Timing belt - mileage vs time

Old July 16th 05, 02:55 PM
TomP

Well Peabody, I'd say if Mr.Earl will pay for the collateral damage, to
the engine, if the timing belt does break before 90k. Then I'd say
let-R-run and see who's right.
Thermal (heat) cycles and proper tension also factor in on the equation
of "when to replace the t/belt."

For the record, I replaced the T/Belt on my '90 Integra 3 years ago; it
only had 68k miles. The belt didn't look particularly distressed; but
at 12 years old the car is hardly worth what it would take to
rehabilitate the engine/head if the T/Belt did break...

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old July 17th 05, 05:46 AM
slim

Sparky Spartacus wrote:

> slim wrote:
>

> > Elle wrote:
> >
> >>"Peabody" > wrote
> >>E wrote

> >>My 91 Civic's first brake pads wore to the warning tabs after 43k miles.

> > The Scumbags at Paragon Honda in LIC told me at 12K that "they had to"
> > replace my pads to keep my warranty intact.

> I hope you reported them to Honda.

"Each dealership is independently owned and operated and the
repair fell into accepted standards."

Just like when the SCUMBAGS tell you they HAVE to charge
you four hours labor for a two hour job.

They HAVE to. The Honda book says so.

--------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...now-usat_x.htm

"Other top officials, including Cheney and Rumsfeld, said the war would
last
"weeks, not months.""

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/ar...05/052705w.php

"More than two years into a war that was supposed to be quick and easy,
and
the justification for which has spun from removing a dictator to
eliminating
weapons of mass destruction to fighting terrorism and, finally, to
planting
democracy that would then spread across the Middle East, Iraq is in chaos."

RayGun sends his lackey to kiss Saddam's ass.
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.quantumphilosophy.net/fil...yan_Medium.mov
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
Old July 17th 05, 06:24 AM
Sparky Spartacus

slim wrote:

> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
>
>>slim wrote:

>>>The Scumbags at Paragon Honda in LIC told me at 12K that "they had to"
>>>replace my pads to keep my warranty intact.

>>I hope you reported them to Honda.

> "Each dealership is independently owned and operated

True, but a Honda dealership is a license to print money and Honda
probably cares about how the public regards it. Dealers cannot afford to
jeopardize their relationship with Honda.

> and the repair fell into accepted standards."

Which standards are those? If the pads weren't worn to their service
life, this was fraud, along with false claim about being required to
keep the "warranty intact".

If it were me, I'd report them to Honda (plus the BBB & the state agency
which deals with this sort of thing) and see what Honda had to say,
after telling the dealer to get stuffed. Be sure to note which service
adviser told you this.
Old July 17th 05, 02:40 PM
Steve Bigelow

"slim" > wrote in message
> Just like when the SCUMBAGS tell you they HAVE to charge
> you four hours labor for a two hour job.

If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that six
hour charge?
If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the proper
tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
Because he's better?

Same result, same charge.

Old July 17th 05, 05:22 PM
Abeness

Steve Bigelow wrote:
> If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that six
> hour charge?
> If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the proper
> tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
> Because he's better?
>
> Same result, same charge.

Sure with one of the publishers I work for felt this way... will NEVER
happen!
Old July 18th 05, 01:52 AM
slim

Steve Bigelow wrote:

> "slim" > wrote in message
> > Just like when the SCUMBAGS tell you they HAVE to charge
> > you four hours labor for a two hour job.

> If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that six
> hour charge?

Nice attempt at a strawman.

> If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the proper
> tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
> Because he's better?
>
> Same result, same charge.

Not true.

The Scumbag says he "has" to charge $675 for a belt/pump job.

Most mechanics around me will do the job for $400-475.

--------------------

Old July 18th 05, 02:21 AM
Steve Bigelow

"slim" > wrote in message

> Steve Bigelow wrote:
>>
>> "slim" > wrote in message
>> > Just like when the SCUMBAGS tell you they HAVE to charge
>> > you four hours labor for a two hour job.

>> If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that
>> six
>> hour charge?

> Nice attempt at a strawman.

Thanks! Enjoyed your rebuttal as well!

>> If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the
>> proper
>> tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
>> Because he's better?
>>
>> Same result, same charge.

> Not true.

Ok, so what's the difference between the two jobs above?

> The Scumbag says he "has" to charge $675 for a belt/pump job.
>
> Most mechanics around me will do the job for $400-475.

So what's the problem? Didn't shop around?

Old July 18th 05, 03:58 AM
SoCalMike

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >, slim >
> wrote:
>

>>>If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that six
>>>hour charge?

>>Nice attempt at a strawman.

> no, it's the truth.

book rate is book rate. obviously it can be fudged by a "nice"
independant. thats why good, quick ASE certified mechanics can make good
money- by doing more work.

FWIW, when i got the engine on my rabbit convertible replaced years ago,
i had to upsell the independant mechanic by ASKING him to do the CV joints.
Old July 18th 05, 07:45 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Steve Bigelow wrote:
> "slim" > wrote in message
>
>>Just like when the SCUMBAGS tell you they HAVE to charge
>>you four hours labor for a two hour job.

> If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that six
> hour charge?
> If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the proper
> tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
> Because he's better?
>
> Same result, same charge.

Three words, Steve: flat rate manual

It won't take the new mechanic 6 hours to do a job the FRM rates at 4 hours.
Old July 18th 05, 11:15 AM
Steve Bigelow

"Sparky Spartacus" > wrote in message
> Steve Bigelow wrote:
>> "slim" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Just like when the SCUMBAGS tell you they HAVE to charge
>>>you four hours labor for a two hour job.

>> If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that
>> six hour charge?
>> If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the
>> proper tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
>> Because he's better?
>>
>> Same result, same charge.

> Three words, Steve: flat rate manual
>
> It won't take the new mechanic 6 hours to do a job the FRM rates at 4
> hours.

*sigh*

Never mind.