Sebring 2.7 2001

Old June 24th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hennie

Default Sebring 2.7 2001

Hi there,

Has anybody find the solution of the upcoming oil-pressure-light at idling?

Hennie.

Old June 24th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Hennie wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Has anybody find the solution of the upcoming oil-pressure-light at idling?
>
> Hennie.

Yes. 99 times out of 100, it is simply a bad oil pressure switch
turning the light on, but the pressure is actually OK. I won't go into
the details (they have been discussed on here before), but you may or
may not also find that the old switch is dripping oil.

For the 1 chance in 100 that the pressure is actually low, you may want
to pay to have a gage temporarily hooked up to measure the pressure to
make sure it is in spec. Or you can simply replace the pressure switch
and go on your merry way and probably be fine.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 25th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hennie

"Bill Putney" > schreef in bericht
> Hennie wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Has anybody find the solution of the upcoming oil-pressure-light at
>> idling?
>>
>> Hennie.

> Yes. 99 times out of 100, it is simply a bad oil pressure switch turning
> the light on, but the pressure is actually OK. I won't go into the
> details (they have been discussed on here before), but you may or may not
> also find that the old switch is dripping oil.
>
> For the 1 chance in 100 that the pressure is actually low, you may want to
> pay to have a gage temporarily hooked up to measure the pressure to make
> sure it is in spec. Or you can simply replace the pressure switch and go
> on your merry way and probably be fine.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> with the letter 'x')

Thank you Bill, one of these days I gonna replace the pressure switch and I
let you know the result via this NG.

Regards Hennie.

Old July 2nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hennie

"Bill Putney" > schreef in bericht
> Hennie wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Has anybody find the solution of the upcoming oil-pressure-light at
>> idling?
>>
>> Hennie.

> Yes. 99 times out of 100, it is simply a bad oil pressure switch turning
> the light on, but the pressure is actually OK. I won't go into the
> details (they have been discussed on here before), but you may or may not
> also find that the old switch is dripping oil.
>
> For the 1 chance in 100 that the pressure is actually low, you may want to
> pay to have a gage temporarily hooked up to measure the pressure to make
> sure it is in spec. Or you can simply replace the pressure switch and go
> on your merry way and probably be fine.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> with the letter 'x')

Today I replaced the oil pressure swich. It was not a simple job to do. The
switch is hidden behind a metal shield who is hard to remove wih standard
tools. Anyway, the oil pressure light stays off when idling! Thanks again
Bill.

Hennie.

Old July 2nd 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Hennie wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > schreef in bericht
>
>>Hennie wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>Has anybody find the solution of the upcoming oil-pressure-light at
>>>idling?
>>>
>>>Hennie.

>>Yes. 99 times out of 100, it is simply a bad oil pressure switch turning
>>the light on, but the pressure is actually OK. I won't go into the
>>details (they have been discussed on here before), but you may or may not
>>also find that the old switch is dripping oil.
>>
>>For the 1 chance in 100 that the pressure is actually low, you may want to
>>pay to have a gage temporarily hooked up to measure the pressure to make
>>sure it is in spec. Or you can simply replace the pressure switch and go
>>on your merry way and probably be fine.
>>
>>Bill Putney
>>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
>>with the letter 'x')

> Today I replaced the oil pressure swich. It was not a simple job to do. The
> switch is hidden behind a metal shield who is hard to remove wih standard
> tools. Anyway, the oil pressure light stays off when idling! Thanks again
> Bill.
>
> Hennie.

You're welcome - glad to help.

As far as the difficulty - yeah, that is just the way things are with
today's cars - they are so compacted and integrated (for weight,
mileage, performance, and a host of electronics - some useful, some not
so useful - but it's what we the consumer and the gov't demanded of the
automakers) that ain't nothin' simple.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 3rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article >,
Bill Putney > wrote:

> As far as the difficulty - yeah, that is just the way things are with
> today's cars - they are so compacted and integrated (for weight,
> mileage, performance, and a host of electronics - some useful, some not
> so useful - but it's what we the consumer and the gov't demanded of the
> automakers) that ain't nothin' simple.

A difficult to replace oil pressure switch is not the result of design
complexity. It's simply lack of attention to ease of maintenance,
probably driven by lowering manufacturing costs regardless of later
maintenance costs.
Old July 3rd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

who wrote:
> In article >,
> Bill Putney > wrote:
>

>>As far as the difficulty - yeah, that is just the way things are with
>>today's cars - they are so compacted and integrated (for weight,
>>mileage, performance, and a host of electronics - some useful, some not
>>so useful - but it's what we the consumer and the gov't demanded of the
>>automakers) that ain't nothin' simple.

> A difficult to replace oil pressure switch is not the result of design
> complexity. It's simply lack of attention to ease of maintenance,
> probably driven by lowering manufacturing costs regardless of later
> maintenance costs.

I disagree. His diffucilty was due to things being very crowded - the
proverbial 10 pounds of stuff (sensors, modules, wiring, pipig, hoses,
etc., etc., etc.) being forced into a 5 pound bag (shape and size
envelope). The pressure switch had to go where it was because of the
existing engine design. If you routed the switch to another location
(piping), then you would simply have compounded the problem (weight,
volume, complexity, cost). If things weren't so tight space-wise,
perhaps the shield would not have needed to be removed, or perhaps could
have been deleted entirely. Stick that switch any place else, and
chances are there would already be another thing (or two) in that place
that would have to be relocated. It snowballs.

Bottom line: In any design, everything is a compromise. With things so
tight, you can't fix one problem without making three others a lot
worse. With things being jammed so tight, maintenance considerations
have to take a back seat. Size, weight, power, fuel economy, initial
cost, ease and cost of maintenance *cannot* all be 9's or 10's.
Priorities are set - on any given vehicle, some aspects are a 3 so that
others can be maybe 6 or 7. Start pushing any one aspect to an 8 or
higher, and something has to give (in the opposite direction).

Add even more stuff at the factory (full blown workstation computers,
refrigerant loops in the seat cushion, and other crap that are being
added to cars now), and all the numbers across the board will drop
incrementally, and we'll keep wondering why a "simple" repair costs $500
or takes 3 trips to the dealer to be properly diagnosed.

But we've done it to ourselves.

Did I mention that this is one of my hot buttons?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 3rd 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bill Putney wrote:

> Add even more stuff at the factory (full blown workstation computers,
> refrigerant loops in the seat cushion, and other crap that are being
> added to cars now), and all the numbers across the board will drop
> incrementally, and we'll keep wondering why a "simple" repair costs $500
> or takes 3 trips to the dealer to be properly diagnosed.
>
> But we've done it to ourselves.
>
> Did I mention that this is one of my hot buttons?

You and me both. I get into arguments here all the time with people who
like to claim that modern cars are "so much more reliable" than older
cars.... but my 13 year old car is already getting almost
un-maintainable because of parts going out of production, semiconductor
obsolesence, etc. whereas parts for my FORTY ONE year old car are still
readily available. And cheap, too! So what if a modern engine can last
half a million miles? The automated butt-scratching accessories and the
cheap plastics all over the car will fall to bits around it in 10 years
even if it only has 50,000 miles on it by then. I doubt any car made
after 1990 will be maintainable when its over 40 years old.
Old July 4th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

my 72 cuda is full of plastic that is just fine

Old July 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

philthy wrote:

> my 72 cuda is full of plastic that is just fine

So is my '73, actually. The '66 has NO plastic, the 69 R/T has some, and
the 73 Satellite is all plastic as is the 93 Eagle. But its kinda funny-
they can now make the dashboard vinyl last a lot longer than the old
dashes did, but all the hard plastics in modern cars get brittle as
potato chips after 10 years or so. My 73 has one big dashboard crack,
but all the hard plastic is perfect. The 93 on the other hand has a
perfect dash, but every AC vent is falling apart, the cupholder is
cracked, and all the hard panels and trim around the door handles are
breaking apart.