Seat problem series III MX5

Old January 20th 05, 05:46 PM
Van Duijn

Default Seat problem series III MX5

This is a question for European MX5 owners. I currently own a '98 series II
MX5. I'm tall and the cabin is a tight fit for me. But still, it just fits.
I want to buy a new series III MX5, which has the new high back seats. These
seats must be at least 3 centimeters higher than the seats in my '98. I
absolutley don't fit in the series III. My head creates a definite bump in
the top, and I can't move my legs properly. What a difference with my '98
model! I'm very disappointed. The dealer claims that there is no way to
lower the seats, and advices to have the interior of the seats removed and
replaced by thinner material by a professional upholsterer. But that's
something I'm reluctant to do - what if this doesn't give te desierd
results? Then I'm stuck with a car I don't fit in. is tehre anypone who has
tackled this problem?

Martin van Duijn

(please remove the 123 if you mail me)

Old January 20th 05, 06:22 PM
Domagoj Bagaric

Van Duijn wrote:

> results? Then I'm stuck with a car I don't fit in. is tehre anypone who has
> tackled this problem?

I've bought my mx5 (nb 2001) without even a test drive, so I was a bit
worried about fitting in, so I googled the question. First solution was
to remove some foam from the seat, about 3cm more headroom (people who
did it, didn't complain about comfort). 2nd to remove seat rails and
bolt the seat right down (can't move it later on), but adds some (iirc)
3 or 5cm of more head room. 3rd solution was to buy a new seat, more
sporty, bucket type, it's less comfortable then the oem one, but I guess
that's better than hitting the roof with your head!

check out the pages of people who autocross on www.miataforum.net, there
are some tall dudes with helmet issues, maybe that helps.

if you ever get down to croatia (I was in amsterdam last summer),
contact us @ www.miata.hr, and we'll give you a grand tour

Old January 20th 05, 06:25 PM
Domagoj Bagaric

oops www.miataforum.com that is