When is it worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle?

Old March 19th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
trailer

Default When is it worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle?

Keep in mind that if you don't use the warranty, it might be refundable.
Never used this though.
> wrote in message
Is it ever worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle
that is relatively reliable (toyota, honda, etc.)?

Old March 19th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Piso Mojado

"trailer" > wrote in message
> Keep in mind that if you don't use the warranty, it might be refundable.
> Never used this though.
> > wrote in message
> Is it ever worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle
> that is relatively reliable (toyota, honda, etc.)?

I actually did that about 15 years ago at a Honda dealer in Atlanta. I ended
up selling the car after about 2-3 years (it was too small for a growing
family) and the dealer gave me a full refund.

I have purchased several cars from them since-- and sent friends and
neighbors. Best $700 they ever spent!

Old March 19th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Tomes[_2_]

> Is it ever worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle
> that is relatively reliable (toyota, honda, etc.)?

The way I see it, buying an extended warranty is betting that you made a
poor decision on the reliability of the vehicle.
Tomes <-- who does not buy these things and has come out ahead as a result

Old March 19th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
[email protected]

In rec.autos.makers.honda trailer > wrote:
> Keep in mind that if you don't use the warranty, it might be refundable.

I bought a Honda extended warranty because it was refundable.
The catch is that it is refunded after the expiration in years, not miles,
and only to the original owner, so they probably don't pay out very often.

I figured the real cost of the warranty was the interest on $1320 for 7
years.

Then I had a $200 repair that would be covered under the warranty. darn.
I paid for that, to keep the refund alive.

Old March 20th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O

> wrote in message
> Is it ever worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle
> that is relatively reliable (toyota, honda, etc.)?

It is rarely worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle. Put
the cost of the extended warranty into a separate bank account and draw from
it for repairs to the car if necessary.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old March 20th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O

"mrsteveo" > wrote in message
On Mar 18, 9:40 pm, wrote:
> Is it ever worth purchasing an extended warranty on a used vehicle
> that is relatively reliable (toyota, honda, etc.)?

I bought my 'Toyota Certified Used Vehicle' from Lithia Toyota in
Medford, Oregon. I also (first car buying experience, give me a
break..) was conned, er, talked into buying the 'extended warranty'
offered by Lithia.

Like a moron -- I bought it.

Since I drove a lot -- and it was a miles/years thing -- I went past
the piles in a pretty short amount of time. That was $2k down the
drain pretty fast.

The few issues I did have with the car, I caused myself by using way
to much injector cleaning thinking I was doing a good thing when I
wasn't. Also, since Lithia seems to employ morons in the service
department, it took them '10 hours' to diagnose and thankfully, that
10 hours x 95.00/hr was covered under the warranty and the replacement
of the cracked/dirty injector was as well. They told me that I should
feel thankful I had the warranty because had I not, I guess they
really thought I would have paid $1000 just to DIAGNOSE a bad
injector. Ray O can chime in but that just seems absurd....

In an ideal world, a dealer wouldn't possibly think $1000 to diagnose
a vehicle is sane -- but Lithia can and does.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it. I wish I hadn't purchased it on
mine.

(2002 Toyota Corolla, CE purchased with 62,000 miles -- 144k strong
today!)

**************
The problems you encountered is one of the reasons I tell people to lay off
the injector cleaner there is a drivability problem that might be caused by
dirty injectors.

What kind of symptoms did you experience?

And yes, 10 hours diagnosis time seems ridiculous. Since flat rate time
includes diagnosis and testing, they should have only charged you for the
flat rate time to diagnose and change the injectors.

Flat rate time is a double-edged sword. A shop may come out ahead with the
majority of the vehicles they work on, but they should eat the extra labor
in those few cases where they can't beat the flat rate time. If they want
to charge extra when they can't beat flat rate, then a fair shop should give
a credit or discount if they do beat flat rate time.

Old March 20th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Ray O

"mrsteveo" > wrote in message
<snipped>

Lithia told me the ECU was thousands if it went bad. That convinced
me it might be worth it.

I've found ones for my 1ZZFE automatic for $50 on eBay that claim
they've been tested and work fine.

*******
New ECU's do cost thousands if they go bad, but they rarely go bad. I think
the failure rate is something like 1 or 2 per million vehicles. The
replacement rate on ECU's is much higher because the technicians can't find
something else wrong.

Old March 20th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:34:50 -0500, Ray O <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

>"mrsteveo" > wrote in message
><snipped>

>Lithia told me the ECU was thousands if it went bad. That convinced
>me it might be worth it.

>I've found ones for my 1ZZFE automatic for $50 on eBay that claim
>they've been tested and work fine.

>*******
>New ECU's do cost thousands if they go bad, but they rarely go bad. I think
>the failure rate is something like 1 or 2 per million vehicles. The
>replacement rate on ECU's is much higher because the technicians can't find
>something else wrong.

I once had an ignition problem that I thought was due to a bad output
transister on an acura integra ECU. I had tested the coil and replaced the
ignitor. I pulled ECU and removed its cover and sat in awe at
the quality of it's construction. I decided to look elsewhere and the problem
turned out to be the coil that ohmed out as perfect. An O'Scope on the signal
from ECU to Ignitor showed a good signal.
Old March 20th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Jeff[_3_]

trailer wrote:
> If the vehicle has a lot of bells and whistles it might be worth
> considering an extended warranty.

Probably not worth the cost. The vast majority of these insurance
policies (they're really not warranties, but insurance policies)

> My last car was a Ford and the warranty just about paid for itself in
> repairs.

Possibly. However, if the repairs that were covered by a TSB, the
repairs might have been done free or at a reduced cost. Plus, you might
have had the repairs done more cheaply by a private garage.

> I just purchased a Honda with Navigation and a few other options. I did get
> the extended warranty, but I debate every day if it was worth the extra cost
> because of Honda reliability.
>
> However, the 99 Accord I had purchased used had the ECM fail and the
> warranty paid for it.
>
> Consumer Reports usually votes against them.

That because the people who sell the insurance pay out so little on
them. The vast majority of the money that you pay is for profit for the
dealer and profit for the insurance company that sells the warranty.
Plus, if your car gets wrecked, the insurance is lost.

These insurance plans are usually a waste of money.

Jeff

Old March 22nd 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Art[_1_]

I purchased a Honda 8 year 120k extended warranty with zero deductible for
my 2006 Odyssey. It cost about a grand. For one thing the van has a ton of
bells and whistles. For the other, it is likely that I will sell it in year
7 and being able to sell it with a 1 year warranty should make it very easy
to sell privately.

. ..