The "500" In GT500 means 500 Horsepower

Old May 4th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default The "500" In GT500 means 500 Horsepower

2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

Ford Shelby GT500 officially rated at 500 horsepower, 25 horsepower
higher than preliminary estimates. The Shelby GT500 will go on sale
this summer with more horsepower than any previous factory-built
Mustang.

(DEARBORN, MI) TheGT500Source.com - The most powerful factory-built
Mustang ever just got even more potent. Final certification testing of
the Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce
500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque - 25 more horsepower than
preliminary estimates.

"With 500 hp and the Shelby name, this car is an instant legend,"
said Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation & SVT programs.
"This is the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever."

The Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a
result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10
engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type"
supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows
the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford
GT engine.

The 500 hp rating was obtained using the Society of Automotive
Engineer's latest standard and was witnessed by an objective third
party. The Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 will be built at
Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. Pricing will be announced
closer to launch.

The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 was auctioned
for $600,000, with the proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby
Children's Foundation. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 goes on sale this
summer.

Technical Specifications
Type
V-8
Manufacturing location
Romeo, Michigan
Configuration
Iron Block and Aluminum Heads
Intake manifold
Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler
Exhaust manifold
Cast iron
Crankshaft
Forged steel
Throttle Body
Dual 60 mm, electronic
Valvetrain
DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Valve diameter
Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm
Pistons
Forged aluminum
Connecting Rods
Cracked forged steel I-beams
Ignition
Coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke
3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm
Displacement
330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc
Horsepower
500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)
Torque
480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)
Compression ratio
8.4:1
Redline
6,250 rpm
Idle Speed in Neutral
750 rpm
Engine control system
Spanish Oak PCM
Required fuel
Premium
Fuel Injection
Electronic returnless sequential
Oil capacity / type
6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Coolant capacity
21 quarts
Peak Boost
9 psi

Patrick

Old May 4th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> Coil-on-plug
> Bore x stroke
> 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm
> Displacement
> 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc
> Horsepower
> 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)
> Torque
> 480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)
> Compression ratio
> 8.4:1
> Redline
> 6,250 rpm
> Idle Speed in Neutral
> 750 rpm
> Engine control system
> Spanish Oak PCM
> Required fuel
> Premium
> Fuel Injection
> Electronic returnless sequential
> Oil capacity / type
> 6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Can you please post a link with the article? Thanks!

Nick

Old May 4th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=249

Old May 4th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> 2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.

If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like 492,
rounded up to 500.

)

Old May 4th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

dwight wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > 2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

> Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.

> If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like 492,
> rounded up to 500.

Only the 5.0s dispalcement was rounded up. It's horsepower was spot
on, and in the early cars -- '87-'88s -- it was under-rated a bit.

Patrick

Old May 4th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"dwight" > wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > 2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

> Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.
>
> If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like 492,
> rounded up to 500.

Hopefully, more like the '03-'04 Cobras, the horsepower is probably more like
525, rounded *down* to 500.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt.

Old May 4th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> dwight wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > 2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER

>> Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.

>> If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like
>> 492,
>> rounded up to 500.

> Only the 5.0s dispalcement was rounded up. It's horsepower was spot
> on, and in the early cars -- '87-'88s -- it was under-rated a bit.
>
> Patrick

Yeah, I know. It wasn't exactly an apples-to-apples allegory, but the best I
could come up with. Without any effort.

And today, I'm embarrassed to tell anyone that my 5.0 is rated at 205HP.
205! In today's market, that's not exactly bragging material, so why is my
poor old 5.0 Mustang still seemingly the benchmark for performance?

Now, seems like every yahoo with a new six-cylinder family car (most rated
at much more than 205HP) wants to take on the big, bad 5.0.

dwight

Old May 5th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"dwight" > wrote in message
news
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>> oups.com...

>>> Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.

>>> If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like
>>> 492,
>>> rounded up to 500.

>> Only the 5.0s dispalcement was rounded up. It's horsepower was spot
>> on, and in the early cars -- '87-'88s -- it was under-rated a bit.
>>
>> Patrick

> Yeah, I know. It wasn't exactly an apples-to-apples allegory, but the best
> I could come up with. Without any effort.
>
> And today, I'm embarrassed to tell anyone that my 5.0 is rated at 205HP.
> 205! In today's market, that's not exactly bragging material, so why is my
> poor old 5.0 Mustang still seemingly the benchmark for performance?
>
> Now, seems like every yahoo with a new six-cylinder family car (most rated
> at much more than 205HP) wants to take on the big, bad 5.0.
>
> dwight

Just remember a few facts. After the Mustang started the new Pony war with
the hp in the 80's (82-87 increased hp nearly every year), car insurance
companies could have made these cars unattainable if Ford continued to
increase hp at the rate it was going hence the 87-93 no significant
improvements other then the addition of the Cobra in that last year. Ford
and the aftermarket suppliers provided enough punch to the enthusiasts
making it a successful tuner car. It took sometime for manufacturers to
obtain similar hp ratings in mainstream family automobiles as you suggested.
In fact Ford may have some credit in that area as well with the Taurus SHO.
Another noteable detail the 4cyl turbo SVO motor made more hp liter then
many of todays vehicles. That lil '85.5 2.3L produced 205hp (89hp per liter)
compare to the '03 4.6L Cobra s/c at 390hp (84.78hp per liter). Comparably
that 2.3l with same displacement would be rated at 410hp!

Old May 5th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

dwight wrote:

> >> oups.com...

> >> Odd that it's rated at exactly 500hp.

> >> If it's like the old 5.0 Mustangs, the horsepower is probably more like
> >> 492,
> >> rounded up to 500.

> > Only the 5.0s dispalcement was rounded up. It's horsepower was spot
> > on, and in the early cars -- '87-'88s -- it was under-rated a bit.

> Yeah, I know. It wasn't exactly an apples-to-apples allegory, but the best I
> could come up with. Without any effort.

> And today, I'm embarrassed to tell anyone that my 5.0 is rated at 205HP.
> 205! In today's market, that's not exactly bragging material, so why is my
> poor old 5.0 Mustang still seemingly the benchmark for performance?

Because it's a legend. ;-)

> Now, seems like every yahoo with a new six-cylinder family car (most rated
> at much more than 205HP) wants to take on the big, bad 5.0.

The bad thing is many are nearly as strong. We need to do something
(add some HP) soon!

Patrick