Coolant in exhaust 88 Grand Voyager

Old August 27th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default Coolant in exhaust 88 Grand Voyager

I have an 88 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V6. Last summer I
replaced the heads on it, but I had the Distributer off by 1 tooth and
it overheated. I fixed it and it ran fine for 9 months. Then all of
a sudden it has lots of coolant in the exhaust. I put in new head
gaskets but it is doing the exact same thing. I do not see any
exhaust in the coolant, nor do I see any coolant in the oil.

Could it be a cracked or warped head? Would a problem like that come
on all of a sudden?

The body of the van and everything else is in great condition. I
don't want to trash it for something that I may be able to fix
realatively easilly. As you can tell I don't mind tearing into the
engine.

Any ideas?

Old August 27th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have an 88 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V6. Last summer I
> replaced the heads on it, but I had the Distributer off by 1 tooth and
> it overheated. I fixed it and it ran fine for 9 months. Then all of
> a sudden it has lots of coolant in the exhaust. I put in new head
> gaskets but it is doing the exact same thing. I do not see any
> exhaust in the coolant, nor do I see any coolant in the oil.
>
> Could it be a cracked or warped head? Would a problem like that come
> on all of a sudden?
>
> The body of the van and everything else is in great condition. I
> don't want to trash it for something that I may be able to fix
> realatively easilly. As you can tell I don't mind tearing into the
> engine.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes you have a cracked or warped head,(s) Assuming you installed the
headgaskets correctly. Did you by any chance put a straight edge across the
heads before assembly?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 27th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 1:16 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > I have an 88 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V6. Last summer I
> > replaced the heads on it, but I had the Distributer off by 1 tooth and
> > it overheated. I fixed it and it ran fine for 9 months. Then all of
> > a sudden it has lots of coolant in the exhaust. I put in new head
> > gaskets but it is doing the exact same thing. I do not see any
> > exhaust in the coolant, nor do I see any coolant in the oil.

> > Could it be a cracked or warped head? Would a problem like that come
> > on all of a sudden?

> > The body of the van and everything else is in great condition. I
> > don't want to trash it for something that I may be able to fix
> > realatively easilly. As you can tell I don't mind tearing into the
> > engine.

> > Any ideas?

> Yes you have a cracked or warped head,(s) Assuming you installed the
> headgaskets correctly. Did you by any chance put a straight edge across the
> heads before assembly?
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

Alas, no I did not. I'll remember to in the future.

Is there a way I might be able to find out which head? A friend here
at work suggested drilling a small hole in the front exhaust manifold,
which I could tap and plug with a bold to seal afterwards. I could
then smell for coolant in the exhaust from the hole.

-- Paul

Old August 27th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 27, 1:16 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > ups.com...
> >

> > > I have an 88 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V6. Last summer I
> > > replaced the heads on it, but I had the Distributer off by 1 tooth and
> > > it overheated. I fixed it and it ran fine for 9 months. Then all of
> > > a sudden it has lots of coolant in the exhaust. I put in new head
> > > gaskets but it is doing the exact same thing. I do not see any
> > > exhaust in the coolant, nor do I see any coolant in the oil.

> > > Could it be a cracked or warped head? Would a problem like that come
> > > on all of a sudden?

> > > The body of the van and everything else is in great condition. I
> > > don't want to trash it for something that I may be able to fix
> > > realatively easilly. As you can tell I don't mind tearing into the
> > > engine.

> > > Any ideas?

> > Yes you have a cracked or warped head,(s) Assuming you installed the
> > headgaskets correctly. Did you by any chance put a straight edge across

the
> > heads before assembly?
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

> Alas, no I did not. I'll remember to in the future.
>
> Is there a way I might be able to find out which head? A friend here
> at work suggested drilling a small hole in the front exhaust manifold,
> which I could tap and plug with a bold to seal afterwards. I could
> then smell for coolant in the exhaust from the hole.
>
> -- Paul

I hope that friend at work doesn't work on cars for a living!! If you cant
see coolant on the spark plugs you will have to do a cylinder leak test.
Special tools are needed for this. If you are gonna look at the plugs pay
close attention to the middle ones. Number 4 and 5 cylinder

Old August 29th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

pull the head off and send it in and have it checked for cracks

maxpower wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > >
> > > ups.com...

> > > Yes you have a cracked or warped head,(s) Assuming you installed the
> > > headgaskets correctly. Did you by any chance put a straight edge across

> the
> > > heads before assembly?
> > >
> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

> > Alas, no I did not. I'll remember to in the future.
> >
> > Is there a way I might be able to find out which head? A friend here
> > at work suggested drilling a small hole in the front exhaust manifold,
> > which I could tap and plug with a bold to seal afterwards. I could
> > then smell for coolant in the exhaust from the hole.
> >
> > -- Paul
> >

> I hope that friend at work doesn't work on cars for a living!! If you cant
> see coolant on the spark plugs you will have to do a cylinder leak test.
> Special tools are needed for this. If you are gonna look at the plugs pay
> close attention to the middle ones. Number 4 and 5 cylinder

'93 Grand Voyager 3.0L coolant drain plugs SBlackfoot Chrysler 2 November 30th 06 05:45 PM
96 Grand Voyager Dave[_16_] Technology 0 September 19th 06 01:41 PM
97 Grand Voyager R Holloway Dodge 3 February 19th 06 04:48 PM
CHEAP Grand Voyager-Grand Caravan Wanted CaravanGuy Chrysler 2 September 24th 05 01:20 AM
'93 Voyager coolant recovery system problem Walt Chrysler 1 May 2nd 05 12:03 PM