90 spirit won't run

Old December 1st 04, 04:42 AM
Faulguys

Alright - here's an update. We checked the resistance to the ECM from the
speed sensor, TPS, AIS, and fuel injector cap. The only thing with a
noticeable resistance was the ground from the fuel injector cap, which read
between 9 and 10 ohms. I was able to keep the car idling using starting fluid.
While it was idling, the hot wire going to the fuel injector cap was reading a
steady 14V.
From this info, I have a few questions.
1. I assume I should replace the ground wire from the fuel injector cap - 9
ohms is way too high.
2. Is the 14V for the injector cap within reason?
3. Is there anything else it could be besides the fuel pressure or the
injector itself? I'm checking to see if I can get my hands on a fuel pressure
guage tonight.
Thanks,
Wes
Old December 7th 04, 09:30 PM
Wes Faul

Alright - I took a look at it again last night. Fuel Pressure was reading a
steady ~14 PSI which should be fine (14.5 is what the manual said). I
looked down the throttle body while my brother cranked it over last night
and I think I found the problem. Fuel is injected when it's cranking and
when you first step on the gas pedal. It does NOT continue to inject when
it idles or while you hold the gas down. I don't have an oscilloscope, but
my multimeter showed a constant 14V at the fuel injector, so it should be
injecting fuel. I called the local dodge dealer, and the technician said it
sounded like the fuel pressure regulator. I guess I'll replace that tonight
and see if that fixes it.
Any other suggestions on what it could be?
Thanks,
Wes

Old December 7th 04, 09:30 PM
Wes Faul

Old December 7th 04, 09:37 PM
Wes Faul

Is there a way to test the fuel pressure regulator? When I tested the fuel
pressure, I pinched off the return line, and the pressure (on the intake)
did increase.
Wes

Old December 7th 04, 09:37 PM
Wes Faul

Old December 7th 04, 10:10 PM
maxpower

ok first of all you only have 3 seconds of spark and fuel, if the engine
does not start within that time frame it shuts both off untill restarted
again,second, if you push on the gas pedal while cranking the engine, this
could cut the fuel off if you pump it., it sounds as if you have fuel
pressure and the regulator is doing its job properly.If you see fuel
spraying as you crank it and it does not start you have some other problem,
if you have spark and fuel, you need to check the timing belt for proper
settings, If you e mail me back i wont get your message for awhile, i just
read the ones you sent me a few days ago, post here and i will try to help
you out, o yes, if you keep trying to start the engine, the injectors spray
fuel in the cylinders, this could also cause a flooded condition and make
the engine a no start

Old December 7th 04, 10:10 PM
maxpower

Old December 7th 04, 10:21 PM
Wes Faul

The car starts, but immediately dies if I don't keep pumping the gas. I
noticed something else last night. The engine seems to bog down for a
fraction of a second when the gas is first injected. If I remember
correctly, it didn't accelerate until the gas was no longer being injected.
Then it dies if I don't pump the gas again. No dark smoke like it's too
rich.
Thanks
Wes