Advice needed on "hobby" body work

Old April 7th 05, 06:48 PM

Default Advice needed on "hobby" body work

Hello -

I've got a car that's about 15 years old and has your typical rust
spots around the edges of the quarter panels, fenders, and doors. The
rust has eaten away a few inches of the doors as well.

As a project, I'd like to attempt a "home" restoration of this thing.
I'm not looking for a perfect job, just the "best" that can be had from
a DIY project with a few dollars and hours. I don't have any
experience doing this, so it will be a learning project. Anything
looks better than rust.

Can anyone recommend the tools I will need for this? Will bondo work?
How about Rust Doctor (www.rustdoctor.com)? Are there any recommended
body kits for doing this yourself?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

RB

Old April 8th 05, 10:17 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello -
>
> I've got a car that's about 15 years old and has your typical rust
> spots around the edges of the quarter panels, fenders, and doors. The
> rust has eaten away a few inches of the doors as well.
>
> As a project, I'd like to attempt a "home" restoration of this thing.
> I'm not looking for a perfect job, just the "best" that can be had from
> a DIY project with a few dollars and hours. I don't have any
> experience doing this, so it will be a learning project. Anything
> looks better than rust.
>
> Can anyone recommend the tools I will need for this? Will bondo work?
> How about Rust Doctor (www.rustdoctor.com)? Are there any recommended
> body kits for doing this yourself?

None of this will work because the rust has got behind the body work and is
eating from inside out.

For a cheap-ass fix, wire brush away the surface rust, use rustdoctor, then
bondo, then sand then paint. Repeat in 3 months;

Ted

Old April 19th 05, 05:09 AM

Ted -

Thanks for the info.

RB

Old April 19th 05, 05:32 AM
JazzMan

> Hello -
>
> I've got a car that's about 15 years old and has your typical rust
> spots around the edges of the quarter panels, fenders, and doors. The
> rust has eaten away a few inches of the doors as well.
>
> As a project, I'd like to attempt a "home" restoration of this thing.
> I'm not looking for a perfect job, just the "best" that can be had from
> a DIY project with a few dollars and hours. I don't have any
> experience doing this, so it will be a learning project. Anything
> looks better than rust.
>
> Can anyone recommend the tools I will need for this? Will bondo work?
> How about Rust Doctor (
www.rustdoctor.com)? Are there any recommended
> body kits for doing this yourself?
>
> Any advice would be very appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> RB

If you have areas that are completely rusted through then
you'll need to do some serious fiberglassing as well as the
normal run of the mill body work. The idea is to remove all
rust down to shiney metal, as well as remove paint around
the damage to shiney metal in order to provide a clean surface
for the fiberglass and body filler to bond.

BTW, http://www.autobodytoolmart has really good prices and
quick service, highly recommended.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.