the engine with chains
tied to a bar which will brace across the top of the engine
compartment. I have a floor jack and I plan to buy a trans lifting
adapter for the floor jack. Hopefully, when the axles are out, there
will be enough room to maneuver. Given that this can be done, will the

trans just slip right out after the bell housing bolts are removed?
And will the new trans slip right in? I guess the big question is
whether or not I'll kill myself from what I described so far. All
comments are appreciated whether you tell me to go ahead and try or say

you're nuts and forget it. Thanks.

Ken >>>>

Your attack plan is sound. I would skip the trans adaptor for the floor
jack. Never had much luck with them. I'd spend the same money on a 2nd
floor jack. Don't forget to unbolt the torque converter from the
flexplate. Other than that, once the mounts are loose and the
bellhousing loose, it will fall right out. You'll need to pry it
slightly away from the block then drop. Extra hands would be good, if
you know some that are mechanically inclined. You'll probably have to
slide it off the jack once it's on the floor to have enough clearance
to get it out from underneath.

Old January 30th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Ken,

It certainly is a small world ...

I too live in Naperville so can relate to the looks you get from your
neighbors. I am can personally dispel your comment on NOBODY doing oil
changes or cracking a hood open since I have 5 vehicles in the family and
try to do as much as I can on all of them myself. As if the 5 are not
enough, I also just did my nieces front brakes on her Ford and a pair of
starter solenoid contacts on my sisters LHS a few months before that.

I do not have a transmission floor jack, but if you need any tools, send me
email and I'll see what I have around you might need.

Bob

oups.com...

Old January 30th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

As someone who has done this, I can well advise against it. Getting the van
high enough (even with a VERY good floor jack) is nearly impossible. Floor
type trans jacks are difficul;t at best to maneuver (absolutely FORGET using
an adapter), you'll need a cherry picker to support the engine or a bottle
jack, believe me it ain't like working on a good old fashioned RWD vehicle.
Most shope will do an R&R for about $500 and for me it's money WELL spent.
Also you'll need some way to flush the cooling lines and trans cooler, etc.
By the time I was done puting in my Jasper I had spent more than just taking
it to a trans shop. The ONLY advantage I had is while I was that far I did
the ball joints and brakes.
Larry
oups.com...

Old January 30th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Lots of DIY's (Shade-Tree mechanics) complete this job every day. I have
no idea if you will feel comfortable doing it, but get a copy of your
Haynes manual and it should be in there. The general procedure is just
to disconnect all of the linkages, wires, etc from the tranny.. Pull the
half-shafts. You may have to pull the sub-frame, depending on your
vehicle. Remove the inspection plate and remove the bolts that connect
the flywheel to the torque-converter (assuming you have an automatic,
which you probably do). Do one more check to make sure that the
transmission isn't hooked to anything anywhere (except by the
bell-housing bolts to the engine). Get a jack under the transmission (If
you're on a lift, a tranny jack.. If on the shop floor, a floor jack).
If you had to pull the rear engine motor mount, make sure to put a jack
under the engine too. Pull the bellhousing bolts, and yank the
transmission. Don't forget to add the appropriate amount of transmission
fluid to your new one after it is correctly installed but before you try
to drive anywhere.

-Adam

Old January 30th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Here's another link for your perusal.... http://www.turbovan.net/Trans.html

It refers to the older minivans but has a lot of good ideas in it.. be sure
to check the pics of his engine support
http://www.turbovan.net/enginesupport.jpg

This one for a Daytona... (same idea)
http://www.turbovan.net/scottysupport.JPG

Good luck,, take your time .. and GET HELP !!