suzuki sidekick

Old June 27th 05, 04:52 AM
geoman

Default suzuki sidekick

replaced head gasket & timing belt. After I removed the head & re-torqued
the head bolts & relaced timimg belt, lined up timing marks on both gears,
I tried to re-set valve lash, book says to use feeler gauge between valve
stem & rocker adjusting screw, but a feeler gauge will not fit under
rocker. Can I use feeler gauge between rocker & cam ?? 1993 Suzuki
Sidekick, 1.6L, 16 valve

Old June 27th 05, 05:42 AM
geoman

after i had all parts replace, engine would turn over, but not start, so
I'm thinking I need to re-gauge the valve lash. Maybe I need a Suzuki
special tools??

Old June 27th 05, 02:04 PM
geoman

thanks Ted. I checked the timing belt, I lined up marks on both the cam
gear & crank gear, installed the belt ( rotor on #1 cyl), turned
crankshaft 2 full turns, marks were still lined up?? pulled a plug wire,
no spark to speak of. Guess I will re-adjust the belt again, thanks -

Old June 27th 05, 07:01 PM
geoman

any help appreciated- this suzuki is getting the best of me. re-checked the
timing belt, all marks line up. car turns over but will not start. sounds
as if it isn't getting a spark. it started ok before I replaced head
gasket & timing belt?? where did I go wrong???

Old June 27th 05, 08:57 PM
Comboverfish

geoman wrote:
> thanks Ted. I checked the timing belt, I lined up marks on both the cam
> gear & crank gear, installed the belt ( rotor on #1 cyl), turned
> crankshaft 2 full turns, marks were still lined up?? pulled a plug wire,
> no spark to speak of. Guess I will re-adjust the belt again, thanks -

Are you certain that you don't have any spark during cranking? If so,
is the distributor rotor turning? Are the distributor and coil
connectors on properly? Are there any loose ground wires that were
removed during cylinder head replacement?

Toyota MDT in MO

Old June 28th 05, 04:14 AM
geoman

dist wires & coil wire in place, rotor turns, will double check fore ground
wires, but was sure I connected all , there is no spark @ plug when turning
engine over, a small spark when i quit cranking engine. thanks

Old June 28th 05, 09:13 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"geoman" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> dist wires & coil wire in place, rotor turns, will double check fore

ground
> wires, but was sure I connected all , there is no spark @ plug when

turning
> engine over, a small spark when i quit cranking engine. thanks

Any chance the distributor and rotor is 180 degrees out of phase?

Ted

Old June 28th 05, 02:37 PM
geoman

distributor was never removed from head

Old June 28th 05, 02:40 PM
geoman

haven't tried a plug in the coil wire, but will. next I'm goin to test the
coil with my ohm meter to see if it is ok. last resort, I will pull it to
a shop with a machine & have them put it on a tester.

Old June 28th 05, 05:09 PM
geoman

did the plug in the coil wire, there is spark.
Best guess is either the timing belt or the valve adjustment, have ck'd &
re-ck'd timing belt alignment, all marks line up. Will re-ck valve lash
settings next. Baffles me that it turns over fine, will not fire?