MFFY Parking

Old January 6th 05, 10:42 PM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Absolutely. I have never "accidentally" banged another vehicle's door,
> just as I have never "accidentally" shot somebody. Reasonable people
> take appropriate safety precautions to prevent such things from
> happening.

I've accidentally had my door touch the door of a neighboring car.
However, because of the precautions I take, there has never been and
damage.

Old January 7th 05, 12:24 AM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:29:29 -0500, "C. E. White"
> wrote:
>
>>I would never intentionally bang someone elses door.
>>However, accidents do happen (as my doors show). However,
>>taking up two desirable spaces in a busy lot is not
>>justifiable. If you take up two spaces out in the booneies,
>>I could care less.

> That means you care.
>
>>If you take up two good spaces, you are
>>likely to get abused.

> Even if you take up two non-prime spaces, you're going to attract
> abuse. There are people out there who, for whatever reason, resent
> people who have nicer things than they do. Wen they see your car
> parked in multiple spaces to avoid door dings, they immediately assume
> that you care about the car and would be really upset if anything
> happened to it. These vermin will make a special effort to target
> these vehicles. Then there are the people who think that taking
> multiple spaces is just plain obnoxious, and will vandalize the
> vehicle for that reason.
>
> There are ways to reduce the chances of damage to your car without
> parking obnoxiously and drawing attention to your vehicle.
>
> * Parking in the boonies helps avoid accidental damage, as all the
> soccer moms like to park close to the mall entrance to minimize the
> distance they have to walk with their toddlers.
>
> * Parking in an end space automatically reduces your remaining risk by
> 50%, since only one car can park next to you.
>
> * Parking in a space on the RIGHT end of the row, such that any
> vehicle which parks next to you can only park on your left, reduces
> your risk even further, since the vast majority of cars on the road
> contain only one occupant (the driver), and that occupant will exit
> the vehicle on the side away from your car. A dead giveaway is when
> the passenger's seat is covered in papers, old McDonald's wrappers,
> and other junk; that's a sure sign there is no front-seat passenger in
> that car on that trip.
>
> * Always park in a high-traffic area; the row of spaces right near the
> entry driveway is ideal. Although they fit some of the other criteria,
> try to avoid the lonely spaces out in the South 40, where thieves and
> vandals can have their way with your car unobserved. Parking where
> there are a lot of people constantly passing by will give the bad guys
> pause.

This one conflicts with the "park out in the boonies" you cite earlier.

Some models of autos are targets for theft/burglary just because of their
parts,like Integra ECUs and Toyo headlights.Being in a high traffic area
also does not always work;my GSR had its driver's window smashed when it
was parked right in front(~10 feet) of a sports
bar/restaurant,daylight,with people on a patio only 20 ft away.Of course,no
one saw anything,even with the car alarm blaring for two minutes.

I no longer park near the entrances of establishments serving alcohol. ;-}

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 7th 05, 12:24 AM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

Old January 7th 05, 02:32 AM
Arif Khokar

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> I wish I'd taken a picture of where this guy parked the night before;
> he managed to take up SIX parking spaces to protect his POS Chrysler.

If only you could convince him that the "best" place to park his car was
beside the dumpster on trash pickup day ...
Old January 7th 05, 02:32 AM
Arif Khokar

Old January 7th 05, 04:16 AM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On 7 Jan 2005 00:24:28 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>
>>> * Always park in a high-traffic area; the row of spaces right near
>>> the entry driveway is ideal. Although they fit some of the other
>>> criteria, try to avoid the lonely spaces out in the South 40, where
>>> thieves and vandals can have their way with your car unobserved.
>>> Parking where there are a lot of people constantly passing by will
>>> give the bad guys pause.

>>This one conflicts with the "park out in the boonies" you cite
>>earlier.

> Not at all.
>
> Generally speaking, the least-desirable spaces (at least to soccer
> moms) are those out by the street, because they are farthest awa from
> the mall entrances. However, when cars are coming into the mall, where
> do they come from? The street. And when they leave, where do they go?
> The street. So when you park next to the street, you have a continual
> flow of vehicles coming and going from the mall, as well as vehicles
> just driving past. Lots of eyes to make the bad guys nervous.

Not really.Most of that traffic is not even paying attention to their
driving,and they would not stop or call police if they saw someone messing
with a vehicle. How are they to know if it's a criminal or the owner? Why
would they get involved? It would only delay them and waste their time.
I've heard that some tow truck owners go and tow off cars with the alarms
screeching in broad daylight,taking them to chop shops. It only takes them
a couple of minutes to hook up.
Mall parking lots are easy shopping for them,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 7th 05, 04:16 AM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

Old January 7th 05, 03:58 PM
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On 7 Jan 2005 04:16:23 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>
>>> Generally speaking, the least-desirable spaces (at least to soccer
>>> moms) are those out by the street, because they are farthest awa
>>> from the mall entrances. However, when cars are coming into the
>>> mall, where do they come from? The street. And when they leave,
>>> where do they go? The street. So when you park next to the street,
>>> you have a continual flow of vehicles coming and going from the
>>> mall, as well as vehicles just driving past. Lots of eyes to make
>>> the bad guys nervous.

>>Not really.Most of that traffic is not even paying attention to their
>>driving,and they would not stop or call police if they saw someone
>>messing with a vehicle. How are they to know if it's a criminal or the
>>owner?

> Do you think the average criminal knows all that?

Yes,they depend on it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Parking brake on C5 C5John Corvette 6 January 13th 05 04:58 PM
Speeding: the fundamental cause of MFFY Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Driving 82 December 23rd 04 01:10 AM
California Parking Ticket last Summer - out of state vehicle The Big Biker Driving 2 December 7th 04 07:40 PM