like the new Dodge Challenger?

Old August 9th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
grappletech

Default like the new Dodge Challenger?

I like it, but the shape/structure is a bit odd. It definitely doesn't
have the same clean, flowing lines as the original Challenger/Barracuda
1970-1974 E bodies. The new Challenger seems a bit chunky and fatter
and not as low and long. They should have used the exact same
lines/specs. Of course the bumpers would look different.

Sickening story about a family owned E body.

My dad bought a '72 Barracuda (sahara beige color, looks better than it
sounds) in '78 for like $700 (damn, cars were cheap back then). My
uncle loved that car and kept pestering my dad to sell it to him. So in
1980, my dad traded it to my uncle for an air compressor and some other
stuff. My uncle kept it and cherished it for 16 years. Then my uncle
gave it to my idiot cousin in '96 when it was still in great shape.
It's never been out of CA, thus no rust. It still ran great in '96. My
idiot cousin had a ratty late 70's Pontiac Trans-AM. His buddy did some
work on the Pontiac -- installed a new carb and a rebuilt tranny (that
my cousin had bought), and in lieu of payment, my cousin gives him the
Barracuda! I didn't find out until 6 months later when his friend had
already re-sold it. I wanted that car. I would have kept it original.
It's probably got a 340 or a Hemi crate motor in it now and is probably
black or red.

My dad used to own a lot of muscle cars in the 70's. They were cheap.
GTO's, Cudas, Mustangs, Chargers, CHevelles, etc.. $500-$800 or so
would get you a nice one. And British cars too. 8 year old MG's could
be bought for $300-$400. He won $200 by beating a friend in a race up a
twisty, windy abandoned mountain road. His friend was in a 440ci
Charger. My dad was in a $200 Austin-Healey bugeye Sprite. The
superior handling of the Austin-Healey enabled my dad to scamper up the
hill faster than the huge Charger.